Doogie on Gophers HC job: Miles would have interest in the job; Sam Mitchell would love this job; Marquette outworked Gophers staff for Dawson Garcia

I’m going to go with the reporter doogie that it could never happen because it is too expensive to fire him

Doogie is useless.

He pawns off likely speculation (stuff we all could imagine) as insider information. He has been doing it for years. He used to post here and I challenged him to a predictions contest (while fully admitting that I had zero insider information) and the winner would have to buy the other guy lunch. He seemed like a nice guy but he really has zero inside information.

Some likely Doogie-type speculation in the next couple of months:

If the Vikings struggle to make the playoffs, the Vikings could look to replace not only Mike Zimmer but Rick Spielman.

I'm hearing that KAT potentially might request a trade this offseason.

Sidney Lowe would have interest in the Gophers head coaching job.

I once heard Sam Mitchell say on a podcast that his diagnosis ofAndrew Wiggins not reaching his potential is because “He’s not playing at the 2 guard”. I’ll reiterate my no vote on that asinine comment right there. Let alone his lack of college experience and his mediocre at best NBA resume. I don’t know if I’d even want Sam as an asst coach

Not to derail the thread, but I don't necessarily disagree with him.

First, let me say that I do not think it would have untapped Wiggins potential, but I think it's pretty clear Wiggins should have been playing SG.

Rebounding:
He is an atrocious rebounder. Like almost historically bad considering his athletic profile. His rebound rate is about the same as DeAngelo Russell (unathletic PG). His inability to rebound makes him almost unplayable at SF.

Defense:
Wiggins was always a considerably better on-ball defender than off the ball. Wiggins would have always been a defensive liability, but he could at least bother people a little when he was defending on the ball. Off the ball, he'd get lost, he'd help out at horrible times, and he couldn't rebound. Statistically (and almost universally), SGs defend the ball more than SFs.

Offense:
Wiggins had no handle. He would have been a liability in the backcourt, so you would have had to play him with a ball dominant PG or run the offense through the C (like Denver). I'm not downplaying that Wiggins as your SG would create serious ball handling issues. It would.

Shooting. It is a problem at SG but it actually create more of a problem at SF. Teams tended to put larger people on Wiggins and sag off a bit. Let him shoot. Wiggins could easily post up SGs and they really posed much less of a defense to him driving. Essentially, Wiggins could bully SGs and he actually did a decent enough job at it.

Moving Wiggins to SF essentially highlighted his biggest weaknesses and minimized some of his few strengths. Again, I'm not saying Wiggins would have been a star or even good, I'm just saying he should have been getting almost all of his minutes as a SG.

Not to derail the thread, but I don't necessarily disagree with him.

First, let me say that I do not think it would have untapped Wiggins potential, but I think it's pretty clear Wiggins should have been playing SG.

Rebounding:
He is an atrocious rebounder. Like almost historically bad considering his athletic profile. His rebound rate is about the same as DeAngelo Russell (unathletic PG). His inability to rebound makes him almost unplayable at SF.

Defense:
Wiggins was always a considerably better on-ball defender than off the ball. Wiggins would have always been a defensive liability, but he could at least bother people a little when he was defending on the ball. Off the ball, he'd get lost, he'd help out at horrible times, and he couldn't rebound. Statistically (and almost universally), SGs defend the ball more than SFs.

Offense:
Wiggins had no handle. He would have been a liability in the backcourt, so you would have had to play him with a ball dominant PG or run the offense through the C (like Denver). I'm not downplaying that Wiggins as your SG would create serious ball handling issues. It would.

Shooting. It is a problem at SG but it actually create more of a problem at SF. Teams tended to put larger people on Wiggins and sag off a bit. Let him shoot. Wiggins could easily post up SGs and they really posed much less of a defense to him driving. Essentially, Wiggins could bully SGs and he actually did a decent enough job at it.

Moving Wiggins to SF essentially highlighted his biggest weaknesses and minimized some of his few strengths. Again, I'm not saying Wiggins would have been a star or even good, I'm just saying he should have been getting almost all of his minutes as a SG.

Solid critique and I don't disagree about his usage being used inappropriately or your assessment of Wiggins skillset. My issue with the Sam Mitchell comment/assessment was that I had was that he found the difference between the 2 and 3 that drastic. In most or all the NBA games I watch, the 2 and 3 are not identified and separate anymore. In many cases, the 1-3 are interchangeable and it's all dependant on defensive match ups and skill set meshing offensively. In the interview I listened to, Sam was talking about the NBA like it was still in the late 90's early 2000's. I don't want any coach at the U that is so concrete and not evolved with how the game is played. I do agree 100% that I've seen very few number 1 picks be put in situations that went against what they were good at at such a young age though, but that would be for a I hate Thibs thread on another board.

He pawns off likely speculation (stuff we all could imagine) as insider information. He has been doing it for years. He used to post here and I challenged him to a predictions contest (while fully admitting that I had zero insider information) and the winner would have to buy the other guy lunch. He seemed like a nice guy but he really has zero inside information.

Some likely Doogie-type speculation in the next couple of months:

If the Vikings struggle to make the playoffs, the Vikings could look to replace not only Mike Zimmer but Rick Spielman.

I'm hearing that KAT potentially might request a trade this offseason.

Sidney Lowe would have interest in the Gophers head coaching job.

