Doogie: Five names to watch as Gophers football coaching search narrows

Glad to see Mullen in the mix. I'd be fine with any one of these five. I still like Golden the most out of the five, but Mullen is rising up the charts for me.

Good work, we are getting close.

Didn't Doogie say we were down to three on Tuesday? Now we're back to five?

Man, I'm ready for this process to be over.

But.... we don't know if any of the 5 would accept the job, correct? I would assume that Edsall would but the other 4?

Didn't Doogie say we were down to three on Tuesday? Now we're back to five?

Man, I'm ready for this process to be over.

I had three... but have to trust my boss, Schmit, on Mullen... then heard that Maturi likes Edsall... plus, editor Tom Pelissero wanted a few bullet-points on at least five guys... so added Edsall after that tip Wed. a.m.

I had three... but have to trust my boss, Schmit, on Mullen... then heard that Maturi likes Edsall... plus, editor Tom Pelissero wanted a few bullet-points on at least five guys... so added Edsall after that tip Wed. a.m.

I know, man. It wasn't a shot at you, per se; it's just the nature of these things. I'm as desperate for news on this as anyone, so I appreciate the info, even if it might have a low probability of being right.

Happy thanksgiving to you, as well.

I think there's a good chance that the next coach is among those five... a source close to Sumlin, who was in the mix, said that he has not had any contact with the "U"/Parker in almost two weeks... Leach was never contacted, so he's not in the mix... Fulmer would crawl here for the job, and Tubby has tried to sell him to Maturi, but don't think they'll hire him (think about the Fulmer Cup). I have heard nothing about the Navy coach... I suppose the two sort-of mystery candidates: Bellotti, who said he may stay close to his son, but that could be to deflect attention... and Randy Shannon... I haven't heard a word on him since three weeks ago that he was interested.

Hate Edsall, love Mullen, lukewarm on the other three. Pretty much guarantees that Edsall gets the job.

It's amazing that Peliserro has much time after spending every waking hour on ESPN radio the last 3 days.

Maturi Should Embrace The Costanza "Opposite Theory"

If he likes Edsall, it probably means he should be last on the list - and immediately eliminated from consideration.

Doogie, here in ACC country Shannon is known as a 'one of a kind' coach. "Never has any coach done so little with so much."

Delete from any list.

diehard: he called a friend here to inquire about the job... I have not heard that the "U" has any interest in him... but listed his name on GH because he has been poking around.

Since Mullen is the second lowest paid coach in the SEC could he just be using the U to get a raise. Just a thought.

Tweet from Paul Finebaum, sports radio show host in Alabama:

"Dan Mullen on short list for Minn; Could easily double salary-currently 2nd lowest paid in SEC. AD Maturi looking toward the Deep South"

Go Gophers!!

Mullen is my far and away #1 followed by Hoke and Golden slightly behind Hoke.

I am not into Calhoun at all; don't see how his scheme or recruiting chops can translate to the Big Ten.

I would be devastated if we hired Randy Edsall. Why on earth a lifetime .500 coach in a weak conference is even on the radar is very perplexing to me. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY RANDY EDSALL IS BEING CONSIDERED???

diehard: he called a friend here to inquire about the job... I have not heard that the "U" has any interest in him... but listed his name on GH because he has been poking around.

Doogie- any insight as to why Randy Edsall is even being considered?

Mullen is my far and away #1 followed by Hoke and Golden slightly behind Hoke.

I am not into Calhoun at all; don't see how his scheme or recruiting chops can translate to the Big Ten.

I would be devastated if we hired Randy Edsall. Why on earth a lifetime .500 coach in a weak conference is even on the radar is very perplexing to me. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY RANDY EDSALL IS BEING CONSIDERED???

With due respect to Doogie, a very fine fellow, we have no idea whether Edsall is really being considered or an agent is just doing a job job getting that story out there.

Interesting to note that the search has been expanded so that there are more bullet points. At least it makes the list more official. While it appears that there's smoke around the guys on this list, it's still basically the same list of tier 2 guys we had a month ago. About the only guy that seems to be fading is Sumlin, and I don't understand why he would down play this job just because he's interested in Colorado. There's certainly no guarantee he would get that job, and I believe coaches are allowed to interview for more than one job at a time. In fact, it could enhance his attractiveness and bargaining power to be up for two jobs. If any of this is true, sounds more like we cooled on Sumlin.

I am not Doogie and this probably isn't insightful but I think the general perception is that there might not be a BCS conference job as bad as UCONN. It is an athletic department that is geared towards basketball, the team plays in a stadium that is AT BEST 35 minutes from campus (seriously), they haven't been division 1 that long (not as briefly as some would say either) and it's just one of those schools that "being decent" at is probably noteworthy.

I agree with you that I wouldn't be stoked about Edsall either, but I think a lot of good coaches would have a tough time being anywhere near .500 at UCONN.

I still feel the smart money is on Troy Calhoun.

I think he is the best of the final candidates. After that is has to be Mullen.

The more I hear about Mullen the more I like him. I also like Golden a lot. I'm kinda luck warm on Hoke, Calhoun and Edsall, but I could live with any of them also. I think that's a strong group to choose from.

Tweet from Paul Finebaum, sports radio show host in Alabama:

"Dan Mullen on short list for Minn; Could easily double salary-currently 2nd lowest paid in SEC. AD Maturi looking toward the Deep South"

Go Gophers!!

All this proves is that he is reading our Gopherhole blog, all of this information has been posted by Doogie, no?

would prefer someone with major university winning record which none of these guys are. luke warm on Mullens, stone cold on the others

would prefer someone with major university winning record which none of these guys are. luke warm on Mullens, stone cold on the others
So Phil Fulmer? No thanks on him, too old. Mike Leach? Too much baggage for the guys running this search. Good luck finding anyone else with a major university winning record that is willing to coach here. Better get used to the fact that it will likely be one of these guys.

I'm officially on the Mullen bandwagon. He's the youngest on the list and has the best pedigree.

All this proves is that he is reading our Gopherhole blog, all of this information has been posted by Doogie, no?

Would be classic if he did... but considering that he has a relationship with Mullen, and is the go-to voice on college football in the South, I'd like to think that he knows a ton of people with Miss. St.

Took UCONN from 1-AA to 1-A with few hiccups... hasn't won big-time in an easy conference, but was a finalist for the Notre Dame job, and is highly thought of nationwide.

Mullen wasn't in my initial top three, but if we get him I'll be happy with that decision. I have no desire to see Edsall in the mix. I'm really down to two....Calhoun and Mullen. I'll be happy either way, but I want Calhoun first.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Top Bottom