Daniel Oturu's draft position

Pretty sure he wont be playing much center in the nba. He will be a power forward mostly.
Huh? Have you watched an NBA game in say ohh 8 years? Guessing not ha Oturu can absolutely not play PF, basically at all. Some starting PF in the NBA: Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant, Paul George, Kevin Love, Trevor Ariza, Zion Williamson, Kristaps Porzingis, Robert Covington Those guys are all outside orientated wings who can shoot 3s and slash. Its called a stretch 4 =). There are very few times he could even match up with the opposing PF, Indiana for example plays Sabonis there or San Antonio with Aldridge. But those are the exception. Oturu will have to almost exclusively play Center and will be a pick and roll dive center with the hope that he expands his game so that could turn into pick and pop. I really think he needs to model his offensive game after Enes Kanter. Good bench asset that has a good offensive game but DO should be better on defense.

Likely picked 5th with him back. Hell, we finished a full 6 games behind UW and they return nearly everyone, plus add impressive pieces. Iowa adds. MSU is pretty loaded up and adds Hauser.
Badgers can suck it. Bunch of scrubs no matter where they land in the standings. Go pimp your boy toy somewhere else.

Huh? Have you watched an NBA game in say ohh 8 years? Guessing not ha Oturu can absolutely not play PF, basically at all. Some starting PF in the NBA: Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant, Paul George, Kevin Love, Trevor Ariza, Zion Williamson, Kristaps Porzingis, Robert Covington Those guys are all outside orientated wings who can shoot 3s and slash. Its called a stretch 4 =). There are very few times he could even match up with the opposing PF, Indiana for example plays Sabonis there or San Antonio with Aldridge. But those are the exception. Oturu will have to almost exclusively play Center and will be a pick and roll dive center with the hope that he expands his game so that could turn into pick and pop. I really think he needs to model his offensive game after Enes Kanter. Good bench asset that has a good offensive game but DO should be better on defense.
We'll see. John collins, paul Millsap, al Horford, blake Griffin, adebayo, wood, gordon are all power forwards.
You may be right but these are some players that still play traditional pf. Oturo will shoot 3's in the nba. They will mold him. Not every team plays a stretch 4.
Some teams say they start 2 pf's also.

John Collins shot almost 4 3's a game at a 40% clip, Millsap and Horford are dinosaurs that wont be around much longer, Blake/Wood play on the same team, Adebayo is a C and Gordon is WAY to quick for DO to guard. But sure.

I actually think Adebayo would be a good player for DO to try and emulate. I think Bam is a superior athlete and better passer but he was 7-5-1a a game year 1, 9-7-2 year 2 and year 3 he burst on the scene with 16-10-5a! a game and shot very few three's. If DO could turn into a 35% ish 3pt shooter and improve his handle there would be a guy to follow. Bam only shot a handful of three's this year so its not a 100% must, its more that if you are WIDE open you need to knock it down, which I think DO has the ability to do.

John Collins shot almost 4 3's a game at a 40% clip, Millsap and Horford are dinosaurs that wont be around much longer, Blake/Wood play on the same team, Adebayo is a C and Gordon is WAY to quick for DO to guard. But sure.

I actually think Adebayo would be a good player for DO to try and emulate. I think Bam is a superior athlete and better passer but he was 7-5-1a a game year 1, 9-7-2 year 2 and year 3 he burst on the scene with 16-10-5a! a game and shot very few three's. If DO could turn into a 35% ish 3pt shooter and improve his handle there would be a guy to follow. Bam only shot a handful of three's this year so its not a 100% must, its more that if you are WIDE open you need to knock it down, which I think DO has the ability to do.
Most sites list adebayo as a power forward. I bet DO averages shooting 3/4 3's a game eventually.

Daniel will be replicating what Bam Adebayo is as a "small" center. Adebayo is 6'9 and Oturu is 6'10 and both can stretch the floor with the 3 ball.

The players you're naming are mostly small forwards - Durant, Tatum, Ariza, Covington are all 3 and D small forwards. Paul George plays shooting guard for the clips - definitely not a stretch 4. Very bad comparisons to what kind of player Daniel is.

We'll see. John collins, paul Millsap, al Horford, blake Griffin, adebayo, wood, gordon are all power forwards.
You may be right but these are some players that still play traditional pf. Oturo will shoot 3's in the nba. They will mold him. Not every team plays a stretch 4.
Some teams say they start 2 pf's also.
Oturu is almost a lock to be a center on 90% of the teams. That doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Huh? Have you watched an NBA game in say ohh 8 years? Guessing not ha Oturu can absolutely not play PF, basically at all. Some starting PF in the NBA: Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant, Paul George, Kevin Love, Trevor Ariza, Zion Williamson, Kristaps Porzingis, Robert Covington

Tatum, Durant, George, Ariza, and Covington are not 4s in the NBA.

