Deion Sanders’ roster redo at Colorado could change college football

8 -5. Or even 9 -4. As some else mentioned , Synder at KState followed pretty much the same game plan. While it took him 3 years to win more than he lost, he didn’t have the resources to sell like Prime. Would you rather go to Kansas or Colorado?
No chance he wins 8 or 9 this year.

Prime will kill it at Colorado. I don’t know why anyone has such an issue with brining in a ton of kids. He is bringing in very solid players. If Minnesota was doing the same thing we would love it. But because we are not it’s dumb and stupid. Guys, he will be at the top of Florida states radar next year about week 5 when Colorado demolishes Nebby and Fl st is 2-3.
No one cares that he brought he in a ton of kids. They care that he ran off a ton of kids to free up scholarships. While he has added some nice players, I don’t see it as a massively upgraded roster after one year. I doubt they demolish Nebraska and I don’t see who would beat FSU for loss #3 by week 5. But I agree Deion will be looking to advance to somewhere else if he has any success and his kid graduates.

What Prime is doing at Colorado is not sustainable, he is just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle so that he can move up to bigger and better things.

He is bringing in lots of flashy pieces and big egos. He might get lucky and it could work but more likely it fails miserably because you can't just throw a football team together and succeed at a really high level.

Or heck....maybe he proves us all wrong and this becomes the wave of the future. The roster churn in college football is already off the charts....may as well take it to the next level and try and turn over essentially the entire roster on a yearly basis. Seems like that would be an awful way to coach, having to fill a massive number of spots every year.

Buffaloes don’t wear rhinestones, so why would Neon Deion want to stay at Colorado? I agree that if he has some success, he’s moving on. I just hope he doesn’t trash the place too much before he does.

What Prime is doing at Colorado is not sustainable, he is just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle so that he can move up to bigger and better things.

He is bringing in lots of flashy pieces and big egos. He might get lucky and it could work but more likely it fails miserably because you can't just throw a football team together and succeed at a really high level.

Or heck....maybe he proves us all wrong and this becomes the wave of the future. The roster churn in college football is already off the charts....may as well take it to the next level and try and turn over essentially the entire roster on a yearly basis. Seems like that would be an awful way to coach, having to fill a massive number of spots every year.
This is scary for the future of college football. Take all the false pretenses of educating athletes, and play the players. Colleges and conferences that adopt paying athletes will lose their tax-exempt status.

The hundreds of millions of dollars pouring into college sports (football and basketball in particular) are going to eventually come crashing down. The corruption of college athletics will be complete.

1. Prime will apply for Florida State the nano-second it comes open....
2. Not a fan of this (call me a traditionalist) - students were recruited previously to play football, which also provided those students the opportunity to get an education - the real reason they needed to be in school. When a coach is able to crap on previous recruits by doing what Coach Prime is doing, it sets a terrible precedent. Nothing is done to protect the education that some of those student-athletes had already started.
The bolded is incorrect. The school has already come out and said that the scholarships will be honored for those who aren't on the team and didn't find another school. So anyone who was there for the education will be allowed to finish their degree with it being paid for by the school.

As to the title of the thread, I don't think it'll change college football at all. There's just not enough quality players in the portal for even a handful of P5 teams to try this.

Per an earlier post, I think his pace slows down going forward. The scholarship players on the roster are now something close to 80% his recruits.

I remember when people used to scoff at Bill Snyder when he would bring in a truckload of Juco's every year at Kansas State. But he found a way to make it work.

Deion is taking that approach and turbo-charging it to take advantage of recent changes in college FB.

I don't know if such an extreme approach is sustainable - but it does allow a team to turn over its roster a lot faster than was possible in the old days.
Found an article from 2012 that showed Synder had about 25% of his roster made up of Juco's. Not sure if that was about normal or not for him but 80% is a lot different than 25%.

The bolded is incorrect. The school has already come out and said that the scholarships will be honored for those who aren't on the team and didn't find another school. So anyone who was there for the education will be allowed to finish their degree with it being paid for by the school.
Got it - But still sets up the opportunity for the school to jetison anybody who doesnt come in and perform right away. Not all recruits can do that, and will they honor those scholarships also? To me, this can be done once only, and still is a bad optic.

Only 10 of the 51 (who were still on the team in the spring) who were on the team last year remain. That's wild.

Link? How is this even allowed? So some schools will allow their coaches to cut players for performance while others won’t?

Deion isn't going to turnover 80% of the roster every year. Colorado was one of the least talented teams in P5 college football last year, and yet people are surprised he's revamped the roster as significantly as he has with the transfer rules today? That's exactly what he should be doing.

PJ turned over 80% of the Gophers roster the first two years he was here, and more of that would have likely happened in year 1 if the rules were the same then. That only led to an 11 win season in year 3, and the best shape the program has been in for decades.

