Doogie on Gophers HC job: Miles would have interest in the job; Sam Mitchell would love this job; Marquette outworked Gophers staff for Dawson Garcia

Ruesse and Doogie both going with $$$ angle. I agree that Coyle is going to have to take that into account. That’s why Smith, Medved, and Gates have to be the front-runners.

Dutcher may have a MN out, but he makes good money to be in San Diego which is a top 25 program and tournament team every year. I don’t think he would come for $500,000 boost in pay and the his age is likely a factor.

The only thing you could say though, that 500k is also larger when looking at cost of living too. I still agree with you though. I just don't see it.

We need someone who can either coach up players or bring in players with this type of attitude/energy.

This is the last time I saw a gopher team where each player had the look that said "I refuse to lose"

What is this nonsense about of being outworked for Dawson? Maybe Pitino misplayed his hand or didn’t bond with the kid, but the idea that Pitino simply didn’t work hard enough is an insult to the freedom of choice that these talented players have earned.

Dutcher has a fairly Sr-heavy roster as far as playing time, and I don't think the money side is as big an obstacle. If Gophers want him, it's not like he's being paid $4-5M per year. He does have some strong young guards, but other than Nathan Mensah, who is a Jr, he needs some big men in this recruiting cycle. That can be done at SDSU, or at Minnesota. Again as others have said, he has the clause in the contract, and I don't think he insisted on it as a negotiating ploy to stay at SDSU. Sure he may decide he wants to remain there, but that clause means something.

Ruesse and Doogie both going with $$$ angle. I agree that Coyle is going to have to take that into account. That’s why Smith, Medved, and Gates have to be the front-runners.

Dutcher may have a MN out, but he makes good money to be in San Diego which is a top 25 program and tournament team every year. I don’t think he would come for $500,000 boost in pay and the his age is likely a factor.
[/

Why build the lower buyout for MN into his contract then? I agree age is a factor, but I think it works the other way. He only has one big move left and it’s specifically to come here. That buyout is prohibitive for him to go anywhere else. His leverage for a big contract here is zero.
Not saying that I think he’s the guy, but if that’s who Coyle wants it should be pretty easy

Doogie does not know what he is talking about with finances. The U is in the top 20, slightly above or below depending on source, in the nation for revenue and expense. Like almost all universities, they have dropped some of the non-revenue sports.
We need someone who can either coach up players or bring in players with this type of attitude/energy.

This is the last time I saw a gopher team where each player had the look that said "I refuse to lose"

That year was amazing and so much fun. That night at Williams arena after beating UCLA was unreal - as was the sub at Big Ten prior to going into The Barn. It can happen again.

Doogie does not know what he is talking about with finances. The U is in the top 20, slightly above or below depending on source, in the nation for revenue and expense. Like almost all universities, they have dropped some of the non-revenue sports.

That year was amazing and so much fun. That night at Williams arena after beating UCLA was unreal - as was the sub at Big Ten prior to going into The Barn. It can happen again.
The sub can certainly happen again!

I think it's safe to say we're going to get a decent coach out of the hiring process this time around. Medved feels like he's the basement hire and I think that's a pretty good guy to get.

I think it's safe to say we're going to get a decent coach out of the hiring process this time around. Medved feels like he's the basement hire and I think that's a pretty good guy to get.
Exactly, if that’s the worst we get, it’s still a better hiring situation than last time when we hired our 8th or 9th choice. Man the difference a competent AD can make.

What is this nonsense about of being outworked for Dawson? Maybe Pitino misplayed his hand or didn’t bond with the kid, but the idea that Pitino simply didn’t work hard enough is an insult to the freedom of choice that these talented players have earned.
didn't you know if MN coaches just try hard all the MN recruits will come here?

He's got us sweating out Pitino's massive buyout of $1.75 million. IU will pay $10 million to get rid of Archie. Texas paid far more than that to get rid of Tom Herman. I know we're not Texas but it's ridiculous that such a big deal is being made out of what is a tiny buyout by Power 5 standards.

He's got us sweating out Pitino's massive buyout of $1.75 million. IU will pay $10 million to get rid of Archie. Texas paid far more than that to get rid of Tom Herman. I know we're not Texas but it's ridiculous that such a big deal is being made out of what is a tiny buyout by Power 5 standards.
I don’t disagree with it being ridiculous that it’s an issue here vs other P5 schools, but we don’t have the boosters those programs do on the basketball side from everything I hear. Sounds like Coyle is still better at finding/creating money though which is a start. We can never expect the same success as the big dogs until you spend like them sadly. I think Coyles getting us there.

He's obsessed with the finances, he asked an indoor track athlete if a Pitino firing would bother him. I feel bad for the Olympic sport athletes and those whose sport has been cut but the future of the athletic department is driven by success in football and basketball. He just loves stirring the pot for the uninformed, which shockingly is the Channel 5 modus operandi on all topics.
He is beating a topic the Hubbards want to incense the public over: financial mismanagement at UMN. The Hubbards prize school is UST and them being a D1 school is a way to rub salt in UMN's wounds. UST is a private Catholic school which is very conservative and the falling out the Hubbards had with UMN's School of Journalism over radical progressive politics is the source of the animosity and opposition.

After the watching 8 years of complete lack of preparation and unprepared teams, you find it preposterous that Pitino could have got outworked?
i would go more with it's the former part of what you wrote rather than the latter. some players who are solid players see pitino can't coach for spit and don't want to play for him regardless of if they love the U or not

i would go more with it's the former part of what you wrote rather than the latter. some players who are solid players see pitino can't coach for spit and don't want to play for him regardless of if they love the U or not

You are probably right when you phrase it that way.

It is sad when the only thing left to argue about is whether Pitino's greatest fault was laziness or incompetence.

He is beating a topic the Hubbards want to incense the public over: financial mismanagement at UMN. The Hubbards prize school is UST and them being a D1 school is a way to rub salt in UMN's wounds. UST is a private Catholic school which is very conservative and the falling out the Hubbards had with UMN's School of Journalism over radical progressive politics is the source of the animosity and opposition.
KSTP is clickbait for the elderly.

Top Bottom