Doogie on Gophers HC job: Miles would have interest in the job; Sam Mitchell would love this job; Marquette outworked Gophers staff for Dawson Garcia

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Doogie was on Skor North today, chatting Gophers hoops HC situation. Here is what he said:

- I can't tell you the exact date, but it's pretty evident the move to fire Pitino is coming.
- Part of the issue, who exactly are the Gopher basketball boosters? Who are the big money Gopher basketball boosters? Ames left us, Sanford hasn't donated in years. No one knows.
- They'll have to borrow from the University central fund. I don't think they are paying the next HC $3-3.5MM. There is some flexibility. Are they paying the next HC $1.6-1.8MM?
- I will say by the way that Rick Pitino is working back channels to find a soft landing spot for Richard. The U would love to see that.
- There is a program right now that is doing its homework on Richard Pitino that has a head coach and they will fire their HC if they can get Richard. The school is in the South.
- If the have to pay him the buyout the optics are going to be bad.
- I didn't think 2-3 weeks ago we'd get to this spot.
- Dawson Garcia had Marquette's assistant worked Garcia harder than anyone on the Gophers staff. That's inexcusable. They waited too long to offer David Roddy. There was a mis-diagnosis on Jelly compared to McKinely Wright. Losing Ben Johnson to an assistant job at Xavier. You lose Ben Johnson Gophers alum to Xavier? That can't happen.
- Pitino is a great dude. Great Dad. Great husband, just good people. But you can't bring him back.
- PMac: 4 names I keep hearing: Medved, Ben Johnson, Musselman, Dutcher
- Judd: Musselman wants this job but Arkansas will work hard to keep him
- Doogie: Financials aside, Musselman would be the no brainer hire for me. But finances do matter.
- Tim Miles would have interest in this job.
- Sam Mitchell would love the Gophers job.

Go Gophers!!

He's obsessed with the finances, he asked an indoor track athlete if a Pitino firing would bother him. I feel bad for the Olympic sport athletes and those whose sport has been cut but the future of the athletic department is driven by success in football and basketball. He just loves stirring the pot for the uninformed, which shockingly is the Channel 5 modus operandi on all topics.

Last edited:

He's obsessed with the finances, he asked an indoor track athlete if a Pitino firing would bother him. I feel bad for the Olympic sport athletes and those whose sport has been cut but the future of the athletic department is driven by success in football and basketball. He just loves stirring the pot for the uninformed, which shockingly is the Channel 5 modus operandi on all topics.
I was listening to this interview and thought the same thing.

He doesn’t really understand the finances anyway. The money is there.

And the plan for the athletic department to take a loan from the budget office has been known for months. That is going to happen whether we hire a new basketball coach or not. The optics are always bad when anyone at the U gets a buyout. Nothing new there.

Ben Johnson as a head coach canidate? is that what that bullet was referring too?

Hard pass.
Just curious why? NBA pedigree- coaching and playing. NBA coach of the year in 2007. Got a taste of college coaching for a year in Memphis, so I’d assume he knows what it would entail as far as the recruiting grind.

Always seemed like a likable guy during his time here.

Just curious why? NBA pedigree- coaching and playing. NBA coach of the year in 2007. Got a taste of college coaching for a year in Memphis, so I’d assume he knows what it would entail as far as the recruiting grind.

No interest in anyone who hasn't been a college head coach. Especially if they spent 95% of their time in the NBA.

Look at his NBA coaching record. This isn't obviously always fair, as the roster is outside of his control, but it's uninspiring at best. He had ONE season as a college assistant under Penny before they parted ways (I don't know who's choice it was). He is a hard-nosed, old school guy. If he had no MN connections, his name wouldn't ever be brought up.

Ben Johnson or Musselman are my top choices.

I once heard Sam Mitchell say on a podcast that his diagnosis ofAndrew Wiggins not reaching his potential is because “He’s not playing at the 2 guard”. I’ll reiterate my no vote on that asinine comment right there. Let alone his lack of college experience and his mediocre at best NBA resume. I don’t know if I’d even want Sam as an asst coach

I once heard Sam Mitchell say on a podcast that his diagnosis ofAndrew Wiggins not reaching his potential is because “He’s not playing at the 2 guard”. I’ll reiterate my no vote on that asinine comment right there. Let alone his lack of college experience and his mediocre at best NBA resume. I don’t know if I’d even want Sam as an asst coach
wow

It would be the shocker of all-time if either Ben Johnson or Sam Mitchell got this job.

If that happens it would give a pretty good indication of how this job is viewed nationally if this was the best Coyle could do.

I laugh at all these "So and so is interested in the Minnesota job" takes. Well no kidding, but if we have no interest in them who cares. Sam Mitchell also said on KFAN last week that inside the Wolves organization they knew they had the next Durant, Westbrook, and Harden (OKC) with Towns, Wiggins, and Lavine. That right there disqualifies you.

I laugh at all these "So and so is interested in the Minnesota job" takes. Well no kidding, but if we have no interest in them who cares. Sam Mitchell also said on KFAN last week that inside the Wolves organization they knew they had the next Durant, Westbrook, and Harden (OKC) with Towns, Wiggins, and Lavine. That right there disqualifies you.
Mitchell is the weirdest name thrown around. I just don't get it and I like Mitchell. He just makes zero sense with the Gophers job.

Top Bottom