Doogie: Five names to watch as Gophers football coaching search narrows

I still feel the smart money is on Troy Calhoun.

I think he is the best of the final candidates. After that is has to be Mullen.

I agree, and of all the candidates being considered, for some reason I feel Calhoun would be the most likely to stay here for the long haul. I see Mullen bolting for the first big time SEC job that comes open. Edsall is a Syracuse alum. Would he go home someday? Golden has the Penn State ties to worry about.

Looks good. Glad to see the Sumlin fire has cooled.

It's nice to see the list narrow down to young up-and-comers that (seem to) have a grasp of both sides of the ball.

I agree, and of all the candidates being considered, for some reason I feel Calhoun would be the most likely to stay here for the long haul. I see Mullen bolting for the first big time SEC job that comes open. Edsall is a Syracuse alum. Would he go home someday? Golden has the Penn State ties to worry about.

You don't have to buy it, but I agree with Doogie when he said "Calhoun has that 'it' factor."

By "it" he somehow finds ways to win football games. I love his disciplin coming from a service academy and yes he would be least likely to bolt. The Air Force is his alma matter so, assuming that is his dream job, he doesn't need to go anywhere else. At this point if he takes the Minnesota job it is a matter of his own couriosity as to if he can succeed or not.

Was Doogie...Football Scoop....Schmit....throwing out Brew's name in 1997? I don't remember anyone speculating about Tubby a couple months later.

The "looks like it's coming down to a, b or c" would've been 100 percent wrong in both of those searches.

A) Why is this search any different in regards to trusting any of this?

B) I though the whole point of a search firm was partly because Maturi couldn't talk to anyone directly until their seasons were over.

Just curious.

Was Doogie...Football Scoop....Schmit....throwing out Brew's name in 1997? I don't remember anyone speculating about Tubby a couple months later.

The "looks like it's coming down to a, b or c" would've been 100 percent wrong in both of those searches.

A) Why is this search any different in regards to trusting any of this?

B) I though the whole point of a search firm was partly because Maturi couldn't talk to anyone directly until their seasons were over.

Just curious.

Well these are all rumors. One rumor we know is true and that is Hoke met with Maturi.

The search firm's job is to gauge interest by contacting agents of potential candidates. Maturi couldn't do all the leg work by himself.

Yes Maturi can't contact anyone until the REGULAR SEASON is finished. that is why I think these candidates are getting on the short list. Because their seasons have ended and now they can talk business.

Well these are all rumors. One rumor we know is true and that is Hoke met with Maturi.

The search firm's job is to gauge interest by contacting agents of potential candidates. Maturi couldn't do all the leg work by himself.

Yes Maturi can't contact anyone until the REGULAR SEASON is finished. that is why I think these candidates are getting on the short list. Because their seasons have ended and now they can talk business.

So he shouldn't have been able to meet with Hoke since they play Saturday.

As far as Calhoun goes, I would be cool with him being the next coach, but I am a little surprised that there seems to be pretty much universal interest in this guy as a coach.

Troy Calhoun walked into a good program that has won at a similar clip than before he was hired. He really just continued running Fischer DeBerry's schemes on offense, so as to what he would run in the Big 10 is a complete question mark. Defensively, his top notch D-Coordinator just went to Texas A & M.

So here is a coach who coaches in a situation that is completely different from our own (different recruiting, different kind of athlete), we are completely unaware of his offensive identity, and will most likely be without the defensive coordinator that was considered top notch. It seems to me that Calhoun would come with more question marks than the Hokes/Kills of the world.

So my question is, is the interest primarily a product of the "eye test"? Could possibly have anything to do with his lack of any sideburns?

So he shouldn't have been able to meet with Hoke since they play Saturday.

If permission is granted you can talk to a candidate anytime you want. Maturi has said that he would ask permission before interviewing any candidates, there's been no out pouring of indignation from SDSU, so you have to believe he recieved permission.

I still feel the smart money is on Troy Calhoun.

I think he is the best of the final candidates. After that is has to be Mullen.

Why do you like Calhoun so much? I personally would be extremely disappointed with Calhoun. Can you run a triple option in the Big Ten? Where is he going to recruit?

