Deep Dive of Redzone Playcalling against EMU

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
The Gophers had 6 drives in the redzone against EMU. In short, the playcalling was uncreative and bad. Below is a summary of the playcalling inside EMU's 25 with a couple pass plays analyzed.

6 drives with 29 plays inside of the 25 - 25 runs, 4 passes (only 1 pass into the endzone)

Drive 1: 5 runs, 0 pass --> Turnover on downs
Drive 2: 1 run, 2 pass --> FG

- 1st pass: 4 yard flat to BSF to the 5. BSF is the first read and makes an impressive, contested catch with no YAC.
- 2nd pass: see below.

This is a terrible play design for an obvious passing situation. 2 WRs run routes into 6 DBs and both TEs block the entire play. Below, AK looks at his first read, DJ9, and sees 2-3 defenders in his vicinity.

1694467237559.png

AK looks at his 2nd (and only other) read, LB0, who is also double/triple covered. Knowing he has nothing to lose on 3rd down, AK rifles it in there and gives LB0 a chance. Both TEs (circled in red) are looking for someone to block the entire play.

1694467259664.png

Drive 3: 3 runs, 1 pass --> TD
- Pass: BSF runs a wheel route from the 24, and DPI is called when he gets tackled by the LB.
Drive 4: 6 runs, 0 pass --> FG
Drive 5: 4 runs, 0 pass --> TD
Drive 6: 6 runs, 1 pass --> FG

- Pass: see below.

This looks like a good play, but it is poorly executed. Someone is in motion (Geers?) and is AK's first read. BSF and DJ9 also flow right as alternate options. The problem is the RG, Lewis, got absolutely blown up (circled in red) and is pushed into Geers' way, so it takes Geers extra time to get across the field.

1694467275946.png

Below, you can see Lewis is 2 yds behind where he was in the previous image. As a result, Geers is still stuck in traffic and not open on the right side where he should be. AK has to get rid of it and throws a pass at Geers' feet.

1694467288767.png

Long story short, Harbaugh and Fleck need to change their best in the redzone. Mo or not, calling 90% runs in the redzone is not a recipe for touchdowns. We have capable pass catchers on the roster - they need to be willing to use them and have any level of creativity in their playcalling.

Good stuff. In addition, there was one stretch run into the boundary that had no chance of working because there was no room. There was also a 3rd and 3 run out of a goal line formation (3 TE, 1 FB) that made little sense.

Nice analysis. Seems to me that in scoring range....we went ultra conservative as to not make any huge errors since we were in control. Hopefully the lack of attempts won't bite us.

And yeah....that first play that you highlighted was absolutely hideous. Just a terribly designed play.

I recall in UMD's big years a decade ago they ran a four tight end power lineup near the goalline. Score every time. Some fans just love passing. I like scoring. It should be easy to gain two yards in three plays even if Peewee Herman is the ball carrier. Lots can go wrong with passes into a small downfield area. Run the ball but run it well.

Great detail and analysis. I appreciate you putting this post together.

Agreed we need to change our best inside the Case-IH Red Zone.

Go Gophers!!
Heck on at least a couple of inside-the-20 series the announcer did not even identify the Gophers had entered the Case-IH Red Zone.

Where's that for standards of announcing excellency?

BTW, did the "Woooo" for him for those within shouting distance...

Good stuff. In addition, there was one stretch run into the boundary that had no chance of working because there was no room. There was also a 3rd and 3 run out of a goal line formation (3 TE, 1 FB) that made little sense.
I remember scratching my head at that stretch run too.

I recall in UMD's big years a decade ago they ran a four tight end power lineup near the goalline. Score every time. Some fans just love passing. I like scoring. It should be easy to gain two yards in three plays even if Peewee Herman is the ball carrier. Lots can go wrong with passes into a small downfield area. Run the ball but run it well.
C’mon 50’s
Pee-wee passed away. (RIP)

The Gophers had 6 drives in the redzone against EMU. In short, the playcalling was uncreative and bad. Below is a summary of the playcalling inside EMU's 25 with a couple pass plays analyzed.

6 drives with 29 plays inside of the 25 - 25 runs, 4 passes (only 1 pass into the endzone)

Drive 1: 5 runs, 0 pass --> Turnover on downs
Drive 2: 1 run, 2 pass --> FG

- 1st pass: 4 yard flat to BSF to the 5. BSF is the first read and makes an impressive, contested catch with no YAC.
- 2nd pass: see below.

This is a terrible play design for an obvious passing situation. 2 WRs run routes into 6 DBs and both TEs block the entire play. Below, AK looks at his first read, DJ9, and sees 2-3 defenders in his vicinity.

View attachment 26919

AK looks at his 2nd (and only other) read, LB0, who is also double/triple covered. Knowing he has nothing to lose on 3rd down, AK rifles it in there and gives LB0 a chance. Both TEs (circled in red) are looking for someone to block the entire play.

