Daniel Oturu's draft position

UW loses only one senior. Pritzl averaged 8 points per game. Hope your right about a larger jump . If we jump 4 games to get to 12-8. they would need to go 19-1 to top that. The 6 game difference this year is a huge gap.

The Badgers record far exceeded their performance metrics on the court. Gard was teetering on the edge of being canned well into January. Much like NFL teams that over perform their metrics one year (2018 Bears) only to regress to their mean the next, the same may well apply to Wisconsin next year. Another way to look at it: Gabe Kalscheur makes a free throw against Iowa; the fuzzy-haired kid from Purdue misses a scramble 3 with 15 seconds left to force overtime in West Lafayette; and Pritzl misses his scramble three in Madison; Gophers are 11-9 in conference, not 8-12. Exact same team.

You know, Justin Patton is a good example of the lack of downside in the decision to enter the draft if you have a pretty good shot at being drafted in the 1st round (I believe Daniel does although maybe not has high as #16). Patton has played 6 NBA games in 3 years. So far, one would have to consider him a bust. Nevertheless, he has earned about $6.5 million over those 3 years. If he managed to put away a million (or even less) of that, he could decide to quit professional basketball, go back to school, and finish his degree without any financial problems.

Patton played only one year at Creighton. His freshman numbers were slightly better than Oturu's freshman numbers, but only slightly.

Yes, and this is due to the perverting effects of too much money that is dumped in NBA and team coffers. Perhaps the new economic reality will lead to a recalibration of whats valuable.

You know, Justin Patton is a good example of the lack of downside in the decision to enter the draft if you have a pretty good shot at being drafted in the 1st round (I believe Daniel does although maybe not has high as #16). Patton has played 6 NBA games in 3 years. So far, one would have to consider him a bust. Nevertheless, he has earned about $6.5 million over those 3 years. If he managed to put away a million (or even less) of that, he could decide to quit professional basketball, go back to school, and finish his degree without any financial problems.

Patton played only one year at Creighton. His freshman numbers were slightly better than Oturu's freshman numbers, but only slightly.
Patton had the misfortune of having Bill Walton's feet entering the NBA. Then he got injured again after finally getting healthy enough to play. He never really had a chance.

Most accurate mock draft site 8 of past 9 years:

View attachment 7646
Updated 3/25 and might be the worst mock draft I have seen in my life. There is no real world scenario where Obi Tobbin goes top three. Haliburton will go in the top seven for sure. Killian Hayes could go top five. I hope Oturu goes that high but there is zero chance of that happening.

View attachment 7646

The fact that there may be no combine will also work in Daniels favor imo. His game tape is good, he will be a good digital interview and he is known as a really hard worker and will be considered a relatively safe pick without maybe as high of a ceiling. There will be plenty of organizations that value and respect that especially with a different process this year.

Updated 3/25 and might be the worst mock draft I have seen in my life. There is no real world scenario where Obi Tobbin goes top three. Haliburton will go in the top seven for sure. Killian Hayes could go top five. I hope Oturu goes that high but there is zero chance of that happening.

This is Dauster's that he did on April 13th and has him 4th. Will depend on need, but he could slip in. Would the Wolves like a guy like him over an unknown like Wiseman when they have a shorter window with KAT? This one has Oturo 27. I do think he goes in the 15-22 slot.

This is Dauster's that he did on April 13th and has him 4th. Will depend on need, but he could slip in. Would the Wolves like a guy like him over an unknown like Wiseman when they have a shorter window with KAT? This one has Oturo 27. I do think he goes in the 15-22 slot.
That one looks a lot more realistic overall.

I've read a few Wolves "experts" takes and they say there isn't a lot of love for Toppin due to his defense. Kid can run/jump and shoot but can't defend. The Wolves are desperate for defenders. I'd rather have Toppin than lots of players in the draft, but if the Wolves get a top 4 pick...I think they start looking at trades to maximize the pick.

I personally feel the top players are going to be in some order of Edwards, Ball and and Wiseman. It depends on where teams lineup of course. The next grouping is all over the place.

I really don't get the interest in Wiseman for the Wolves. I'd much rather have Okongwu from USC.

I also don't get the love for Tre Jones. I think he could slip towards the end of the 1st round. I just don't see a poor shooting PG going at 20.

Kevin O'Conner at the ringer at Tyrell Terry at 8 overall!! Wow, i like Terry a lot but 8 is high.

Also of note, not Oturu to be found in his rankings. Still wanting to hear from the people who think he is Hakeem and we are playing 1984 nba basketball yet on why he is going so high and about my bets :giggle:

I don't get the talk that he might not go in the first round... he's not coming back folks, he's projected to have a huge payday.

