Doogie says "five wins maximum" for Gophs in 2010

He said Keanon Cooper was a disappointment and should be moved, I don't think so.

Cooper is definitely NOT a disappointment. I like him, but think he may get eaten alive at LB. He would look great opposite Royston.

For gambling purposes, no - they weren't close.

But Wisconsin and Iowa were close, winnable games, if by score alone.

PSU, Cal, and OSU were all closer than the final score appeared, and basically we lost those games because the offense couldn't get first downs to allow the defense some rest in the second half.

Cal was a decent game.

PSU and OSU? No way. PSU won that game so methodically it looked like they were playing a scrimmage. The Gophers DIDN'T SCORE. PSU out gained the Gophers by over 300 yards. OSU? A TD in the final minutes doesn't make the game competitive. We lost by 31 points, and it should have been 38. That's a blowout any way you cut it. The homerism here is unbelievable.

Agree onCooper, but Royston is definitely overrated, I hope they can find better.

GopherFan,

I don't get your point. My point was that Syracuse, Air Force, Michigan State and South Dakota State were also close games -- much closer than Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. If one or two plays in those games go in a different direction, the Gophers might not even get six wins last season. It doesn't matter that Air Force and Michigan State were bowl teams.

That's not uneducated. That's the reality.

You're mistake is expecting the homer's here to understand the term 'reality'. You are, of course, absolutely correct. One blown play against SDSU, and we lose and the season looks pretty crummy. On these boards, though, that's forgotten in all the talk of 'how close' the PSU and OSU games ACTUALLY were if you were simply to close one eye, squint hard, cover your ears and say, "LA LA LA" really loud.

WIN LOSE DRAW

wa wa wa

Yea I'd like to win.

You critisize Brew.

But I appreciate the talent he is bringing in. Ten times better then before.

When our line gets it on we will be tough... Bring in the backfield....

Cooper is definitely NOT a disappointment. I like him, but think he may get eaten alive at LB. He would look great opposite Royston.

did he get eaten alive last year???? No!!

Well at least he didn't pick them to win 11 so he could rail on them when they fail. I think 5 is about right honestly, anything more and we should be in good shape. 5 wins or less and Brew is on the hot seat in 2011 to win big or he's gone.

Agree. Haven't seen anything from Brewster and the team to lead me to believe they're capable of any more than five or maybe six wins.

10-15 snaps per game: No. If he has to play 55-65 snaps per game, like he will as a presumed starter, I think he may.

Cooper is a straight baller, he says he is going to block a kick and then goes in and does it. He will make a lot of big plays, causing fumbles, picking up fumbles, blocking kicks.

I think this could be their most talented team in 5-years. Was impressed on Saturday by Wilhite, Kirksey, and even Wills. The schedule frightens me though. Actually on record saying he can have 2011 in my mind if we see measurable progress without the wins. Win 5 games, but they find a RB, McKnight improves, Allen improves, the O-line improves, the penalties go way down, and the D-line plays like I think they're capable of playing, would have no issue with him returning.

If this is the most talented team in 5 years, then the Gophers should win more than 5 games. My issue with giving Brewster another year if he wins 5 (or 6) games is that it just delays the inevitable. If the excuse in 2010 is "the schedule" (just like it was in 2009), what is the excuse in 2011? I already know what it is and that is "we have a first year starter at QB". The refrain in the 2010 offseason will be that if the new QB (be it Gray or Alipate) shows improvement then 6 wins is ok. All of a sudden we are approaching Mason territory of continuing to keep a coach who is not competing for titles and is showing no signs of doing so.

I hope Brewster gets it done this year, but if not, I hope a change is made. I think by year 4 it is reasonable to expect a .500 conference record. I don't want a lame duck year that kills recruiting ( I am already concerned about Brewster's ability to recruit this year on the hot seat).

If this is the most talented team in 5 years, then the Gophers should win more than 5 games. My issue with giving Brewster another year if he wins 5 (or 6) games is that it just delays the inevitable. If the excuse in 2010 is "the schedule" (just like it was in 2009), what is the excuse in 2011? I already know what it is and that is "we have a first year starter at QB". The refrain in the 2010 offseason will be that if the new QB (be it Gray or Alipate) shows improvement then 6 wins is ok. All of a sudden we are approaching Mason territory of continuing to keep a coach who is not competing for titles and is showing no signs of doing so.

I hope Brewster gets it done this year, but if not, I hope a change is made. I think by year 4 it is reasonable to expect a .500 conference record. I don't want a lame duck year that kills recruiting ( I am already concerned about Brewster's ability to recruit this year on the hot seat).

I agree with you. There is always excuses on why something did not happen, but we need to find a way to win some close games we almost always find a way to lose. Less than 7 wins should put Brew on the hot seat, IMO...

We won't have a new starting QB in 2011, Gray will be starting at some point this season (especially if it looks like we are headed for 5 wins)

What this program needs is stability. Barring an epic collapse Brewster should be given a chance in 2011.

The team will go 3-9, 4-8, or 5-7, and the long debate

about Maturi's decison to hire an unproven, no name guy will be over.

Four years, a lot of talk and nothing else.

Book it, it will all start over soon.

They probably will lose to either MTSU or N. Ill. They willl lose to Iowa and Wisconsin. They will lose to PSU and OSU. They will lose at MSU and most likely at Purdue. They will lose to S. Cal. They may lose at Ill and NU may win here.

OK, they may actually win two games, but the program is acually on the upswing, as both Maturdi and Brewster will be gone.

Wins: USD,

Losses : PSU, USC, Wisc. Iowa , OSU

toss ups/ leaning wrong way - the rest

4 -8 at best

?

about Maturi's decison to hire an unproven, no name guy will be over.

