Demry Croft commits to Gophers!

They also went the year before without Wilson and the year after without Wilson. My point? Wisconsin was REALLY vanilla in 2010 and 2012 and they went to the Rose Bowl with competent (Tolzien) and less than competent (Stave/Phillips) QC play.

Didn't they put up like 85 points on Indiana or Northwestern in 2010? Tolzien wasn't as flashy as Wilson but from what I remember he wasn't really a slouch either. Stave/Phillips were/are slouches, no doubt. But, as has been previously mentioned they backed into that Rose Bowl so consider that an outlier.

It appears Croft is oozing with potential. It also seems he is new to quarterback. I'm really looking forward to how he does his senior year. There could be a chance he blows up in the recruiting world as he gains more experience. I'm glad we got on board early because I think more offers will be coming. The more I think about it, the more intrigued I become.

It appears Croft is oozing with potential. It also seems he is new to quarterback. I'm really looking forward to how he does his senior year. There could be a chance he blows up in the recruiting world as he gains more experience. I'm glad we got on board early because I think more offers will be coming. The more I think about it, the more intrigued I become.

He is definitely an intriguing prospect. I just cringe when people start tossing around things like "program changer" in regards to any recruit.

I thought my use of all caps would have hinted at sarcasm. Glad some people got the joke. :)

Bigs, you, of all people, ought to know by now that humor and sarcasm are NOT allowed on GopherHole!!! :cool02:

Didn't they put up like 85 points on Indiana or Northwestern in 2010? Tolzien wasn't as flashy as Wilson but from what I remember he wasn't really a slouch either.

Yeah, I remembered it differently, too, but I couldn't remembr the details, so I checked Wikipedia:

"Tolzien won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award in 2010, edging out finalists Andy Dalton of TCU, Colin Kaepernick of Nevada, Christian Ponder of Florida State, and Ricky Stanzi of Iowa,[3][4] He smashed the Wisconsin record for completion percentage in a season in his remarkable 2010 season, completing 74.3% of his passes in 12 regular season games. Tolzien ranked 4th nationally in passer rating, and led the nation in completion percentage."

That's a tad better than "vanilla" or "competent".

Essentially:
Leidner - RS Soph
Streveler - RS Fr
McKinzy - Fr (will RS)
Perra - Walk-on Fr (will RS)
Croft - HS Senior

In addition, Krizancic (Fr) was recruited as a WR but played QB his senior year in HS and looked damn good at that spot.

So he would have to compete with McKinzy (SR) and anyone behind him or who else comes in with him when hes a Junior as the plan would be for Leidner is going to start for the next 3 years.

Even if Leidner is the #1 starter, I think it's likely that other QB's are going to see playing time. Kill and Limegrover have used multiple QB's in the past - especially at Northern Illinois. I don't think they want to get Leidner too beat up, so even this year, I would not be surprised if they find opportunities to get some reps for Streveler in the non-conf games. If it was up to me, and the Gophs have solid leads in the non-conf games, Leidner would not see the field in the 4th quarter.

Assuming no transfers or position switches, 2016 will be interesting, with Leidner as a RS Sr, Streveler as a RS Jr, Mc Kinzy as a RS Soph, and Croft as a RS Fr. Does Streveler hold onto the back-up job, or does he get leap-frogged by one of the younger players?

He looked pretty fast in the videos, but mid-24 second 200 meter times are pretty mediocre for high school. That being said, it's hard not to get excited about a 6-6 QB with ANY scrambing ability

Video feature/interview on Demry Croft from his local CBS news station

http://www.wifr.com/sports/headlines/Demry-Croft-Commits-to-Minnesota-265637161.html

It's hard not to like this kid. Good first impressions. Seems well-spoken, smart, and mature. If he can make strides with his throwing these next couple years we could have a real weapon and great representative for the team.

That said, I'm still interested to see Chris Streveler in action. Seems like a comparable runner and unlike some of you I think he can be a competent passing QB. Someone will need to emerge as a competent passer...or we're going to be in trouble.

Croft doesn't sound like someone who's going to keep his recruitment open. But one never knows for sure. On the one hand, we hope he has a breakout senior season. On the other hand, what if MSU or similar comes calling.

Too many people overanalyze their own comments by thinking too much.