Oturu is almost a lock to be a center on 90% of the teams. That doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Like I said that might be right. But bam is considered pf and I see him with a role like that. NBA is becoming a multi-position league. Heat put out 2 pf's instead of a traditional center alot of times. It all depends on matchups. I think there is plenty of ceiling for him to get molded into a pf. But really I dont care that much what position he plays. You can be right on this. I am probably wrong.

Wing players. PG13 is a shooting guard. Comparing Oturu to Paul George is like comparing apples to oranges.

Don't harp on others for 'not knowing' NBA hoops when you're calling Paul George a stretch 4 :LOL:
Pat Beverly, Lou Williams, kawhi Leonard, Paul George Montrezl Harrell is their best lineup. So I guess you can call Kawhi the PF then. Either way, Oturu is a C , there are very very few teams that will play two guys whose strength is in the post.

We'll see what happens but I believe he needed to wait another year. He has the athleticism to defend the perimeter....not the experience. He improved his shooting by tons from Freshman to Sophomore years. He needed to be a stretch 4 (or at least offer a greater possibility) and someday I think he could be. He can't defend the post and I doubt that will change. He is not Wisconsin offensive post effective on the block. Many of those travels would even be called in the NBA. He cannot pass out of the post. He can block the shot of somebody else's man, not his.
But, it only takes one team.

Pat Beverly, Lou Williams, kawhi Leonard, Paul George Montrezl Harrell is their best lineup. So I guess you can call Kawhi the PF then. Either way, Oturu is a C , there are very very few teams that will play two guys whose strength is in the post.
Lou Will is the Clippers 6th man. He comes off the bench. Their best lineup looks like:

Pat Bev
Paul George
Kawhi
Morris
Zubac

Lou Will is the Clippers 6th man. He comes off the bench. Their best lineup looks like:

Pat Bev
Paul George
Kawhi
Morris
Zubac
Their best lineup has Ivica Zubac!?!? Hahaha now I know you have no clue, ill just let it go. My point is DO can't play the 4 in the NBA, that isn't a debate but sure people talk yourself into him being Anthony Davis

Their best lineup has Ivica Zubac!?!? Hahaha now I know you have no clue, ill just let it go. My point is DO can't play the 4 in the NBA, that isn't a debate but sure people talk yourself into him being Anthony Davis
Zubac literally starts for them at Center... do you even watch NBA basketball? You say I have no clue but compared DO to Paul George and Jayson Tatum... who's the real idiot here?

Zubac literally starts for them at Center... do you even watch NBA basketball? You say I have no clue but compared DO to Paul George and Jayson Tatum... who's the real idiot here?
Starts sure, I literally never said starts, I said BEST. And I never compared DO to them, I told the original poster that DO could not play at the 4 because those guys do thus why he can't.

Starts sure, I literally never said starts, I said BEST. And I never compared DO to them, I told the original poster that DO could not play at the 4 because those guys do thus why he can't.
But half the people you named dont usually play pf. What position did kevin love play coming out of college? He became a pf in the nba, he still played it even though he couldn't cover guys like you mentioned.

But half the people you named dont usually play pf. What position did kevin love play coming out of college? He became a pf in the nba, he still played it even though he couldn't cover guys like you mentioned.
We're arguing with a brick wall. This guy tried to flex his NBA knowledge without realizing that others on this board watch NBA as well.

Like I said that might be right. But bam is considered pf and I see him with a role like that. NBA is becoming a multi-position league. Heat put out 2 pf's instead of a traditional center alot of times. It all depends on matchups. I think there is plenty of ceiling for him to get molded into a pf. But really I dont care that much what position he plays. You can be right on this. I am probably wrong.
I'm just going by what has been happening in the league for the last few years. Anything can change, but guys like James Johnson (6'8") have been playing a lot of center lately when three years ago they were 100% PF's. Since Oturu isn't a legit 3 pt shooter (yet?) I just don't see him playing the 4 on offense. Defense is a whole other thing..

Idk why some people think it's some slight if others think Oturu might not be anything then a good bench player or something like that.

He'll more likely then not contribute in someway to an NBA team and that should be considered a success. Doesn't matter if he ends up a starter (I personally don't see him being a 30+ MPG player) or if he ends up a 10-15 MPG positive contributor off the bench or anywhere inbetween.

Having a player representing the U while carving out a career in the NBA would be great.

Idk why some people think it's some slight if others think Oturu might not be anything then a good bench player or something like that.

He'll more likely then not contribute in someway to an NBA team and that should be considered a success. Doesn't matter if he ends up a starter (I personally don't see him being a 30+ MPG player) or if he ends up a 10-15 MPG positive contributor off the bench or anywhere inbetween.

