Curious about how Cosgrove will do

broken-record.jpg

Sums up the content of this tread nicely I think.

I don't doubt that as I have heard that Callahan had a hard time transitioning and relating to the college game due to his complex offense. Just because he was more impressive than Callahan doesn't mean to me however that he should be the guy here. As unremarkable as Callahan may be the offensive side of the ball was not the problem there so Cosgrove cannot say that the failures of the offense put undo pressure on his defenses there. So therefore, Cosgrove either couldn't recruit high level talent, was a poor evaluator of talent, and or couldn't develop players. His best defenses there were with players recruited by the previous staff and after he left the new staff as you mentioned was left with so little talent last year that they were using multiple walk-ons and still in year 1 were able to begin to right the ship that he sank. I am just thankful he is not the solo d-coordinator.

Not that recruiting is the D-coordinator's job (it is a part of his job but it falls on many people) but Cosgrove actually has a reputation as a stellar recruiter. Some of the kids he pulled out of Chicago and St. Louis while he was at Wisconsin speaks for itself and that was done over a longer time period than the short time he was in Nebraska. We're already in on some good recruits out of St. Louis this year too.

Not that recruiting is the D-coordinator's job (it is a part of his job but it falls on many people) but Cosgrove actually has a reputation as a stellar recruiter. Some of the kids he pulled out of Chicago and St. Louis while he was at Wisconsin speaks for itself and that was done over a longer time period than the short time he was in Nebraska. We're already in on some good recruits out of St. Louis this year too.

I think he was probably a decent coach at one time but that time has passed and he passed his prime several years ago. So that I am clear, you are saying he is a great recruiter, is he then a terrible coach and teacher if he could not get a better showing out of this supposedly great talent that he recruited. How else would you explain it because something has to give? You cannot be a great coach and a great recruiter and go and lay an egg out there on the field and lose your team. Also thanks for stating the obvious that all the coaches are involved in recruiting.

I think you could overlook it if it was just a down year but when it is the worst defense by a long shot in the entire history of a school that has been playing football for a long time it is kind of hard to.

You mean like...Tim Brewster's first year??? :eek:

Sorry if my respect for a coach who competed at the highest levels for a long time and who contributed just as much to his community off the field bothers you. I guess we are not aloud to respect other coaches who won the right way if they didn't coach at Minnesota. I guess I better never say anything positive about John Wooden either so as not to upset Barbie doll. Also, please note that I never said he could not succeed here, just said that it doesn't bode well when you have more of a uphill battle here than what he walked into there in 2005. Am I am fan of Nebraska as well as Minnesota, sure. How could I not be, I grew up there with season tickets as a kid, had several friends and teammates who played there, and was able to witness how fun it is to be around a winning program and attending the big games with national implications. My goal is for the same thing to happen at Minnesota so I and other fans may experience this same level of excitement, success, and fan support. We may disagree on who is most capable of taking Minnesota to those levels of success but that is what is great about this message board. Do I think Minnesota would benefit from following some of the things that have worked at other successful programs, yes.

I will say I enjoy how you like to present yourself as more intelligent than everyone else on the board by using your word of the day calendar entries in your posts, only to switch a few sentences later into 4th grade equivalent name calling. You have definitely showed that a large vocabulary does not equate to class.

You just don't get it. It has nothing to do with your admiration for Nebraska and or/Texas. It's hard not to admire a man who not only won 3 national championships, but also by all accounts is a good and decent person.

The problem is that you have to inject your Nebraska/Texas hard-on into EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION on this board. If someone brings up something directly related to them, the resident Nebraska/Texas expert will be sure to offer his input. Nothing wrong with that, but then even when the subject is at best quasi-tangentially related to them, you twist words and make it about them, with a none-too-subtle reminder about how much better they are at everything ever.

We'll be sitting and having a nice conversation about, say, outstate recruiting, and here comes GG, "NEBRASKA's WALK-ON PROGRAM IS THE GREATEST INVENTION IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND," pitching a tent while talking about it, knocking over all of Grandma's precious antique china, and making a mess all over the front of his new khakis.

Are you suggesting I should migrate over to the basketball board and consistently remind them how awesome John Wooden is, how Westwood is the sh*t, and how they do everything better than us? Yeah, I'm sure that'd go over well. Just like your BS does here.

See, this is a GOPHER board. Not CORNHUSKERS. Not LONGHORNS. If you absolutely must get it out of your system, go over to the Husker Spot and join in the Lincoln circle-jerk. I'd bet even money that you probably already have a login. No one here wants to hear about it.

You just don't get it. It has nothing to do with your admiration for Nebraska and or/Texas. It's hard not to admire a man who not only won 3 national championships, but also by all accounts is a good and decent person.

The problem is that you have to inject your Nebraska/Texas hard-on into EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION on this board. If someone brings up something directly related to them, the resident Nebraska/Texas expert will be sure to offer his input. Nothing wrong with that, but then even when the subject is at best quasi-tangentially related to them, you twist words and make it about them, with a none-too-subtle reminder about how much better they are at everything ever.

We'll be sitting and having a nice conversation about, say, outstate recruiting, and here comes GG, "NEBRASKA's WALK-ON PROGRAM IS THE GREATEST INVENTION IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND," pitching a tent while talking about it, knocking over all of Grandma's precious antique china, and making a mess all over the front of his new khakis.

Are you suggesting I should migrate over to the basketball board and consistently remind them how awesome John Wooden is, how Westwood is the sh*t, and how they do everything better than us? Yeah, I'm sure that'd go over well. Just like your BS does here.

See, this is a GOPHER board. Not CORNHUSKERS. Not LONGHORNS. If you absolutely must get it out of your system, go over to the Husker Spot and join in the Lincoln circle-jerk. I'd bet even money that you probably already have a login. No one here wants to hear about it.

Wow do I get under your skin, you really should try and move on and worry about yourself and not about me so much. Good job on exaggerating however, you really should try and control your blood pressure so you don't have a stroke. If you don't like what I post then just ignore it, you don't have to respond to every one, no really you don't. I often ignore a lot of your posts, for instance I didn't jump on your about your whole thread on why stoudemire shouldn't be moved to offense which definitely put me in the minority.

Wow do I get under your skin, you really should try and move on and worry about yourself and not about me so much. Good job on exaggerating however, you really should try and control your blood pressure so you don't have a stroke. If you don't like what I post then just ignore it, you don't have to respond to every one, no really you don't. I often ignore a lot of your posts, for instance I didn't jump on your about your whole thread on why stoudemire shouldn't be moved to offense which definitely put me in the minority.

So you do think that it's normal and sensible to talk constantly about Nebraska and Texas on a Minnesota fan board? Good, glad we've got that settled.

Top Bottom