Even if Leidner is the #1 starter, I think it's likely that other QB's are going to see playing time. Kill and Limegrover have used multiple QB's in the past - especially at Northern Illinois. I don't think they want to get Leidner too beat up, so even this year, I would not be surprised if they find opportunities to get some reps for Streveler in the non-conf games. If it was up to me, and the Gophs have solid leads in the non-conf games, Leidner would not see the field in the 4th quarter.

Assuming no transfers or position switches, 2016 will be interesting, with Leidner as a RS Sr, Streveler as a RS Jr, Mc Kinzy as a RS Soph, and Croft as a RS Fr. Does Streveler hold onto the back-up job, or does he get leap-frogged by one of the younger players?

First of all, it will be nice to be able to finally see some stability at the QB position.

With lack of playing time, someone is bound to transfer out or switch positions which is a good problem to have.

Potentially, I can see Croft as the likely leap-frogger. You never know. The backup position is Streveler's to lose. McKinzy is going to challenge. We can't forget Rhoda and Perra, and possibly Krizancic even though he was recruited as a WR. I remember reading that Krizancic switched to QB his SR year out of necessity and was blazing at QB.

It is great to see the Gophers taking at least one QB each recruiting class.

It is great to see the Gophers taking at least one QB each recruiting class.

Rivals shows classes back to 2002, and in every one of those classes the Gophers have brought in at least 1 QB so this is not some new recruiting strategy.

Many of those guys didn't pan out and it remains to be seen if the QB recruits Kill is bringing in will get the job done.

So he would have to compete with McKinzy (SR) and anyone behind him or who else comes in with him when hes a Junior as the plan would be for Leidner is going to start for the next 3 years.

Unless ML makes huge improvements from last year, I don't think him starting the next 3-years is a given.

Unless ML makes huge improvements from last year, I don't think him starting the next 3-years is a given.

I agree. Leidner starting is not a given. The coaches seem very high on Streveler and McKinzy (sp?).

10 minute Croft interview. "Even if another big school comes through i wouldn't take it you know because i'm 110% committed to Minnesota"

Ideally Seth Green signs on and takes over as a RS Freshmen after Leidner starts the next three seasons.

Ideally Seth Green signs on and takes over as a RS Freshmen after Leidner starts the next three seasons.

I think Croft has the potential to be just as good or better than Green. Steve Wiltfong, director of recruiting at 247 believes he could possibly be the best 2015 Big Ten QB commit. So ideally they would be neck and neck. Green is a much much safer pick to reach his potential though.

That's nowhere close to ideal. Have you not had enough of the Gophers starting an underclassman at QB?

The perfect situation is Seth Green commits and isn't pressed into action prematurely and doesn't start until he's an upperclassman.

Right. Ideally Streceler or McKinzy or even Croft are good enough that Green or any other kid in his class aren't penciled in a RS frosh. Now if he's so good that e just beats out the older guys then fine but you hope those other QBs are solid to very good players at that point

Green is ranked the #9 QB on scout. Not the #9 PP or DT but the #9 overall QB. It would be no worse to see him start his second year than seeing Jeff beat out Kirkwood, Roderick and Berkley as a frosh. If anything Green wouldn't have lived up to the hype if he couldn't beat out Streveler or Mckinzy.

Green is ranked the #9 QB on scout. Not the #9 PP or DT but the #9 overall QB. It would be no worse to see him start his second year than seeing Jeff beat out Kirkwood, Roderick and Berkley as a frosh. If anything Green wouldn't have lived up to the hype if he couldn't beat out Streveler or Mckinzy.

That's complete BS. You can't judge if a player "lived up to the hype" his 2nd year in the program.

That's complete BS. You can't judge if a player "lived up to the hype" his 2nd year in the program.

Well maybe not what is expected for his whole career but for the hype of what he is expected to do in the first 2 years. I think it would be very fair to say that if a particular QB did not meet expectations initially of taking the starting job by his second year when he is expected to do so then he did not live up to the hype for his first two years at least.

Well maybe not what is expected for his whole career but for the hype of what he is expected to do in the first 2 years. I think it would be very fair to say that if a particular QB did not meet expectations initially of taking the starting job by his second year when he is expected to do so then he did not live up to the hype for his first two years at least.

Who expects him to do so? You? I guarantee the coaching staff wouldn't. Neither do most rational fans that understand building a program.

Hate to say it but i agree. From the interviews I've read, the tea leaves say he will be going elsewhere. He has family ties to the U, but apparently his dad is still an SEC homer and possibly steering him towards the biggest program that will take him. I could be wrong.

Top Bottom