View attachment 26920

Drive 3: 3 runs, 1 pass --> TD
- Pass: BSF runs a wheel route from the 24, and DPI is called when he gets tackled by the LB.
Drive 4: 6 runs, 0 pass --> FG
Drive 5: 4 runs, 0 pass --> TD
Drive 6: 6 runs, 1 pass --> FG

- Pass: see below.

This looks like a good play, but it is poorly executed. Someone is in motion (Geers?) and is AK's first read. BSF and DJ9 also flow right as alternate options. The problem is the RG, Lewis, got absolutely blown up (circled in red) and is pushed into Geers' way, so it takes Geers extra time to get across the field.

View attachment 26921

Below, you can see Lewis is 2 yds behind where he was in the previous image. As a result, Geers is still stuck in traffic and not open on the right side where he should be. AK has to get rid of it and throws a pass at Geers' feet.

View attachment 26922

Long story short, Harbaugh and Fleck need to change their best in the redzone. Mo or not, calling 90% runs in the redzone is not a recipe for touchdowns. We have capable pass catchers on the roster - they need to be willing to use them and have any level of creativity in their playcalling.
Great post. Thanks. I also love the use of the Initials/Jersey#s 😃

Reactions: Go4

Fantsatic post. The 3rd and goal pass on the 2nd drive that you highlighted was so incredibly strange. In that situation, a max protect makes zero sense. It's 3rd and goal at the 6. Worst case scenario (non turnover) is a sack which still leaves us in chip shot fg territory. So we protect against pressure when the defense already has the back line of the end zone as an additional defender and put two guys in a route against 6/7 defenders.

Another play design/call I thought was very strange was the 3rd and 3 from the 4 on the initial drive (I think this is when it occurred). We came out in a run heavy formation and had Tyler (or Taylor) lined up abnormally deep in the backfield. The hand off occurred almost 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage and the play came up short of the first down. Just showing run like that and asking your line to stop penetration and block for that type of long developing run play in that situation is bizarre. It's the type of play you'd not even consider running in that situation against a high major opponent that can compete in the trenches.

Pretty much every drive was successul against EMU in terms of yards/TOP but I still have a lot of concerns about the play calling and overall design of the offense. Not only have we struggled in the red zone, but I don't believe we've had a single play (completion or otherwise) where we've had a receiver get behind the defense.

Booby trap plays. Make UNC coach heads explode when they watch that film and then get something else on game day.

Or maybe I'm dreaming.

Booby trap plays. Make UNC coach heads explode when they watch that film and then get something else on game day.

Or maybe I'm dreaming.
I used to be in the “he’s keeping it vanilla and will open it up in a big game and catch them by surprise” crowd.

Then it never happens.

I’ve come to accept he is who he is, which is better than any Gopher coach this side of Lou Holtz. We will get 7-9 wins a year, but will not win games because we out coached or out schemed someone.

We shorten the game, we don’t make mistakes, we don’t beat ourselves and that is good enough to beat a lot of teams. But one of those teams isn’t Iowa.

Things you only learn about in the gopher hole--The Iowa announcers also have the Case IH thing going on in their games. Dont say you dont learn anything in here.

You remember those plays that didn't work?

Well, we clearly should have run different plays.

More specifically, we should have run plays that would have worked.

Very interesting. That’s maybe sub-optimal for putting AK or the receivers in a position to succeed. The chess match continues…

Last edited:

I assume the idea with the 12 pers and TE staying in was to make it look like a run to the LB. Still leaves a CB and S on each side of the field against one receiver.

Maybe if they try this again, wait until LB drop back and then short throw/screen to those TE?

Fantsatic post. The 3rd and goal pass on the 2nd drive that you highlighted was so incredibly strange. In that situation, a max protect makes zero sense. It's 3rd and goal at the 6. Worst case scenario (non turnover) is a sack which still leaves us in chip shot fg territory. So we protect against pressure when the defense already has the back line of the end zone as an additional defender and put two guys in a route against 6/7 defenders.

Another play design/call I thought was very strange was the 3rd and 3 from the 4 on the initial drive (I think this is when it occurred). We came out in a run heavy formation and had Tyler (or Taylor) lined up abnormally deep in the backfield. The hand off occurred almost 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage and the play came up short of the first down. Just showing run like that and asking your line to stop penetration and block for that type of long developing run play in that situation is bizarre. It's the type of play you'd not even consider running in that situation against a high major opponent that can compete in the trenches.

Pretty much every drive was successul against EMU in terms of yards/TOP but I still have a lot of concerns about the play calling and overall design of the offense. Not only have we struggled in the red zone, but I don't believe we've had a single play (completion or otherwise) where we've had a receiver get behind the defense.

The deep RB set and long hand off in short yardage situation makes me wonder too, especially with no Mo. On the one hand, a team with a balanced offense can keep the defense guessing by keeping a formation spread out. On the other hand, a team that almost always runs the ball in short yardage like the Gophs fools nobody with a spread formation and allows the stacked box.

A short handoff and maybe even multiple back options can work so much better in that situation.

Taylor probably scores if he doesn’t slip on that final drive.

