Dare I say the Gophers have looked pretty competent lately!

Otis

Reaction score
I know this is the worst thing to post as we likely get beat down by Maryland, again.

But the guys have played pretty well together these last few games and have been executing much better.

Regardless of the outcome today, they have looked like they belong the past three games.

Still kills me we were never ahead with time on the clock against Rutgers! How often does that happen?

I would say that offensively, they have looked much better. Moving the ball quickly, finding guys inside, basically running the offense through Garcia. It has been better. Also, the free throw shooting basically won the game yesterday.

Agree that they can't turn it over as much and expect to stay in the game today. That has been a problem all year long.

Also, give us one more win please. That would get some momentum going for next season and possibly get some of these guys to stick around.

It’s looking like Garcia and Payne will be one of the best frontcourt tandems in the conference next year. Need a couple veteran transfer guards and it’s not impossible that they take a jump next year like Pitino in year 4.

up to 146 on sagarin. at least they are trending in the right direction
They had been in the 170s at one point. That's a pretty steep climb in the past several weeks. Some better showings and even a win; that'll move the needle!

As one of the BTN guys said last night, the Gophers need to take care of the ball [for a change] if they're to stand a chance against Maryland. Yesterday's win did mask that there were still way too many unforced errors.
That pass by Garcia needs some other term than "unforced error." I did like the little smile from him though.

That pass by Garcia needs some other term than "unforced error." I did like the little smile from him though.
In HS, I deliberately threw the ball out of bounds and hit a heckler right in the face!

Amazingly, i feigned enough disappointment to not get a T or be pulled from the game.

My dad after the game, “ you did that on purpose, didn’t you.”

Admittedly they are looking like a decent D1 basketball team lately. Hope it continues. I do not expect a win tonight, but do expect/hope that they continue to look like they belong. Good luck tonight Gophers.

In HS, I deliberately threw the ball out of bounds and hit a heckler right in the face!

Amazingly, i feigned enough disappointment to not get a T or be pulled from the game.

My dad after the game, “ you did that on purpose, didn’t you.”
Not at all bball related, but along these lines...In college, our intramural football team, Sexual Chocolate, was playing one of those annoying frat teams, Sigma Nu, in the championship. Our qb had a rocket arm and chucked a quick in route pass aiming straight for the face of the db in coverage. Never saw it coming. Not sure if I've ever laughed so hard. Message: Don't be a douchebag. Sorry for the off topic moment.

Not at all bball related, but along these lines...In college, our intramural football team, Sexual Chocolate, was playing one of those annoying frat teams, Sigma Nu, in the championship. Our qb had a rocket arm and chucked a quick in route pass aiming straight for the face of the db in coverage. Never saw it coming. Not sure if I've ever laughed so hard. Message: Don't be a douchebag. Sorry for the off topic moment.
Sexual Chocolate vs Scerosis of the Liver, would have been a great game!

What is this? Gopher Basketball optimism? Is that even allowed?
Those of us that want to be optimistic have to get it all out of our systems now because as soon as the next loss comes the negative crowd will come roaring back and make fun of any of us that chose to find some enjoyment in this lost season :)

There are glimmers of hope for the future of the team under Johnson. All going to come down to who stays and who they add in the off season.

Shocking that they're playing better when I've read time and time again that CBJ can't coach. It's almost like freshmen need experience to get better, who knew🤷‍♂️
It is never acceptable to have a team that is 2-17 in conference in year 2 and it is always fair game to question whether a coach with that record and no past track record as a coach, has the chops to get it done.

By the same token, it is only right for people who have criticized (correctly) the performance to also recognize progress and the possibility that more may come. I would argue that both coach and players are learning and getting better and I and others here are pleased to see it.

Shocking that they're playing better when I've read time and time again that CBJ can't coach. It's almost like freshmen need experience to get better, who knew🤷‍♂️
They also got their best player back from injury and played a much easier schedule.

I've enjoyed decent basketball in the last couple of weeks and if we play Maryland close it'll look more like development and not just a result of getting healthy/easy portions of the schedule.

I'll say this though, last night they looked like the better of the two teams. I actually thought Nebraska was lucky to keep it as close as it was.

I know this is the worst thing to post as we likely get beat down by Maryland, again.

But the guys have played pretty well together these last few games and have been executing much better.

Regardless of the outcome today, they have looked like they belong the past three games.

Still kills me we were never ahead with time on the clock against Rutgers! How often does that happen?
They looked good last night, probably best of the year....but then I think to myself that it is Nebraska, they finished 11th in the B10, and they have their own big injury situation.

Then, we lost to WI, who 95% won't make the tourney, Rutgers is on the fence, and prior to that we lose to Nebraska by 11, Maryland by 18, Illinois by 9, Penn State by 9, MSU cancelled, Iowa 12, Maryland 35, Rutgers 35, Northwestern 20...

So I guess we are playing better...but its not against good teams, so take it with a grain of salt. Let's see what tonight has to offer. Last night was good, let's see what happens when it isn't Nebraska or WI (or even Rutgers who are on the bubble).

Needless to say, "competent" should only be considered a gateway drug to the harder stuff.

They looked good last night, probably best of the year....but then I think to myself that it is Nebraska, they finished 11th in the B10, and they have their own big injury situation.

Then, we lost to WI, who 95% won't make the tourney, Rutgers is on the fence, and prior to that we lose to Nebraska by 11, Maryland by 18, Illinois by 9, Penn State by 9, MSU cancelled, Iowa 12, Maryland 35, Rutgers 35, Northwestern 20...

So I guess we are playing better...but its not against good teams, so take it with a grain of salt. Let's see what tonight has to offer. Last night was good, let's see what happens when it isn't Nebraska or WI (or even Rutgers who are on the bubble).
Now that right there is the definition of a Wet Blanket post.... :)

There is no need for a grain of salt or any other qualifiers, it is just nice to see the team competing and being in games again. The season almost certainly ends tonight, and it was a rough year. But there were some positives as well to be found, and hopefully the team builds on those and finds a way to be competitive next year for the whole season in what is probably a make or break year for Johnson.

As one of the BTN guys said last night, the Gophers need to take care of the ball [for a change] if they're to stand a chance against Maryland. Yesterday's win did mask that there were still way too many unforced errors.
We beat a very average Nebraska team by one possession. I don’t think it masked squat. Everyone knows the TOs need to cut down.

We beat a very average Nebraska team by one possession. I don’t think it masked squat. Everyone knows the TOs need to cut down.
Indeed. To be successful in the B1G you need to value the ball with each possession.
Turnovers and Rebounds are the important stats to winning and losing. The Gophers have not valued the ball like they ought. But, they won the rebounding battle last night.

Tonight we face a much better rebounding team so we better value the ball or we will lose by double digits.

Top Bottom