Do you think Iowa plays like a Top 5 team in the nation?

• Hell no.

Votes: 61 77.2%
  • yes

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Maybe top 25, they've benefitted from an easy schedule. Barely beat a 4-6 Gophers at home. If they played our schedule, they're 7-3 at best

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Solid team with a soft schedule, credit to them for not losing any games that they weren't supposed to though. Still, if they make the playoff I'd be bet they get whooped by another team with bigger, stronger, faster guys.

They are similar to the Gophers. Probably about the same as the Gophers if we had 1 or 2 of our 10 injured guys back.

Even without them, if that game's at TCF, I think we beat them.

Iowa was grossly out played @ home by a Minnesota team out 7 starters and 13 in two deeps.

I will say this, even though at times i'm at a loss of, why, (which I was with Kill, too)
i'm shockingly impressed with Claeys and staff. I always loved Kill, I loved how the kids reacted
to him like he was their own father, and i'll miss him and hope they retain him in some way..
but... I think Claeys actually is indeed better than KIll, and I think Claeys even knows that.
Clayes isn't hampering Limey (which i'm convinced Kill was) and a lot of that has shown tonight.
Leidner has been tearing it up lately, a lot of that has to do with a better teamed o-line, but also
by a better balanced offense. We saw that none more than when Kill was on his Medical leave.

This program has a really really good future. No TCU, OSO, MSU or Mich next year. Time for us to
pound people like 'iowa is'.

Iowa is not a top 5 team. They have a solid QB, offensive line, and some serviceable backs. Their defense played like trash. How much of that is Iowa being bad and the Gophers improving? I'd say 50/50.

They are not in the same league as OSU, Mich in my opinion. I have no idea how they blew out Northwestern.

As much as I hate to say it and it sounds like whining, but the difference in that game was the refs. After that our Lbs had their worst game of the year, probably worse than Nebraska. I thought to myself while d Campbell let a punt slowly bounce from the 5 to the 9, head not in the game. Cody Poock was miserable as well. Too bad. We knew they were going to run and couldn't stop it at all. Not in the area code. But still a likely win if not for the awful one sided calls.

Iowa is not a top 5 team. They have a solid QB, offensive line, and some serviceable backs. Their defense played like trash. How much of that is Iowa being bad and the Gophers improving? I'd say 50/50.

They are not in the same league as OSU, Mich in my opinion. I have no idea how they blew out Northwestern.

Serviceable RBs? Iowa now has had 3 different run for 195+ yards and 3 TDs, so if that's only "serviceable" than you should probably watch football for a few more years before you share opinions on talent and ability.

Serviceable RBs? Iowa now has had 3 different run for 195+ yards and 3 TDs, so if that's only "serviceable" than you should probably watch football for a few more years before you share opinions on talent and ability.

It's your line, idiot. Now run along.

Assuming they make it to Indianapolis, how many does OSU hang on Iowa? They are vulnerable to the run and through the air. With JT Barrett could we see a repeat of 59-donut?

It's your line, idiot. Now run along.

Adam Rittenberg
ESPN Staff Writer

Iowa's running back depth is arguably the biggest factor in its perfect start. Jordan Canzeri is experienced and incredibly versatile, but Akrum Wadley and now LeShun Daniels Jr. have added another element. There are a lot of great individual backs in college football, but who can match Iowa's overall depth at running back? Very impressed with this crew.
2h

Adam Rittenberg
ESPN Staff Writer

Iowa's running back depth is arguably the biggest factor in its perfect start. Jordan Canzeri is experienced and incredibly versatile, but Akrum Wadley and now LeShun Daniels Jr. have added another element. There are a lot of great individual backs in college football, but who can match Iowa's overall depth at running back? Very impressed with this crew.
2h

Why the **** are you here?

Adam Rittenberg
ESPN Staff Writer

2h

Yes, Iowa has 3 NFL caliber backs on their roster...no. From what I've seen they are average backs. Not bad, not great. You're quoting Rittenberg as an expert.

You're calling me an wet behind the ears observer. Ok.

Iowa was grossly out played @ home by a Minnesota team out 7 starters and 13 in two deeps.

I will say this, even though at times i'm at a loss of, why, (which I was with Kill, too)
i'm shockingly impressed with Claeys and staff. I always loved Kill, I loved how the kids reacted
to him like he was their own father, and i'll miss him and hope they retain him in some way..
but... I think Claeys actually is indeed better than KIll, and I think Claeys even knows that.
Clayes isn't hampering Limey (which i'm convinced Kill was) and a lot of that has shown tonight.
Leidner has been tearing it up lately, a lot of that has to do with a better teamed o-line, but also
by a better balanced offense. We saw that none more than when Kill was on his Medical leave.

This program has a really really good future. No TCU, OSO, MSU or Mich next year. Time for us to
pound people like 'iowa is'.

Claeys is like a NASCAR racer at Talladega compared to Kill who's more like a 70 yo granny driving her Camry 10 mph under the speed limit. I don't know if Kill was afraid to let the players loose or what, but there's definitely a night and day difference in the philosophy of game coaching. I do love Kill and hope he is still an integral part of this program as I think he will be a stabilizing influence on the players.

