Donation page to buyout Pitino - Fire Him!

Poorly coached team - they were clueless offensively....again

13-14, 16-17, 18-19. Can make the argument 14-15 saw improvement with the players who werent suspended. Not sure how to judge 17-18 with all the injuries. 19-20 we overperformed considering we basically had two players.
13-14, 16-17, 18-19. Can make the argument 14-15 saw improvement with the players who werent suspended. Not sure how to judge 17-18 with all the injuries. 19-20 we overperformed considering we basically had two players.
13-14 we finished the season going 5-8
14-15 we finished 2-6
15-16 we finished 2-9
16-17 best he did by far !
17-18 we finished 1-11
18-19 we finished 5-8
19-20 we finished 3-6
That data does not indicate improvement by my standard. I despise mediocrity. Hard to ever justify 48-83 no matter what.

Yes, tonight was dreadful but the good news is that it's over. I guess if I had my druthers I'd rather have this happen in the first conference game.

Yeah, if want to be glass half full can look at it as with all the new parts we will hopefully be playing our best ball the second half of the season when guys have learned how to effectively play together. Our most winnable games are also second half of the season so it matches up.

Over under 50 pages for this this thread on the season? Or is there going to be a new one each loss?

Most of the complaints about Pitino do not come from a place of expertise, it's just really a basic understanding of basketball. We aren't breaking down the read-option in football or anything. Most of the gripes (which I'm sure you're referring) are in reference to an absolutely stagnant offense without ball movement and way too much dribbling. It's kind of basketball 101. It took the announcers about 5 minutes of watching us play to point it out. It's an obvious and catastrophic flaw in our system. It's been a problem for 8 years.
Agreed, even more concerning is an inability to make halftime adjustments. This is a key indicator to me. Even great coaches have games where their game plans are not efficient but they make halftime adjustments and don’t get beat by the same strategy (or themselves) in our case. Also, the out of bounds plays are another x & o indicator. Can you get your players in a good position to take an in rhythm shot (I really think this is why Gabe is struggling) or a high percentage post touch when it counts the most. The shots aren’t falling is a valid excuse only when players are put into the position of shooting those shots within rhythm or flow of the game.

Stop. This is complete hogwash.

What were those team's record over the last half of the season?

Any coach would know and do this: 1) put in a zone when getting beat in paint, 2) press when you can’t shoot to create easy baskets.

This is 7th grade level coaching. Ricky can’t coach, it’s that simple.
You think they are going to press Illinois??? the game was ugly enough. Double the margin of they tried to press. They don't have the athletes or depth to do that. Illinois would break the press and Cockburn is then standing under the hoop all by himself. 33 points would turn into 50.

I suspect the AD is waiting until he has identified a replacement, he is as good as gone once he does imo

I think the financial situation in the athletic department has more bearing than anything. without the shutdown last March, I think Coyle would have pulled the trigger at the end of last season. Now the AD is stuck in a no-win situation with a massive revenue shortfall due to the pandemic. I think they are looking at $25MM-$30MM in losses. They took a beating with the ending of Men's Tennis, Gymnastics and Track & Field. Imagine the outcry if they hand Pitino a nice cash parting gift (i.e. buyout) after that. Another PR disaster. I'm not sure what the total value of the buyout is at the end of this season, but unless it's under $1MM (unlikely), I think we are going to be stuck again. Sigh.....

Look at the bright side. at least there will not be any fans at home games.

the problem is, if they keep playing like this, after covid is done, there might still not be any fans at home games.

and the Gophers need all the revenue they can get. That is part of the equation for Coyle. a losing team means lost revenue.

It might even cash-flow out that paying the buyout could be a net plus if a new coach can generate enthusiasm and get people to buy more tickets.

I think the financial situation in the athletic department has more bearing than anything. without the shutdown last March, I think Coyle would have pulled the trigger at the end of last season. Now the AD is stuck in a no-win situation with a massive revenue shortfall due to the pandemic. I think they are looking at $25MM-$30MM in losses. They took a beating with the ending of Men's Tennis, Gymnastics and Track & Field. Imagine the outcry if they hand Pitino a nice cash parting gift (i.e. buyout) after that. Another PR disaster. I'm not sure what the total value of the buyout is at the end of this season, but unless it's under $1MM (unlikely), I think we are going to be stuck again. Sigh.....
My honest question is why are these others schools letting coaches go if this is the case? Sumlin gone from Arizona, Lovie from Illini, Malzahn from Auburn, etc. Easy answer is probably that Minnesota is a little more uptight/less concerned with sports than these others I've listed. I don't think I believe that though. The fan base is wide.

Follow-Up: Where does the money come from for buyouts? Is it all the University funds (aka the same ones that were not there to save other sports during COVID cuts)? Or are boosters involved?

