Darius Taylor is back next season!

We’ve reached the point of a player declaring they will not be entering the transfer portal.

It is a strange new world for college athletics.

Yeah. Honestly, if changes are not made to the portal rules, fans will be transferring as well...to spending their time and $$$ not for tickets and watching weekly on TV. All but 15-20 teams will basically be playing for a bowl bid as their "prime goal for the year".

We’ve reached the point of a player declaring they will not be entering the transfer portal.

It is a strange new world for college athletics.
Agreed. I am really pleased that Darius is staying but... as a fan I hate the thought that we might have to go through this cycle every year. Waiting to see if your best players will stick around. Not sure I can do that.

Notice "back for another year with Dinkytown Athletes"

We're getting ever closer to players playing for The Collective
It's the new way of supporting the NIL and indicating your return to the team. All the heavy hitters on defense have declared their return with a Dinkytown Athletes announcement.

The wording of that announcement was interesting. He's not returning to the Gophers, he's returning to the NiL collective.
A lot of guys have done this in the past few days. I think it’s a way to try to generate excitement around Dinkytown Athletics. Like trying to show how much contributing helps.

giphy.gif

Great news and makes feel better about next year. Now build the O around DT; beef up the line, find a good starting QB, and find a proven OC and pay the man!

I never said he was 100% gone but I certainly thought there was a better chance he was gone than not...

Yeah. Honestly, if changes are not made to the portal rules, fans will be transferring as well...to spending their time and $$$ not for tickets and watching weekly on TV. All but 15-20 teams will basically be playing for a bowl bid as their "prime goal for the year".

I just got done watching a couple D3 playoff games that were really entertaining with streaming media improving every year and low cost or free (something that couldn't be done even a few years ago). There are alternatives. The top FBS football institutions need to understand they can kill the golden goose with greed.

This is pretty much my attitude for next season and beyond unless something dramatically changes. It's going to be about 20 teams that are fighting for the playoffs/National Championship every year with the way things are structured. For teams like Minnesota, beating a rival and going to a bowl game is basically going to be the new measuring stick and goals, unless something changes (either portal, conferences, scheduling, etc. or multiple of those). It wouldn't shock me if in 10-15 years the NCAA has to make an overhaul of some kind due to people getting bored of the same top teams always being in the mix.

Same folks who seem to ... not watch games ... complain about attendance and somehow never attend well attended games and so on.

Hopefully they stay in the "crying room".

We need official attendants to supervise the goings-on in the crying room, Bleed. It could get ugly up in there.

And we need to make sure the crying room is on the ground floor of the building... we don't want anyone climbing out a window, standing on a ledge and threatening to jump.

DT has done a good job marketing with players the past few days. Kudos to them. I joined DT a year ago and my annual payment is supposed to get charged to my card this weekend. I was about to login and upgrade my membership to the next higher level after seeing all the returnees, but then I realized I'm basically making some of them rich via Duck Duck Beer. That's good enough.

Top Bottom