I couldn't help notice how the absence of Richardson affected the defense. I dare say that if he was out there, Minn. wins this game. I don't think Daniels and Beathard would have been nearly as effective.

Hardly. They struggled to beat us

So did Ohio State and Michigan.

TCU needed a miracle to beat Texas Tech and KSU and nearly lost to Kansas. Michigan State has had several miracle finishes this year. Ohio State should have lost to Indiana and beat Northern freaking Illinois 20-13 on their homefield. Okie State was thoroughly outplayed today and has like 3 nailbiter wins that easily could have gone the other way.

Name a team that hasn't had a few nailbiters. The defense played easily their worst game of the season, but the offense did whatever they wanted to. Iowa has now had 3 different rushers gain at least 195 yards in a single game this year, and they haven't had both starting tackles healthy since Week 3.

If you don't think they're a Top 10 team, you don't know jack-sh%t about football.

So did Ohio State and Michigan.

TCU needed a miracle to beat Texas Tech and KSU and nearly lost to Kansas. Michigan State has had several miracle finishes this year. Ohio State should have lost to Indiana and beat Northern freaking Illinois 20-13 on their homefield. Okie State was thoroughly outplayed today and has like 3 nailbiter wins that easily could have gone the other way.

Name a team that hasn't had a few nailbiters. The defense played easily their worst game of the season, but the offense did whatever they wanted to. Iowa has now had 3 different rushers gain at least 195 yards in a single game this year, and they haven't had both starting tackles healthy since Week 3.

If you don't think they're a Top 10 team, you don't know jack-sh%t about football.

You want to put some real money on this? PM me.

On what planet?

Iowa won every single statistical category and never trailed in the game, holding a double digit lead for virtually the entire 2nd half.

You want to put some real money on this? PM me.

Money on what, that Iowa is clearly one of the Top 10 teams in the country?

Sure, I'll bet you a million bucks. Send me your address and I'll drive to your place to collect. You won't even need to leave the couch.

Sure, I'll bet you a million bucks. Send me your address and I'll drive to your place to collect. You won't even need to leave the couch.

Iowa laid down for 434 yards vs one of the most inept offenses in the power 5. The MN offense has been better the last 4 weeks, but trust me, you don't have the playmakers on defense that true top 10 teams have.

Who have you played? You caught Wisconsin at at a good time. They are down with offensive line issues and their RB1 has been hurt. Northwestern? Not an elite team.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts. I think deep down you know you're not as good as your record, but you've had some scheduling breaks and whatnot. Good for you. See you next season.

You keep bringing up Top 10. My eyes ain't so good no more, but ain't this thread about Iowa being a Top 5 team?

On what planet?

Iowa won every single statistical category and never trailed in the game, holding a double digit lead for virtually the entire 2nd half.

I'd say this is a good point except "every single statistical category" unfortunately includes:

passing yards
completion percentage
yards per attempt

Mitch Leidner had a pretty nice game against your vaunted secondary. Good luck vs OSU.

I'd say this is a good point except "every single statistical category" unfortunately includes:

passing yards
completion percentage
yards per attempt

Mitch Leidner had a pretty nice game against your vaunted secondary. Good luck vs OSU.

Are you kidding? Leidner had one more completion on one more attempt, meanwhile Iowa out-rushed you by like 160 yards.

Get out of here with that weak-ass crap.

You keep bringing up Top 10. My eyes ain't so good no more, but ain't this thread about Iowa being a Top 5 team?

People are saying they don't belong in the Top 5. I can buy that argument. But implying that they are equal to Minnesota or not deserving of a Top 20 ranking is bordering on mental retardation.

Iowa laid down for 434 yards vs one of the most inept offenses in the power 5. The MN offense has been better the last 4 weeks, but trust me, you don't have the playmakers on defense that true top 10 teams have.

Who have you played? You caught Wisconsin at at a good time. They are down with offensive line issues and their RB1 has been hurt. Northwestern? Not an elite team.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts. I think deep down you know you're not as good as your record, but you've had some scheduling breaks and whatnot. Good for you. See you next season.

Okay, genius, list the 10 teams that you think are better than Iowa.

I'm preparing to laugh my ass off.

Iowa has a great defense, they just played like **** today. Happen to catch the Michigan game? Number 1 rush D in the country gave up over 300 yards on the ground and 48 points. It happens. How about when the Maryland QB ran for like 150 in Columbus a few weeks back. Man, OSU's D must suck. Northwestern completely shutdown Stanford's offense, but Iowa put 294 rush yards on them with the 4th string tailback, 3rd and 4th OTs on the roster, and a true freshman playing the whole game at guard. I guess their D sucks too. Oh yeah, they shut you out and made you clowns look like a middle school JV team.

If you want playmakers, try the corner that shutdown an entire half of the field tonight and leads the country with 8 INTs. How about the MLB that had 15 tackles last week at Indiana. Iowa has great players at every level of the defense.

Top Bottom