Deep Dive of Redzone Playcalling against EMU

In this case, it isn't on Kramer. He should not have had the option to throw, particularly considering that we were marching to potentially tie the game, our running game was carving them up, and it seemed likely that AK would be back on the field in short order. With where we were on the field (UNC ~30) even 3 straight RUTM likely nets us a FG at minimum, which is obviously far better than effectively ending the game with a pick.

Shame on Harbaugh for even giving Kramer the option, and even more shame on Fleck for not saying, "What the actual fuck are you doing???" and ordering runs only for as long as 12 was on the field. Given the game context and the fact that we tend to run 65-70% of the time under Fleck, it was one of the most bizarrely terrible decisions I've seen in any sport at any level. Many of us have railed over the Fleck years that we don't have enough balance in our offense, and THERE, on 1st and 10, in their end of the field, is where you choose to put the ball in the air??? I mean, my God - it's almost as if Harbaugh has no idea what he's doing.
Maybe they should’ve got conservative. The pass was open and could’ve been a TD, it took a terrible throw for it to get intercepted. Now the coaches have seen more of Kramer to know if that is a throw he can make, if they know he’s a liability there and they still call that play then yeah that’s an awful call.

I bet we could do better than having Kramer lob up a hand grenade on 1st down

Or are you so much smarter than the rest of us youre gonna defend that too?

51 pts in 3 games.

The question is: poor play calling, or poor execution?

The throw by Kaliakmanis that Spann-Ford tipped and was intercepted was a terrible throw as well — too high and way behind the intended receiver.

Should that play be eliminated from the playbook?
Was it a poor play call, or just a poor throw?
Was it a poor choice, by the QB or by the play caller, to throw to the tight end in that situation?
Heck, does the QB have options on pass plays, or is he directed to throw to one receiver only on every play?

This offense is struggling, specifically in the passing game (the running game looks pretty strong). Maybe the play calling and the execution of the plays are both in need of improvement, especially when throwing the ball.

Last edited:

Top Bottom