Current 2024 scholarship outlook

Given that D1 football is de facto professional ball, why are there any eligibility requirements? Let the pros compete for positions as long as they are able. And why retain any academic requirements since they are employees?
They are not employees.

Has there ever been a team that opted out of playing a bowl game because too many of their players entered the portal? At some point, this is bound to happen.

Ok. They are paid to play football.
Huge difference. The school is not paying them. They are earning money selling (monetizing) their NIL, so they are getting paid to do that. If they work through a collective, they have a contract with the collective.

Huge difference. The school is not paying them. They are earning money selling (monetizing) their NIL, so they are getting paid to do that. If they work through a collective, they have a contract with the collective.
Yes, I understand. That's a distinction without a difference. The players are being paid to play football. That's de facto pro football. The effect will be that the best talent will be attracted to the winning schools even more than now. Like so many things in today's society, this old geezer is saddened by this. Thanks for the respectful discussion.

Meanwhile the school is actively involved in raising money for those collectives or from private interests on a case by case basis.

Updated with Mauricio Hinds decommiting

Updated with Max Brosmer transferring in

He didn't really decommit, they pulled his scholarship offer because he went on an OV and did not let the Coaching Staff and UM know. He posted on Twitter he decommited to save face but the reality was it was pulled.
They cooled on him?

Updated with Tyrell Lawrence transferring

Nubin is not currently on scholarship correct? but would assume he will 100% get one of the spots left

Nubin is not currently on scholarship correct? but would assume he will 100% get one of the spots left
I believe Jordan Nubin is indeed a walk-on. I agree that when the dust settles, he'll get a scholarship if one is available.

I believe Jordan Nubin is indeed a walk-on. I agree that when the dust settles, he'll get a scholarship if one is available.
He will absolutely get a scholarship for the 2024 season, given what he did for the team this year. Same as Dragan Kesich, who is also a walk-on, if I recall right.

He will absolutely get a scholarship for the 2024 season, given what he did for the team this year. Same as Dragan Kesich, who is also a walk-on, if I recall right.
Yep, Dragan is a walk-on too. I think he may be on a yearly scholarship now, but I think they have to be renewed every year for walk-ons? They don't really give much info around that.

Yep, Dragan is a walk-on too. I think he may be on a yearly scholarship now, but I think they have to be renewed every year for walk-ons? They don't really give much info around that.
It is murky, at least to me, but I think that W/O scholarships are given/renewed on a year-by-year (or even semester basis). Dragan, obviously is good through graduation, and Jordan Nubin should be.

Updated with the three transfer commitments this weekend. Sounds like 3 of our HS recruits may decommit soon so we'll see if we stay at 1 open spot or go back to 4.

Added Trent Howland. We are now at 85 scholarships, we'll see how long that lasts.

Jordan Guerad only has one season left, and I doubt they're going to redshirt him next year.

Just noticed that you have Kesich and LeCaptain as walk-ons likely to get scholarships in 2024. Agree ... if LeCaptain comes back. He's played for a while.

You might want to add Jordan Nubin as a walk-on likely to get a scholarship in 2024 (and 2025, for that matter). He's right up there with Kesich as pretty much a sure thing. He's earned it.

Your current count says to me that we are still going to lose a few, maybe several more rostered scholarship guys (who probably have not panned out), perhaps after the bowl game, but certainly in the spring practice portal. I would think PJ will be hitting the portal for a few more battle-tested guys who will help shore up some areas of poor depth. Gophs aren't in a position to participate in the bizarre auctions for the biggest dogs in the portal (which I'm OK with, personally). But we do have a lot to offer to the hundreds of players a rung or two down who clearly can improve our roster's athleticism, speed and playing experience. Go Gophers!

Updated with Jide decommiting.
Just noticed that you have Kesich and LeCaptain as walk-ons likely to get scholarships in 2024. Agree ... if LeCaptain comes back. He's played for a while.

You might want to add Jordan Nubin as a walk-on likely to get a scholarship in 2024 (and 2025, for that matter). He's right up there with Kesich as pretty much a sure thing. He's earned it.

Your current count says to me that we are still going to lose a few, maybe several more rostered scholarship guys (who probably have not panned out), perhaps after the bowl game, but certainly in the spring practice portal. I would think PJ will be hitting the portal for a few more battle-tested guys who will help shore up some areas of poor depth. Gophs aren't in a position to participate in the bizarre auctions for the biggest dogs in the portal (which I'm OK with, personally). But we do have a lot to offer to the hundreds of players a rung or two down who clearly can improve our roster's athleticism, speed and playing experience. Go Gophers!
The list I have are walk-ons who have received a scholarship before. While I agree Nubin will probably get one of there is room, he doesn't quite qualify for the list yet as he hasn't received one before (to my knowledge)

Updated with Jide decommiting.

The list I have are walk-ons who have received a scholarship before. While I agree Nubin will probably get one of there is room, he doesn't quite qualify for the list yet as he hasn't received one before (to my knowledge)
Probably correct. But if we are keeping an accurate count of scholarships taken/available in the 2024 season, it would make sense somewhere to count Jordan Nubin. He’s as likely as anyone in the 2024 recruiting class to be taking up a scholarship.

Inside knowledge?
Pretty widely reported over the last few days--Michigan kid, verbal commit to the U early this year (before any Michigan or Michigan State offer), primary recruiter was Rossi, took a visit to Michigan State on December 8, Rossi jumped to Michigan State while he was on his visit to East Lansing. Following all that, the recruiting services have predicted that he's about to flip.

Pretty widely reported over the last few days--Michigan kid, verbal commit to the U early this year (before any Michigan or Michigan State offer), primary recruiter was Rossi, took a visit to Michigan State on December 8, Rossi jumped to Michigan State while he was on his visit to East Lansing. Following all that, the recruiting services have predicted that he's about to flip.
BINGO! He just hasn't announced it yet but it's a done deal

Updated with Jordan Guerad flipping to louisville

Updated with this weekends transfer updates

Top Bottom