Current 2024 scholarship outlook

Looks like we're back to 83 with Eddy Toussom (2025) going elsewhere.

feels odd going to the transfer portal on 247, clicking on bigten, and seeing the 4 new schools listed.

This thread remains one of the most valuable on this site, thanks @swelna. At the moment, it would appear that we will have a maximum of 17 scholarships open at the end of the 2024 season before any (likely) attrition due to other reasons.
There will likely still be some movement after spring ball.

17 spots for HS kids
3-5 more HS spots created by transfers
about 5 more transfers in.

Updated with Quindario Lee opening up his recruitment. At this point I wouldn't be shocked to see no movement until at least we hire a DC, maybe even not until close to spring ball.

Updated with Quindario Lee opening up his recruitment. At this point I wouldn't be shocked to see no movement until at least we hire a DC, maybe even not until close to spring ball.
Probably tough to get much traction with D transfers going forward without a DC in place. We aren’t a destination that transcends who the coaches are.

Updated with Logan Fife decommiting

Updated with Marcus Major and Christian Driver commiting

Updated with Jaylen Varner commit. We are currently at 85 scholarships if everything sticks. I'd expect to see movement around spring ball and I guess until the transfers are on campus, we can't count on any of them staying.

Updated with Jaylen Varner commit. We are currently at 85 scholarships if everything sticks. I'd expect to see movement around spring ball and I guess until the transfers are on campus, we can't count on any of them staying.

swelna - I have lost track. How many portal players have "committed" to MN and then "de-committed" during this current cycle? Is it 4, 5 or 6?

swelna - I have lost track. How many portal players have "committed" to MN and then "de-committed" during this current cycle? Is it 4, 5 or 6?
Fresno QB, Indiana RB guy, directional Michigan DL guy, and who else am I missing?

Fresno QB, Indiana RB guy, directional Michigan DL guy, and who else am I missing?
I think there was a Juco Edge Rusher who committed and de-committed - went to UAB?

that's what I mean - it happens so quickly that it's hard to keep track unless you're running an Excel spreadsheet on your computer - which I am not.

I think 4 or 5, but I lazily didn't put all the specific changes in some of my posts, so I don't know for sure.

seems like a position to keep an eye on after spring ball. WR. i think we are sitting at 11 scholly guys heading into 2024 season.
Jackson-Final Year
Spencer-Final Year
Varner-Final Year
Brockington-2 Years
Hoskins-3 years
Driver-3 Years
McWilliams-4 years
Lanier-4 Years
Hayes-4 Years
Smith-True Freshman
Sims-True Freshman

lots of competition once you get beyond Jackson and Brockington

Updated with Tyler Bride transferring and Bryce Williams seemingly getting a medical redshirt based on being on the spring roster. This doesn't change the overall number.

I think I will overhaul this post in the spring to split things up by last year of eligibility versus what class they entered in.

You're at 85 without counting walk-ons Kesich, Nubin and LeCaptain. Inconceivable that Kesich and Nubin will be denied scholarships after their 2023 performances (or they would be in the portal). And LeCaptain looks to be back for year 6, which would be unusual for a guy paying his own way. So my own count is that the Gophs are probably at 88, not 85. I expect that 3-5 more ot the team's marginal contributors (on scholarship) will be moving on in the spring.

You're at 85 without counting walk-ons Kesich, Nubin and LeCaptain. Inconceivable that Kesich and Nubin will be denied scholarships after their 2023 performances (or they would be in the portal). And LeCaptain looks to be back for year 6, which would be unusual for a guy paying his own way. So my own count is that the Gophs are probably at 88, not 85. I expect that 3-5 more ot the team's marginal contributors (on scholarship) will be moving on in the spring.
That's a fair assessment

Updated with Darnell Jefferies being on the spring roster (likely medical redshirt).

Updated with this week's transfers and Bryce Williams no longer being listed on the roster.

Updated with Adam Kissayi transferring in, Victor Pless transferring out, and Logan Purcell no longer showing up on the 2024 roster.

Also, is Kallerup on this list? I have looked a couple times but perhaps I am just missing his name.

Top Bottom