Last edited:

Look at the bright side. at least there will not be any fans at home games.

the problem is, if they keep playing like this, after covid is done, there might still not be any fans at home games.

and the Gophers need all the revenue they can get. That is part of the equation for Coyle. a losing team means lost revenue.

It might even cash-flow out that paying the buyout could be a net plus if a new coach can generate enthusiasm and get people to buy more tickets.
Exactly. With the poor crowds over the last 8 years due to poor basketball we have missed out on tens of millions .

Nah

In short, I just think this team has too much talent to not eventually start playing quality basketball. They have too many pieces I like for me to think this won't end up being quality team. Between Carr and Gach as our stars, Robbins, Johnson, Ihnen, Gabe as solid starters and then Curry, Mashburn and Williams as good bench players, this team has too many individuals I like for me to think the team as a whole won't start playing better.

I don't think tonight was indicative of where we are as a team. Lots of times coaches talk about "burning the film" and I think this is one of those nights where you just move on.
I disagree with your talent assessment. Gach isn’t a star, he’s a solid starter. Johnson, Ihnen and Gabe aren’t solid starters - none of them would ever start on a top 25 team. I think your view of the talent on our team is off. My opinion- we’ll see what happens over the next 5 games.

At this point, I don’t understand anyone that wants to keep Pitino any longer. He seems like a good guy but interest in the program is at an all time low. The product is not enjoyable to watch. There is no offensive flow or ball movement. Bad shot selection of this proportion has to be bad coaching. Discipline is lacking. Effort is lacking. Nothing needs to be said about the recruiting misses. All that you need to see is his 48-83 record in big ten play. Is this what we are content with?

At this point, I don’t understand anyone that wants to keep Pitino any longer. He seems like a good guy but interest in the program is at an all time low. The product is not enjoyable to watch. There is no offensive flow or ball movement. Bad shot selection of this proportion has to be bad coaching. Discipline is lacking. Effort is lacking. Nothing needs to be said about the recruiting misses. All that you need to see is his 48-83 record in big ten play. Is this what we are content with?
Looks like others are with you

Let’s look back at all the dopes here who posted ‘Gophs will finish in the top 5 in the BT’.

Will be interesting to see how we potentially bounce back against St. Louis on Sunday. They've got a real nice team. We lose that one and that's more problematic.

Exactly. Tough games early part of the season but want to see progress. I think we will.

Will be interesting to see how we potentially bounce back against St. Louis on Sunday. They've got a real nice team. We lose that one and that's more problematic.
Worst case scenario: Pitino does just enough to keep his job.

That means he'll continue doing what he has done: just enough. We shouldn't expect anything more.

I think Coyle was going to fire Pitino after last season as well. But he couldn't do it when the pandemic was new, and there was so much uncertainty.

If Pitino fails this season, I think he will pull the trigger after this season regardless of the revenue losses. In three months we'll have a clearer picture of how pandemic is unfolding, how the vaccine is working, etc. We could be back close to normal by the start of next season. Pitino's buyout is cheap, and this program will need a new direction.

There is todays example of BADGER = FRAUD.
There is the Liar coming out with the word fraud for stating a fact. Offended again by the name i use on here simply because a former coach gave that to me. Cowardly for lying about facts i presented. Simply hates me for saying i am a Gopher fan with my handle and aknowledging the success UW has had or UVA has had and how they built their enormously successful programs.

Whoever wins the Mountain West this season: hire em.

I don't give the slightest crap if it's 61 year old Dutcher. His age doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Bring in a competent coach who wants to be here and win.

I will make two points. The first one is, yes we are not a powerhouse thats going to win 25 games every year, thats fine. But there is absolutely 0 reason we cant be like an Iowa, sure they miss the tourney here and there, but they also have top 10 teams a few times every 10 years and are a legit contender. We are 8 years in and essentially have never had even a sniff of the top 10. Look no further than the football team, we won 11 games last year, did i want to win them all this year, obviously, but it was a down/weird year and those happen.

Second point, I think it will be hard to fire him with the financial situation BUT the one silver lining if we could, the only coach who seems to want to be here and is obtainable $$ wise is Dutcher. He has a massive buyout everywhere but here if we hire him, hes said its "home" before and he has proven to be a winner. I dont think Coyle could mess it up!

There is the Liar coming out with the word fraud for stating a fact. Offended again by the name i use on here simply because a former coach gave that to me. Cowardly for lying about facts i presented. Simply hates me for saying i am a Gopher fan with my handle and aknowledging the success UW has had or UVA has had and how they built their enormously successful programs.
Not many programs above uw? LIAR. FRAUD.

Beloved uw

Top Bottom