Doogie: I have every reason to believe Richard Pitino WILL be back as Gophers coach, there are just no signs

Jazz-Thunder postponed, 2 players undergoing evaluation for coronavirus. Huge blow, hope they are ok. Could happen just as easily to the NCAA players, god forbid.
If tourny teams don’t test positive, keep it on. No fans.

If tourny teams start testing positive, I understand a cancellation is warranted.

It doesn't seem like a good time to be conducting a coaching search. I'm now in the camp that says Pitino will be back.
F that.

G-D. SOB gets a free ride from a virus. Damn!

Speaking of coaches, it sounds like Hoiberg coached the late game and was sick. He was taken to the hospital to be checked on. He left before the end of the game.

As I said in another thread, Coyle can end all the speculation with one sentence.

Either A. "Richard Pitino will return as the Gophers coach in 20-21."

Or B. "Richard Pitino will not return as the Gophers coach in 20-21."

to this point, Coyle has said nothing. probably smart to keep all his options open - but it does allow the speculation to continue. whether he means to or not, Coyle is letting his coach twist in the wind.

If Coyle doesn’t 100% have another guy lined up, no way they fire a coach in this climate. Couldn’t even bring in guys to interview and make a new hire.

Would you hire somebody with phone interviews you are going to pay say $12 million dollars over the next 4 years? Plus, appease the regents on the several million in buyouts for the “hot” candidate you select
and pay off Richard? Seems pretty reckless to me.
I wanna feel the guy’s presence, read his body language, feel his enthusiasm or lack thereof etc etc
Coyle may only talk to one guy...it seems how he has done it before, and short term most are
positive hires. But, I dunno...you could be right for Coyle. I’d prefer something more thorough in his quick fashion M.O.
If he is pulling the trigger.

What if we beat Iowa and then the tourney gets canceled? Does whether we beat Iowa matter to Coyle at all?

No chance. They've made their decision and TV money/power alone dictates that this is what it will be.

Like I said, we're not dealing with ebola that spreads like measles, here. It's serious enough to cancel fan attendance, that makes sense. But people aren't dropping like flies.

= win vs NW today, lose tomorrow, and the gtfo Richard. Be gone
All it takes is one player testing positive and they'll cancel it. At this point, it would be surprising if that doesn't happen.

Would you hire somebody with phone interviews you are going to pay say $12 million dollars over the next 4 years? Plus, appease the regents on the several million in buyouts for the “hot” candidate you select
and pay off Richard? Seems pretty reckless to me.
I wanna feel the guy’s presence, read his body language, feel his enthusiasm or lack thereof etc etc
Coyle may only talk to one guy...it seems how he has done it before, and short term most are
positive hires. But, I dunno...you could be right for Coyle. I’d prefer something more thorough in his quick fashion M.O.
If he is pulling the trigger.

What if we beat Iowa and then the tourney gets canceled? Does whether we beat Iowa matter to Coyle at all?
Tubby took the job without ever coming here first. They know what the job is and Coyle knows them.

I get that. I was trying to bring some levity to Richard Pitino's plight and the tenuous status of the NCAA Tournament. My bad. I will wear that.

I have intentionally stayed out of Pitino's job status one way or another because each side is divided so vehemently, it's as toxic as today's politics. Really sad. At least you have said you will still support the team either way, which is more than some.
If you really believe Badger supports MN you need to reassess.

All it takes is one player testing positive and they'll cancel it. At this point, it would be surprising if that doesn't happen.
It could, but so far it has not.

Hoiberg has the flu, not CoV. Nebraska team released from quarantine. Big Ten tourny goes on.

NCAA tourny goes on.

I can not be right because i have no clue who Mr. Coyle would want or can get. The group i talk with wants Grant. Fully trust Coyle to do what he thinks is best. Season plays out first.
Can you expound on why your group wants Grant? Curious to hear your thoughts.

It could, but so far it has not.

Hoiberg has the flu, not CoV. Nebraska team released from quarantine. Big Ten tourny goes on.

NCAA tourny goes on.
Charles Barkley, who works for the network televising the event, just advocated cancellation. Strongly.

Charles Barkley, who works for the network televising the event, just advocated cancellation. Strongly.
Sure. Easy, populist thing for him to say.

Is Barkley going to pay the NCAA whatever hundreds of millions that TV is set to pay?

COVID gives everyone a free pass.... Pitino stays due to everything getting the reset button.

Still waiting for the nimrods to explain how Pitino won Big Ten Coach of the Year in 2017...Big Upset over Louiville in 2019 Big Dance.... Plus 30 pts vs Big Ten Teams this season....But for some reason he forgot how to coach.....Amazing

COVID gives everyone a free pass.... Pitino stays due to everything getting the reset button.
After the Gophs beat the Hawks today the Big 10 cancels all remaining tournament games. Since the Gophers were the only team to win two games they are declared tournament champions and get an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

New information came out. (y)
Of course there was new information, that was my whole point when you were said yesterday there was "No chance". I said, things change. Not exactly clairvoyant on my part, but you failed to grasp the obvious.

Things are still changing. 2 NBA players now positive. FIBA has suspended games. Dozens of the schools on-line only, yet still good with playing games? Seriously?

Reactions: SDR

Starting to look strongly like this will be the case.

Everything will be frozen for a few months, at least.

Not exactly clairvoyant on my part
No you weren't. So you have zero justification for coming at anyone.

Moving on. I was wrong. Ok happy now? Or, which pound of flesh from me do you want me to FedEx you? Lovehandle? Thigh?

Top Bottom