Oh no! Edsall isn't dominating at this current point in time. He must be a bad candidate. Love the gopherhole.

Why do you like Calhoun so much? I personally would be extremely disappointed with Calhoun. Can you run a triple option in the Big Ten? Where is he going to recruit?

As many others have said, there is no reason he'd have to stick to the Triple Option exclusively. He ran a more pro-style O when he was an OC. He simply kept the Triple Option when he took over at Air Force b/c that is what they were running successfully there.

First off, the triple option is a play. Not an offensive system. I think most people are worried about his Wishbone offense, as that seems to be outdated in today's NCAA.

We have gone over this dozens of times. Calhoun is coaching players he did not recruit for the most part. Those players were recruited to run the Wishbone (Triple Option) so he is sticking to that until he can switch philosophies more geared toward his style.

Second, where is he going to recruit? Where does everyone recruit? He will try to hit up Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, Nebraska, the Dakota's. Basically the midwest. Then he will fill players in from out West, south and east.

Calhoun has had to recruit players willing to give up four years of their lives serving their country since he took over at Air Force. Add that to the height, weight, and intelligence requirements he has been hamstrung since the beginning.

Let him try and recruit with little to no restrictions beyond academics. I think we will be impressed with him when it is all said and done.

All this Mullen talk is going to make me disappointed if we don't hire him. He's by far the best candidate of the ones mentioned IMHO.

Two negatives against Mullen:

1) Only has two years of head coaching experience
2) Sub .500 conference record (although toughest conference in the country)

First off, the triple option is a play. Not an offensive system. I think most people are worried about his Wishbone offense, as that seems to be outdated in today's NCAA.

We have gone over this dozens of times. Calhoun is coaching players he did not recruit for the most part. Those players were recruited to run the Wishbone (Triple Option) so he is sticking to that until he can switch philosophies more geared toward his style.

Second, where is he going to recruit? Where does everyone recruit? He will try to hit up Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, Nebraska, the Dakota's. Basically the midwest. Then he will fill players in from out West, south and east.

Calhoun has had to recruit players willing to give up four years of their lives serving their country since he took over at Air Force. Add that to the height, weight, and intelligence requirements he has been hamstrung since the beginning.

Let him try and recruit with little to no restrictions beyond academics. I think we will be impressed with him when it is all said and done.

First of all, I do not believe we have been over this "dozens of times." I look at his team, his system, his style of play and say that is not likely to work in the Big Ten.

As for recruiting, I think you are missing the point. Recruiting has a lot to do with connections to certain parts of the nation and the ability to go into a high school building and get a foothold. It is like sales. Calhoun is a lifelong Air Force guy who is used to recruiting a lot of guys who come to him directly because of their desire to serve the country/play football. Where are his recruiting ties? Why do you think that he is going to be able to go from recruiting "specialty" recruits that have all of the characteristics you describe to making himself believable to the upper tier guys on the HS teams he is visiting?

Don't get me wrong, I want to like Calhoun. I think there is a decent chance he gets hired here, but I am having a lot of trouble getting on board with that hire. At least with Mullen you have the whole Florida connection and with Hoke you get his Michigan experience.

Two negatives against Mullen:

1) Only has two years of head coaching experience
2) Sub .500 conference record (although toughest conference in the country)

I hear what you are saying but those numbers are a bit deceiving. Hoke, too, has a pretty shoddy record if you just look at the W's and L's. But if you look at the shape of those programs (MS State and SDSU) compared to where they were before Mullen and Hoke arrived, they have definitely made major progress (in my mind).

I am with the Greek. I am sort of putting Mullen out of my mind because I'd rather not think we ever had a chance when we hire someone else.

First of all, I do not believe we have been over this "dozens of times." I look at his team, his system, his style of play and say that is not likely to work in the Big Ten.

As for recruiting, I think you are missing the point. Recruiting has a lot to do with connections to certain parts of the nation and the ability to go into a high school building and get a foothold. It is like sales. Calhoun is a lifelong Air Force guy who is used to recruiting a lot of guys who come to him directly because of their desire to serve the country/play football. Where are his recruiting ties? Why do you think that he is going to be able to go from recruiting "specialty" recruits that have all of the characteristics you describe to making himself believable to the upper tier guys on the HS teams he is visiting?