The Badgers record far exceeded their performance metrics on the court. Gard was teetering on the edge of being canned well into January. Much like NFL teams that over perform their metrics one year (2018 Bears) only to regress to their mean the next, the same may well apply to Wisconsin next year. Another way to look at it: Gabe Kalscheur makes a free throw against Iowa; the fuzzy-haired kid from Purdue misses a scramble 3 with 15 seconds left to force overtime in West Lafayette; and Pritzl misses his scramble three in Madison; Gophers are 11-9 in conference, not 8-12. Exact same team.
Alvarez was never close to firing Gard. Group of message board fans over there wanted that but they have no influence. Alvarez has been advised and is convinced that Gard will win multiple conference titles and get to a final 4. So do i. UW is loaded for a huge season

View attachment 7646

Well, that may be (it's the one I've followed the most) but I suspect that accuracy of mock drafts, like the accuracy of election polls, is measured very shortly before the event. We're still two and a half months away.

Looks like 2nd round and G-league duty for DO. In the old days that would be cause for return to college ball but no longer. All these marginal NBA players leaving early is hard to understand. College degree really losing its value.

It's worse than you think, unless you are coming out STEM, Accounting, Nursing, Medical... few athletes have time for those majors.

Great kid who improved a lot but would make more money if he played 1 more season. He is not guaranteed to be a first round pick. If he continued to improve he could be a lottery pick. I hope he listens to guarantees from NBA teams not possibilities. If he is 90% sure hi is going in the first round then pull the trigger but round 2 is not what he signed up for. He has too much potential. Lottery picks get big money guaranteed. Second round players are guaranteed nothing

Great kid who improved a lot but would make more money if he played 1 more season. He is not guaranteed to be a first round pick. If he continued to improve he could be a lottery pick. I hope he listens to guarantees from NBA teams not possibilities. If he is 90% sure hi is going in the first round then pull the trigger but round 2 is not what he signed up for. He has too much potential. Lottery picks get big money guaranteed. Second round players are guaranteed nothing
I’m not sure he would make more money if he stayed.

I am kind of a different opinion on here in that I think he is a second rounder. I don’t think he makes an NBA roster for more than 2-3 years of his career...and I think he should go pro anyways

I am the wrong guy in projecting NBA success because that is a different game than the college game but a scout i know very well with the Bucks says around 23rd because of his upside. So much work to do but he appears to be a kid who will work all the way through.

So kind of off topic, but let's assume the NCAA passes the new rule saying a player can be paid for his likeness (aka do commercials, shoe deal, etc), does that make someone like Oturu or Coffey more likely to stay? Thinking they not make a roster right away but now could probably do better with their college "fame" vs riding the pine in the NBA or the G league?

Alvarez was never close to firing Gard. Group of message board fans over there wanted that but they have no influence. Alvarez has been advised and is convinced that Gard will win multiple conference titles and get to a final 4. So do i. UW is loaded for a huge season

Want to wager on it? Fans have no influence...thats a good one.

Once again, Built tries to take every thread and turn it into a discussion of how great his beloved BADgers are. I guess you didn't notice Built, but this is a thread on Oturu's draft position, not your BADgers. IMO, you should start a thread on what you want to talk about, that way people that want to join you can do so.

Want to wager on it? Fans have no influence...thats a good one.
Fans that donate millions and basketball advisers were always behind Gard. Greg is a brilliant teacher. What part do you want to wager on ? Let's make it really worth it. 16 fans on a message board and 500 in the stands does not move Barry Alvarez a inch. He has great basketball minds at his side.

Once again, Built tries to take every thread and turn it into a discussion of how great his beloved BADgers are. I guess you didn't notice Built, but this is a thread on Oturu's draft position, not your BADgers. IMO, you should start a thread on what you want to talk about, that way people that want to join you can do so.
I finally took one of his many offers of advice and ignored him a couple of days ago. I no longer yell at my monitor and my blood pressure is down. I am sooo sick of his BS rants about his BADgers and his anti-Pitino crap. He can say what he wants about homer-only posting here but there is nothing more sickening than his posts that Pitino sucks, yet he is a big donor, he cheers for the Gophers, he is asked for advice about where someone's kid should go, blah blah blah. Just so sick of his crap!!

Spoiler alert: Goodman has Oturu going 25th to the Thunder.

Spoiler alert: Goodman has Oturu going 25th to the Thunder.

Sounds about right to me. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go a little higher, but anything in the first round is a win for Daniel and the program.

On a side note, Bucks drafting Nico Mannion is comical. They aren't taking a mediocre guard who averaged 14 ppg with 33% 3pt shooting when they have Giannis, Bledsoe, and DiVincenzo. They like lengthy players, could see them drafting Oturu.

Sam Vecenie of "The Athletic" has moved him from the second round to #23 so Daniel seems to be trending the right way. Ball handling, passing, and a little small for a center are concerns for teams according to him.

Sam Vecenie of "The Athletic" has moved him from the second round to #23 so Daniel seems to be trending the right way. Ball handling, passing, and a little small for a center are concerns for teams according to him.
Pretty sure he wont be playing much center in the nba. He will be a power forward mostly.

I think he is a better prospect than several of the center/PFs projected ahead of him, including Jalen Smith and the two prospects from Washington.

Top Bottom