Four years, a lot of talk and nothing else.

Book it, it will all start over soon.

They probably will lose to either MTSU or N. Ill. They willl lose to Iowa and Wisconsin. They will lose to PSU and OSU. They will lose at MSU and most likely at Purdue. They will lose to S. Cal. They may lose at Ill and NU may win here.

OK, they may actually win two games, but the program is acually on the upswing, as both Maturdi and Brewster will be gone.

Wins: USD,

Losses : PSU, USC, Wisc. Iowa , OSU

toss ups/ leaning wrong way - the rest

4 -8 at best

You are a complete idiot

I agree with you and I think we have seen that the recruiting classes are starting to decline because the recruits expect to see wins after a few seasons of a new coach and he cannot sell the new aproach/playing time speech anymore.

Bankonit, you really think 4-8 in not very possible?

You are a complete idiot

You are also a name caller, so your IQ may be lacking, and I'll be understanding since that is all the ammo you apparently have.

I'll look for the apology in November.

9-3 would make me very happy. 10 wins was not

good enough a few years back, but I'd be very happy with 9-3.

So Bankonit, what record is bad enought for you to call for the firing of your hero?

2-10?

3-9?

4 -8

5-7

Please go on the record, and give us a number.

If he had run the offense in 2007 that we will see this year, or a Shanahan style running offense, he would have lot more space, but he didn't, did he?

2-10, but coaches don't win games, players do and Brewster has brought the players that will take us to a January bowl so I am not worried about him getting fired

2-10, but coaches don't win games, players do and Brewster has brought the players that will take us to a January bowl so I am not worried about him getting fired

Bad coaching and lack of staff stability can sure cost you games. You also realize that the recruiting classes have been declining right?

3-9 and he stays!!!!! That is rich, who else

wants to go on the record as backing Brewster with those results?

Any less than 7-6 including a bowl win and a win over IA or WI means your TE coach is going back to somewhere no one ever asks him a question, meaning he will not need spit out the usual cliched tripe ever again.

I for one will not miss him. I'll miss Brewster about as much as I'll miss Sean Henderson.

You Kook Aid drinkers can have a ceremony down on the Riverflats, burn some candles, watch old "motivational" clips, and talk about the star ratings. In fact, practice putting the "axe on your back".

good enough a few years back, but I'd be very happy with 9-3.

So Bankonit, what record is bad enought for you to call for the firing of your hero?

2-10?

3-9?

4 -8

5-7

Please go on the record, and give us a number.

If he had run the offense in 2007 that we will see this year, or a Shanahan style running offense, he would have lot more space, but he didn't, did he?

When was 10 wins not good enough? We've had one coach who could not even accomplish a 3rd place finish in his own conference in a DECADE and another coach who is 0-3 years in rivalry games. I'd love to be in the position where there could be discontent over a coach that won 10 games a year.

Costa Rica, you have it right: USC should not be on our schedule - but wouldn't it be wonderful if we knocked them off? Shades of '65 - I was there as a kid - but it took a blizzard to help.

I think this could be their most talented team in 5-years. Was impressed on Saturday by Wilhite, Kirksey, and even Wills. The schedule frightens me though. Actually on record saying he can have 2011 in my mind if we see measurable progress without the wins. Win 5 games, but they find a RB, McKnight improves, Allen improves, the O-line improves, the penalties go way down, and the D-line plays like I think they're capable of playing, would have no issue with him returning.

I have pestered you aplenty on this board, but appreciate the objective analysis given here and agree this could be the most talented team in a while. And that's significant because a good deal of that talent is still young. Also, I wouldn't let the schedule bother too much. Yes it's tough, but it also means there can be no taking Saturday for granted. Sometimes that helps a talented team. All depends.

Why does anybody care what Doogie predicts? He is just a "fan" with a bigger platform than most of us. Last spring he was praising the Jedd Fisch hire and predicting he would be the next coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers. If his prediction this year is as accurate as last year we are in for a breakthrough season.

No knock on Doogie but IMO our fans would learn more by reading a blog like http://www.fringebowlteam.blogspot.com/ where the author is at another level of knowledge and passion for the Gophers while still maintaining objectivity (not always drinking the Kool-Aid) because he is a college football fan broadly.

Why does anybody care what Doogie predicts? He is just a "fan" with a bigger platform than most of us. Last spring he was praising the Jedd Fisch hire and predicting he would be the next coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers. If his prediction this year is as accurate as last year we are in for a breakthrough season.

No knock on Doogie but IMO our fans would learn more by reading a blog like http://www.fringebowlteam.blogspot.com/ where the author is at another level of knowledge and passion for the Gophers while still maintaining objectivity (not always drinking the Kool-Aid) because he is a college football fan broadly.

I shamelessly support this post :D

I disagree completely. I watched him a lot at LB last year and I didn't think he looked that good making his drops at LB. If he sometimes struggled in his drops at LB how do you think he would look at SS where it is a bigger component of the position? Rallis is playing SLB instead of moving Cooper over there because Rallis is better at making drops (SLB lines up over the TE which puts more pressure on him in the passing game) and we all know Rallis was better in run support at SS than he was in the passing game.

I really like Cooper and think he can be a great player but I don't think he would be a great player at SS.

Will be the first to admit that Fisch grew on me last March, but after finding out about the tweak in Weber's throwing style and the hand-signals, I slowly backed off ... also, when did I ever say that he would be the next coach?
Thanks for the Cooper info. Still unsure of his ability to be productive for 60+ snaps per game at WLB.

Top Bottom