Having a player representing the U while carving out a career in the NBA would be great.
Sorry but you're wrong - Oturu is the next Karl Malone.

Sorry but you're wrong - Oturu is the next Karl Malone.
I'm Karl Malone and I'm speaking for Karl Malone. Karl Malone thinks Oturu will be just like Karl Malone. In fact, Karl Malone will help Oturu be just like Karl Malone. You all will think you are seeing Karl Malone out there when in fact it won't be Karl Malone but Oturu. This has been Karl Malone speaking for Karl Malone. Karl Malone is done speaking now but Karl Malone will speak more again some time soon when Karl Malone has more thoughts on Oturu.

The Ringer has Daniel Oturu ranked #44 on their NBA Draft big board, which was updated this morning......

DANIEL OTURU

Center, Minnesota, sophomore
  • PTS20.123.7 per 40
  • REB11.313.3 per 40
  • BLK2.52.9 per 40
  • 3PT%36.552 3PA
AGE20.7
WINGSPAN7'2''
HEIGHT6'10''
WEIGHT240

Throwback big man with an improved 3-pointer; he made dramatic overall progress from his freshman to sophomore seasons, but is still an unfinished project.

SHADES OF: Alex Len

PLUSES
  • Skilled inside scorer. He does a good job of sealing off his defender and establishing post position; scores using drop steps, hooks, and face-ups.
  • Nimble ball handler who can score on the attack, whether facing up or driving on closeouts.
  • Sets strong screens. He would do well in a pick-and-roll system with skilled ball handlers.
  • Improved 3-point shooter. He shoots a set shot, though it works for him. He hit 37 percent of his 3s on only 54 attempts, but shot only 67 percent from the charity stripe.
  • Active rebounder; he has the prototypical size and intensity of a big man who can dominate the boards.
  • Agile and explosive interior defender. He’s blessed with a thick frame and long arms.
MINUSES
  • Turns the ball over too often in the post. He needs to be quicker at reading defenses and feeling pressure.
  • Lacks an off hand around the rim; he’d get blocked less frequently if he adds it to his game.
  • He’ll need to adjust to the NBA game; he was a primary post option in college, and may now go for games without being fed a single back-to-the-basket touch.
  • Conditioning seems to be an issue; his feet move like they’re in sludge toward the end of his stints on the floor, which especially hurts him in help defense situations.

The Ringer has Daniel Oturu ranked #44 on their NBA Draft big board, which was updated this morning......

DANIEL OTURU

• PTS20.123.7 per 40
  • REB11.313.3 per 40
  • BLK2.52.9 per 40
  • 3PT%36.552 3PA
AGE20.7
WINGSPAN7'2''
HEIGHT6'10''
WEIGHT240

Throwback big man with an improved 3-pointer; he made dramatic overall progress from his freshman to sophomore seasons, but is still an unfinished project.

PLUSES
  • Skilled inside scorer. He does a good job of sealing off his defender and establishing post position; scores using drop steps, hooks, and face-ups.
  • Nimble ball handler who can score on the attack, whether facing up or driving on closeouts.
  • Sets strong screens. He would do well in a pick-and-roll system with skilled ball handlers.
  • Improved 3-point shooter. He shoots a set shot, though it works for him. He hit 37 percent of his 3s on only 54 attempts, but shot only 67 percent from the charity stripe.
  • Active rebounder; he has the prototypical size and intensity of a big man who can dominate the boards.
  • Agile and explosive interior defender. He’s blessed with a thick frame and long arms.
MINUSES
  • Turns the ball over too often in the post. He needs to be quicker at reading defenses and feeling pressure.
  • Lacks an off hand around the rim; he’d get blocked less frequently if he adds it to his game.
  • He’ll need to adjust to the NBA game; he was a primary post option in college, and may now go for games without being fed a single back-to-the-basket touch.
  • Conditioning seems to be an issue; his feet move like they’re in sludge toward the end of his stints on the floor, which especially hurts him in help defense situations.

Good rundown. I feel some of those weaknesses were due to playing for a team with very few reliable scorers, having to carry so much of the load (often against multiple coverage), and the general fatigue that comes with those things.

I still think he goes higher than #44 but how much higher I don't know.

Wow! Much lower than I anticipated. He may end up playing in the G League with his former teammates...

Lacks an off hand around the rim; he’d get blocked less frequently if he adds it to his game.

I agree with that 100%. He got blocked an awful lot for a big man.

DANIEL OTURU

• PTS20.123.7 per 40
  • REB11.313.3 per 40
  • BLK2.52.9 per 40
  • 3PT%36.552 3PA
AGE20.7
WINGSPAN7'2''
HEIGHT6'10''
WEIGHT240

PLUSES
MINUSES
This a a breakdown i agree with but the NBA loves potential and i still hear 23-28

Top Bottom