In fact he slipped twice! Do the field maintainers put too much of the rubber dirt on the field? You see it flying up all the time. Too much of it makes the turf slippery.

In any case, those plays called score three touchdowns with Mo. Taylor and Tyler, just aren’t go get me 3 tough yards kind of backs. Although Taylor consistently hit those holes hard when he didn’t slip. He just doesn’t have the size, yet.

I’m more wondering where is the Cole Kramer wildcat look on short yardage? That look alone would help keep the defense guessing.

Like it or not, PJ likes to set a tone by playing smashmouth football early in the season. He believes that they need to be able to run the ball on short yardage situations including into the endzone. He keeps challenging the oline and RBs to get it done, even if they fail.

This has been his stance pretty much from day one. It has led to some ugly early games, but you can see where it helps later in the season, especially as the weather turns colder.

I used to be in the “he’s keeping it vanilla and will open it up in a big game and catch them by surprise” crowd.

Then it never happens.

I’ve come to accept he is who he is, which is better than any Gopher coach this side of Lou Holtz. We will get 7-9 wins a year, but will not win games because we out coached or out schemed someone.

We shorten the game, we don’t make mistakes, we don’t beat ourselves and that is good enough to beat a lot of teams. But one of those teams isn’t Iowa.
Iowa is definitely one of those teams, but we did make mistakes and did beat ourselves a few times against them. There’s nothing special about Iowa that makes them unbeatable, big difference between haven’t beaten them and can’t beat them.

Iowa is definitely one of those teams, but we did make mistakes and did beat ourselves a few times against them. There’s nothing special about Iowa that makes them unbeatable, big difference between haven’t beaten them and can’t beat them.
Well yea… kinda.
The way we play, things have to go perfectly for us to win against the top tier teams. If we do have a holding call or a fumble or some other error and get in a hole we are usually in trouble, hence our record when trailing at the half.

Problem is, the teams with great athletes, and creative/aggressive game plans are good at forcing errors.

Well yea… kinda.
The way we play, things have to go perfectly for us to win against the top tier teams. If we do have a holding call or a fumble or some other error and get in a hole we are usually in trouble, hence our record when trailing at the half.

Problem is, the teams with great athletes, and creative/aggressive game plans are good at forcing errors.
Things have to go perfectly for us to win against the top-tier teams regardless of the way we play.

The worst play design of the entire evening was the naked bootleg on 4th down on the first possession. I'm all for a good bootleg. But, you need one yard. Don't fake a hand off and have the QB continue toward the backfield to the point he is eight yards behind the line of scrimmage before he turns around. Even if you fool the DBs/LBs and suck them in on the fake handoff, they have plenty of time to recover to stop the bootleg at that depth, especially when you choose to also not make them defend a receiver. Just brutal. Almost so bad you have to think the play was messed up somehow.

Nobody would argue that our Redzone offense really struggled against EMU but it was also very clear that we were extremely committed to the run game which may have led to some of the play calling. We didn't run a ton of redzone plays against Nebraska but here is the breakdown of the ones we did run.

1 run - FG - technically just ran one jet sweep from in the redzone, lost 5 on the play pushing us out of the redzone. Pass play put us back in the redzone on third down and then we kicked FG.
4 pass - 0 run - TD

Against Nebraska we passed a ton, against Eastern Michigan we were extremely run heavy. At this point I don't know how anyone can say with any certainty what our 2023 offense is going to look like but if I had to guess it will probably end up somewhere in the middle and much more balanced than previous years in terms of run/pass ratio.

Last edited:

This confirmed my thoughts of not remembering a throw into the endzone. We need CRAB back healthy and on the field. He and Spann-Ford are bigger targets. We have good WR's, but they all look short on TV. They are all 6'0" or shorter except CRAB and Spencer.

We we're able to break any big explosive plays really. Our longest pass was 22 yds. and we had a 22 yds. Last week Howard had a 55 yrd run and 69 yd pass against E. Mich. Howard was 56% run and we were 79% run. We limit our opportunities for explosive plays running so much.

Passing beat Nebraska
Running beat E. Mich.

However, defense really won both games.

Nobody would argue that our Redzone offense really struggled against EMU but it was also very clear that we were extremely committed to the run game which may have led to some of the play calling. We didn't run a ton of redzone plays against Nebraska but here is the breakdown of the ones we did run.

2 pass - 1 run - FG
1 pass - 1 run - INT
4 pass - 0 run - TD

Against Nebraska we passed a ton, against Eastern Michigan we were extremely run heavy. At this point I don't know how anyone can say with any certainty what our 2023 offense is going to look like but if I had to guess it will probably end up somewhere in the middle and much more balanced than previous years in terms of run/pass ratio.

Not a big deal, the Gophers didn't run any plays in the Red Zone on the drive that ended in an interception. The ball was intercepted in the Red Zone, but the line of scrimmage was the NEB 24.

We were technically 2-for-2 in the Red Zone with a FG and a TD.

Top Bottom