Don't get me wrong, I want to like Calhoun. I think there is a decent chance he gets hired here, but I am having a lot of trouble getting on board with that hire. At least with Mullen you have the whole Florida connection and with Hoke you get his Michigan experience.

No one just develops recruiting ties because thats where they live. Calhoun will develop ties at least in the state of Minnesota by visiting high schools and getting to know HS coaches. That was one thing Brewster was good for. HS coaches knew him and he visited often. Something Mason never did.

You also develop pipelines through your assistant coaches. I remember when I was at NDSU Willy Mac Garza (co-defensive coordinator/defensive backs) was our guy for the state of Texas as that is where he was from and coached.

You can't tell me Calhoun being as close to California in Colorado doesn't know a thing or two about those players.

Who knows maybe he will hire a recruiting coordinator as well. Recruiting is recruiting, something everyone has to deal with, but I think they know how to make it work no matter where they are.

No one just develops recruiting ties because thats where they live. Calhoun will develop ties at least in the state of Minnesota by visiting high schools and getting to know HS coaches. That was one thing Brewster was good for. HS coaches knew him and he visited often. Something Mason never did.

You also develop pipelines through your assistant coaches. I remember when I was at NDSU Willy Mac Garza (co-defensive coordinator/defensive backs) was our guy for the state of Texas as that is where he was from and coached.

You can't tell me Calhoun being as close to California in Colorado doesn't know a thing or two about those players.

Who knows maybe he will hire a recruiting coordinator as well. Recruiting is recruiting, something everyone has to deal with, but I think they know how to make it work no matter where they are.

NM

Re Calhoun..."When you watch his teams, they are extremely well-conditioned and disciplined. He also carries himself as a successful head coach".

Doogie...Calhoun coaches at Air Force. Of course they are well conditioned. And I would think Discipline would be the norm for a service school.

I agree Sec105, there seems to be some giant unknowns when it comes to Calhoun.

-Are his teams really well conditioned or is it a product of being in Colorado Springs and a service school?
-Will he be able to recruit kids? (I'm not saying he wont, it's just an unknown. Recruiting at Air Force is a completely different animal than in the Big 10. I'm not saying it's easier or harder, it's just entirely different).
-Would we all be raging about how "well coached" his teams were if he were at Colorado St. rather than being at Air Force? (Is it a product of an exceptional caliber of kid going there or a great coach)
-What is his offensive identity?
-What is his defensive identity? (DeRuyter had been coaching at Air Force off and on prior to Calhoun going to Air Force)

So basically, Calhoun walked into a decent program that had a built in offensive and defensive system in which he didn't recruit in the same way he would at MN and he wouldn't have to worry about discipline and conditioning to the same degree. It just seems like a lot of question marks.

Just don't see why the interest in Calhoun. Minnesota Mediocre at best with him. Just don't see us pushing tOSU, Iowa, Wisky or Neb. with his background. Would also start all over on the type of players he needs to run the 1960's offense.

Mullins has recruiting connections in FL and the deep south. Much better prospects than in CA in recent years. Used to coaching in the best conference. Much better chance to rise above 7th in the big 10 and play in a real bowl.

Longtime....

I doubt Calhoun would run a similar offense here as he does at Air Force. He has a background coaching offense (and defense) in the pro game, I'd imagine it would be a more pro style set (but I don't know, that is why it is a big ? with him). All of the service schools tend to run a similar offense because they need to run something that doesn't require real big lineman.

-Are his teams really well conditioned or is it a product of being in Colorado Springs and a service school?
-Will he be able to recruit kids? (I'm not saying he wont, it's just an unknown. Recruiting at Air Force is a completely different animal than in the Big 10. I'm not saying it's easier or harder, it's just entirely different).
-Would we all be raging about how "well coached" his teams were if he were at Colorado St. rather than being at Air Force? (Is it a product of an exceptional caliber of kid going there or a great coach)
-What is his offensive identity?
-What is his defensive identity? (DeRuyter had been coaching at Air Force off and on prior to Calhoun going to Air Force)

So basically, Calhoun walked into a decent program that had a built in offensive and defensive system in which he didn't recruit in the same way he would at MN and he wouldn't have to worry about discipline and conditioning to the same degree. It just seems like a lot of question marks.