Nailed it.3 qualifiers and 2 caveats with every prediction. “If”, “maybe”, “I’ve heard”. Same as shama

Solid critique and I don't disagree about his usage being used inappropriately or your assessment of Wiggins skillset. My issue with the Sam Mitchell comment/assessment was that I had was that he found the difference between the 2 and 3 that drastic. In most or all the NBA games I watch, the 2 and 3 are not identified and separate anymore. In many cases, the 1-3 are interchangeable and it's all dependant on defensive match ups and skill set meshing offensively. In the interview I listened to, Sam was talking about the NBA like it was still in the late 90's early 2000's. I don't want any coach at the U that is so concrete and not evolved with how the game is played. I do agree 100% that I've seen very few number 1 picks be put in situations that went against what they were good at at such a young age though, but that would be for a I hate Thibs thread on another board.

You're 100% right. IT wouldn't have made much of a difference for precisely the reasons you pointed out. I believe Sam's reasoning was something stupid too, like "that's where you put your go-to players", which means even if he came to the right conclusion, it was by luck. He is obviously very tethered to traditional concepts of basketball positions, which is incredibly outdated (especially in college).

I agree with you on Thibs. He's a buffoon.

Hard pass on both. Mitchell I guess as a last resort. Tim Miles would be worse than our current HC IMO.
I don't know Miles at least had a pretty decent track record of successful head coaching before Nebraska. He even brought that mess to the NCAA tourney. With that said, I still would pass on him.

Seriously, I wonder what school it is that they are talking about. Georgia Tech? Miami? SMU?

Funny! Can't imagine why the first two would even consider it and SMU is doing pretty well this year.

I have no idea but I would tend to list schools like this:

North Florida Ospreys (Atlantic Sun Conference, 8-15 overall)
Rice Owls (conference USA, 12-12 overall)
Lamar Cardinals (7-17 in the Southland); they had another son of a famous coach crash and burn; maybe they'll be a little luckier with Pitino although their current coach has a .493 winning percentage over 8 years which isn't bad for them lately and much better than Pat Knight's overall record

I don't know Miles at least had a pretty decent track record of successful head coaching before Nebraska. He even brought that mess to the NCAA tourney. With that said, I still would pass on him.

Yes, Miles did have some decent success at other schools but Miles had problems beyond his record. He had a pretty high transfer rate. I would rather see a less experienced coach hired than see Miles hired.

Yes, Miles did have some decent success at other schools but Miles had problems beyond his record. He had a pretty high transfer rate. I would rather see a less experienced coach hired than see Miles hired.
Same here...was just replying that I don't think Miles is a worse option than Pitino. I think if it was between those 2 and those 2 only I'd take Miles moving forward.

I’m guessing it’s in the mid major ranks. A lot of bad teams and options in the AAC and Conference USA

Pitino probably could survive for 8 years in Conference USA by making the NIT once or twice and beating Western KY a couple of times.

AAC is a different matter. They seem to at least have pretensions of becoming a power conference. Of course, there are some schools in the conference (South Florida, Tulane, East Carolina) who haven't done much of anything for some time. Tulane's last winning record was 2012-13 under current Gophers' assistant Ed Conroy.

Same here...was just replying that I don't think Miles is a worse option than Pitino. I think if it was between those 2 and those 2 only I'd take Miles moving forward.

I would agree with that.

Miles built the CSU program, and in a lot of ways Smith learned the ropes from Miles, and plays a similar style at Utah State. That Husker job has chewed up a lot of coaches, and it was in latter stages that Miles started losing players. . .some good ones eg. Jeriah Horne (now at CU), Ed Morrow, Michael Jacobson. Snowball effect and it spelled the end for Miles at Nebraska. He remains an energetic guy, and while it won't happen now, if it had been Miles who was hired by the Gophers (instead of Nebraska hiring him), just an opinion, I believe he'd have done a good job at Minnesota. Turn the clock forward to now, and probably unrealistic to think Miles is a candidate.

I always rag on Doggie for just plain making stuff up and if he guesses right claiming credit but it's the opposite of what Reusse is saying as far as who and what we can afford. Someone has to be right. It's unfortunate it has to be one of those two.

SMU's been mentioned here. It's an odd situation. Covid's hit them hard, but by record, they look good. Despite this, there continues to be some chatter around Dallas as to whether Jancovich will be retained. SMU's been spending big $$$ both on the campus infrastructure itself, and wants to establish its brand in athletics. Fertile recruiting ground both in hoops and football, which is why you may notice "Dallas" or "D" showing up on uniforms and elsewhere, as opposed to just "SMU".

Doogie Type Speculation

I am being told by people in the know that former Timberwolf, Pooh Richardson has expressed interest and would take the job of Gophers Men Basketball Coach

I am being told that a tough loss against Ohio St could be the first domino to fall in Fleck's exit as football coach at Minnesota.

That makes sense, given his ties to Florida, maybe one of the Florida Schools.
Miami. Coach is going to be 72 and has had 3 straight bad seasons.

Miami. Coach is going to be 72 and has had 3 straight bad seasons.

Would you hire Richard Pitino if you were Miami? I certainly think they can do better.

Ruesse and Doogie both going with $$$ angle. I agree that Coyle is going to have to take that into account. That’s why Smith, Medved, and Gates have to be the front-runners.

Dutcher may have a MN out, but he makes good money to be in San Diego which is a top 25 program and tournament team every year. I don’t think he would come for $500,000 boost in pay and the his age is likely a factor.

Top Bottom