Decommits under PJ Fleck - Where are they now?

WinLoseOrTy

Reaction score
Was curious what happened to recruits that committed and then de-committed under PJ Fleck.

2020:
Aaron Witt - Signed with Wisconsin
CJ West - uncommitted
Benjamin Onwuzo - uncommitted
Casey Collier - Signed with USC
Richard Agyekum - uncommitted
Claude Larkins - uncommitted

2019:
Kristian Williams - redshirted for Oregon
Jason Bargy - charged with domestic abuse, unsigned
Gervarrius Owens - starting safety for Houston Cougars
Chris Daniels - saw action in 2 games for Missouri Tigers
Damarion Williams - starting cornerback for Houston Cougars
TJ Robinson - played in 4 games and redshirted for Rutgers
Juwan Mitchell - saw action in 6 games for Texas Longhorns, starting 3 games
Camden Lewis - went 9/14 on field goals (long 40) and 53/55 on extra points
Randal Grimes - caught 44 passes for 696 yards and 7 TDs for UNLV Rebels in 2019

2018:
Jalen Mayfield - Honorable mention B1G, 2019
Junior Uzebu - backup tackle for West Virginia Mountaineers
Brennan Armstrong - redshirted 2018 with Virginia Cavaliers, went 15/20 for 196 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT in 6 games as backup in 2019
Noah Shannon - redshirted in 2018 for Iowa Hawkeyes, recorded 5 tackles in 2019 as backup
Tyrik Henderson - saw action in 1 game in 2019 for Northern Illinois Huskies
Ahmad McCullough - saw action in 3 games in 2018 for Maryland Terrapins, just 1 game in 2019
Shamaur McDowell - Twitter bio says Toledo Rockets, but did not find on roster page

2017:
Ihmir Smith-Marsette - 42 catches for 676 yards and 4 TDs in 2019 in junior season with Iowa Hawkeyes

Last edited:

Randal Grimes was also very good for UNLV, nearly had 700 receiving yards and 6-7 TD's. USC WR transfer.

Also with the thread title, I thought you were saying what if Fleck had decommitted from the program.

Not too many big misses in the group, yet. Tim Brewster had himself some decommits, man. Taylor Lewan, Sheldon Richardson, LaMichael James to name a few I can remember.

Interesting. Thanks WinLoseOrTy

Did Iowa WR Smith-Marsette commit to us at one point and change his mind a week later? I seem to remember that a lot of posters thought he was a sure sign with us, but I can't remember if he actually ever gave a verbal indication of his intentions.

Did Iowa WR Smith-Marsette commit to us at one point and change his mind a week later? I seem to remember that a lot of posters thought he was a sure sign with us, but I can't remember if he actually ever gave a verbal indication of his intentions.
Yes, as did Trey Creamer.

Also PWO QB Logan Graetz who now is a scholarship player at NDSU. Will be hard for him to beat out Lance.

He’s a good player, but it turns out we didn’t really need him.

If we did, it would have been a Kamal Martin deal. We were looking at him as a safety with the potential to possibly move to LB.

Yeah, I don't blame the staff at all. I was more commenting that he is an impressive guy and I wish we would have known then what we know how re: his abilities.

I'm not blaming the staff, tons of players are missed every year.

Yeah, I don't blame the staff at all. I was more commenting that he is an impressive guy and I wish we would have known then what we know how re: his abilities.

I'm not blaming the staff, tons of players are missed every year.
Paul Chryst would not have missed.

Paul Chryst is no where near sexy enough to be a quality Big 10 coach.

Especially if he's in a hoodie. Now if he'd man up and eat a dilly bar, then he'd be in the conversation....

Dopeydoll posted that the u never battles ndsu for recruits.
Well we offered him a PWO, they offered him a scholarship and flipped. We did originally flip him from them when he was committed there as a PWO, then we offered a PWO, then they offered a scholarship.

Yes, was committed for 3 days a few weeks after PJ took the job, then committed to Iowa. Had been Rutgers commit prior to us.

I added him to original post.

He’s a good player, but it turns out we didn’t really need him.
Fun side note on Lance, he hasn't thrown an interception since midway through his senior year of high school in 2017. Has 25 passing touchdowns without a pick this year. Impressive.

Creamer committed under Claeys and then decommitted under Fleck.
Yes buut he was a guy that unlike the others Claeys decommits, Fleck actually wanted and stayed committed for a period of time under Fleck until Iowa flipped him.

Fun side note on Lance, he hasn't thrown an interception since midway through his senior year of high school in 2017. Has 25 passing touchdowns without a pick this year. Impressive.
That's impressive. I do think it helps that he rarely has to throw a whole lot. He averages just a bit over 18 attempts a game. They run the ball 70% of the time.

Yes buut he was a guy that unlike the others Claeys decommits, Fleck actually wanted and stayed committed for a period of time under Fleck until Iowa flipped him.
Fair statement. My original post was limiting it to recruits that both committed and decommitted under Fleck.

FWIW, Creamer spent 2 years at Iowa, redshirting in 2017 and then backup role in 2018. His 2018 included a 1 week suspension. He transferred to Fort Scott Community College for a year, and just signed LOI this week with Charlotte 49ers.

A little different, but also the JUCO players that technically were here but didn't make it past Spring Practice (decommitted after showing up, sort of)? Neil McLaurin and Vic Viramontes? McLaurin was a Claeys recruit but was part of PJ's first class, where Viramontes was 100% PJ.

McLaurin is a WR at Southern Miss with 23 receptions in two years. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4362945/neil-mclaurin

"Vegas Vic" Viramontes is "expected to make an immediate impact at inside linebacker" for UNLV. https://unlvrebels.com/sports/football/roster/vic-viramontes/10223

A little different, but also the JUCO players that technically were here but didn't make it past Spring Practice (decommitted after showing up, sort of)? Neil McLaurin and Vic Viramontes? McLaurin was a Claeys recruit but was part of PJ's first class, where Viramontes was 100% PJ.

McLaurin is a WR at Southern Miss with 23 receptions in two years. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4362945/neil-mclaurin

"Vegas Vic" Viramontes is "expected to make an immediate impact at inside linebacker" for UNLV. https://unlvrebels.com/sports/football/roster/vic-viramontes/10223
Vic played in 9 games for UNLV and had 20 tackles.

Could do the same "where are they now" for transfers: Demry Croft, Melvin Holland, Rashad Still, Everett Williams, Jaylen Waters, Hunter Register, James Johannesson, etc.

Also the Juco DT Chris Daniels is another guy. Former Texas player that I think signed with Mizzou.

And Kelvin Clemmons who was here for a spring semester redshirted at Houston this year. Houston picked up him, Owens and Damarion Williams.

Top Bottom