Loblaw- you do a good job of synthesizing my concerns as well. I have some pretty major trepidation about Calhoun and this sums it up pretty well.

Doogie...Calhoun coaches at Air Force. Of course they are well conditioned. And I would think Discipline would be the norm for a service school.

I bet if you talk to Notre Dame coaches/players -- they played Army & Navy -- they would tell you that conditioning-wise, it was a blowout in Navy's favor... I remember talking to a couple players after last year's game against Air Force... they were struck by how strong/focused AF was in the 2nd half... point = still different levels of conditioning even with service academies... and we are still talking about 18-21 year olds... so, Calhoun gets no credit for instilling some of that discipline?

All I want is a coach to stay and build and then leave the program a Championship Program!!! I want the Head Coach, to hire Assistant coaches that STAY and build the program!!! Build with a Identity, smash mouth football, throw=complete it when needed!! Defense that is stopping the opponents when needed!!!

MAKE US PROUD!!!! I want a Rose Bowl before a Super Bowl!!!

-(1) Are his teams really well conditioned or is it a product of being in Colorado Springs and a service school?
-(2)Will he be able to recruit kids? (I'm not saying he wont, it's just an unknown. Recruiting at Air Force is a completely different animal than in the Big 10. I'm not saying it's easier or harder, it's just entirely different).
-(3)Would we all be raging about how "well coached" his teams were if he were at Colorado St. rather than being at Air Force? (Is it a product of an exceptional caliber of kid going there or a great coach)
-(4)What is his offensive identity?
-(5)What is his defensive identity? (DeRuyter had been coaching at Air Force off and on prior to Calhoun going to Air Force)

(1) I think this is a legit concern as obviously they require more than the average school in regards to staying in shape. Each person at that institution is in shape. However, Calhoun is an Air Force grad and he is a product of that disciplined system. Which leads me to believe that he will continue to keep his kids in shape and disciplined no matter where he is coaching.

(2) Recruiting is a question mark for any coach. Could Leach recruit kids to a cold city to try and run an Air Raid offense? I think he could, but there is your question mark. Kids want to play football and I think Calhoun could bring kids to Minnesota both in the state and out of the state.

(3) Can't it be both? Can't there be both a great kid who chooses to serve his country and play under a great head coach who manages to get the best out of him? I don't know maybe I am just being a wishful thinker

(4) As of right now his offensive identity is a base wishbone. For all we know he will stick with it if he chose to come to Minnesota. However, this is a guy who has a long successful record on the offensive side of the ball at both the NFL and college level, being a coordinator and a quarterbacks coach. There is nothing that leads me to believe he could not adapt his offensive scheme to better suit the Big 10.

(5) Defense is different than offense (obviously) and I'm not sure there is a scheme that simply won't work in the Big 10. I'm sure he would hire a great defensive coordinator and stick with him, unlike Brewster and his 12 coordinators on both sides of the ball (I exaggerated the number of course)

MN

I thought Maturi wanted someone who "gets MN". I don't claim to know what this practically means, but how do any of these 5 fit this bill? Is this why he likes Hoke? He's an OH guy with a lot years coaching in Michigan and Indiana, - is this "as MN as it gets"?

With Calhoun you do get a very hard-working disciplinarian who was a QB at USAFA. Good offensive mind and pedigree. He's young, and he worked with Brewster on the Broncos staff (would he make Brewster our TE coach?). Mullen is considered an offense guru, and Golden to a lesser degree as well. Where does the DE come with any of these guys? One encouraging thing is that most of these guys would be getting a nice raise at 1.5mil - 2 mil a year, and since the U seemed willing to pay up to 2.5mil a year (for the right guy), maybe there would be enough left in the budget to insure a really good D coordinator and staff?

Mullen is considered an offense guru, and Golden to a lesser degree as well. Where does the DE come with any of these guys?

Golden was DC at Virginia before he became Temple's HC. If anything, you'd need to worry about a good OC with him. But, oh wait...he played on offense as a player under Joe Paterno. Yet another reason (among many) that he is the perfect candidate.

Top Bottom