Deion isn't going to turnover 80% of the roster every year. Colorado was one of the least talented teams in P5 college football last year, and yet people are surprised he's revamped the roster as significantly as he has with the transfer rules today? That's exactly what he should be doing.

PJ turned over 80% of the Gophers roster the first two years he was here, and more of that would have likely happened in year 1 if the rules were the same then. That only led to an 11 win season in year 3, and the best shape the program has been in for decades.
Agreed. Like I put in other posts, the roster is now almost all his recruits. He might have a little more player movement next year just based on what some of those transfers have left for eligibility, but I see it slowing down considerably moving forward, more towards the norm for transfers in other programs.

Per an earlier post, I think his pace slows down going forward. The scholarship players on the roster are now something close to 80% his recruits.
I agree that the pace of roster churn will slow down considerably but I won't be shocked if his roster is still one of the most volatile in terms of player movement on a yearly basis.

Link? How is this even allowed? So some schools will allow their coaches to cut players for performance while others won’t?
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...orge-backs-deion-sanders-amid-roster-turnover

A few notable quotes to answer your questions:

"George pointed to an NCAA rule that allows first-year head coaches to cut scholarship players..."

"If a student-athlete wants to stay, they can stay. The university has to pay for them, they don't count on your scholarship limits and they're not on the team.
"

"According to a school spokesman, there are four players who decided to stay at Colorado on scholarship but aren't with the team, and George confirmed the university will pay for their education. The specific NCAA rule, "Aid After Departure of Head Coach," states that those students won't count against Colorado's scholarship limitation as long as they're not participating with the team."

This method sounds like a way to be really erratic year-to-year, sometimes awful, occasionally quite good, but never a real contender.

It sounds like Baylor but in Boulder.

I agree that the pace of roster churn will slow down considerably but I won't be shocked if his roster is still one of the most volatile in terms of player movement on a yearly basis.
From a few months ago but interesting. Most are new HC to the teams, but Kiffin somewhat surprised me. Edit - forgot the link!

Last edited:

Agreed. Like I put in other posts, the roster is now almost all his recruits. He might have a little more player movement next year just based on what some of those transfers have left for eligibility, but I see it slowing down considerably moving forward, more towards the norm for transfers in other programs.

I think next year will be heavier too, but probably still close to half of what it was this year.

When factoring graduation/transfers/NFL/retirement, the Gophers have lost nearly 40% of their roster this offseason. I think 30-40% turnover will be pretty typical most years going forward with the rules as they are today.

Some of you all have pretty strong opinions on how many games Colorado will win this year.

Bet it. The over-under for their wins is 3.5 with the over paying +120.

Some of you all have pretty strong opinions on how many games Colorado will win this year.

What is that saying about a fool and their money......you would have to be a fool to put any money on that situation.

From a few months ago but interesting. Most are new HC to the teams, but Kiffin somewhat surprised me. Edit - forgot the link!

Even that list underscores just how extreme what Sanders is doing is given that he is #1 by nearly 20 players over the #2 team on the list.

I personally don't know how you gel that many new personalities in one off season but I guess we will find out if Coach Prime can pull it off. They will need to win early because if they fall apart at the start of the season it could easily all just implode with that many "me first" guys all assembled in one place under a head coach with a massive ego as well.

Will make for entertaining viewing from afar to see what happens. If I was going to bet it would be on an epic implosion but who knows. Anything is possible I guess.

Even that list underscores just how extreme what Sanders is doing is given that he is #1 by nearly 20 players over the #2 team on the list.

I personally don't know how you gel that many new personalities in one off season but I guess we will find out if Coach Prime can pull it off. They will need to win early because if they fall apart at the start of the season it could easily all just implode with that many "me first" guys all assembled in one place under a head coach with a massive ego as well.

Will make for entertaining viewing from afar to see what happens. If I was going to bet it would be on an epic implosion but who knows. Anything is possible I guess.
Like I've said in other posts, he won't be doing this every year just this year and less so next year depending on remaining eligibility. After that, Colorado transfers and recruiting will look much closer to other schools.

I did. Got the over at +125 actually.

Wins:

Colorado State
Arizona State
Nebraska
Arizona

No one cares that he brought he in a ton of kids. They care that he ran off a ton of kids to free up scholarships. While he has added some nice players, I don’t see it as a massively upgraded roster after one year. I doubt they demolish Nebraska and I don’t see who would beat FSU for loss #3 by week 5. But I agree Deion will be looking to advance to somewhere else if he has any success and his kid graduates.
You don’t think it was an upgrade? Seriously?

They lose to LSU, Clemson and then have to play Virginia Tech. Tell me there is not a great chance they have at least two losses going into VT.

They lose to LSU, Clemson and then have to play Virginia Tech. Tell me there is not a great chance they have at least two losses going into VT.
FSU beat LSU last year and Clemson offense is still not great. The Noles had 10 wins last year and Virginia Tech had 3. More closer to zero losses then 3.

Top Bottom