Curious about how Cosgrove will do

calminnfan

Reaction score
granted his defense fell under severe questioning at Nebraska, at the same time he used his year off to talk to and learn from various head coaches. It will be interesting to see how the defense turns out.

Cosgrove

Well, he's had success at other schools so the jury is still out on him. I think the Gophers are responding pretty well to him.

Go Gophers!!

If he keeps the defense pretty vanilla like last year, I think we'll be fine. It wouldn't hurt if we were opportunists in the turnover dept again, either.

His resumer is more positive then it is negative not to mention the only bad year he had in Nebraska was in 2007, he had a Top 25 defense in points allowed in 2005 & 2006, maybe the entire staff knew they were out the door going into the 2007 season and just stopped giving a sh*t?

Don't forget that his defense was the reason that Nebraska won in 2005. It ended badly there but it started out very well with a top 10 defense that I believe led the country in sacks.

Don't forget that his defense was the reason that Nebraska won in 2005. It ended badly there but it started out very well with a top 10 defense that I believe led the country in sacks.

That was his best year when he had the previous coaching staffs recruits. The talent level of defensive players that he actually recruited declined each year from the previous staffs and his inability to make game adjustments as well as defend the spread were beyond terrible. I think he was probably a decent coach at one time but time and the new offenses passed him by.

That was his best year when he had the previous coaching staffs recruits. The talent level of defensive players that he actually recruited declined each year from the previous staffs and his inability to make game adjustments as well as defend the spread were beyond terrible. I think he was probably a decent coach at one time but time and the new offenses passed him by.

Recruiting (by stars) wasn't their problem. They actually brought in some good recruiting classes while Callahan was there. However, for whatever reason some of those players didn't develop like they were expecting. This last year they had a 4-star safety sitting on the bench behind a walk-on safety that is the caliber of DBs in the MIAC. That statement isn't my opinion, it came directly from one of their coaches.

PicardNotAgain_anonib.jpg

Cosgrove has a mixed history. Some good D's, some terrible D's. His D's were terrible most recently and this scares people. GG has written him off and swears his recruiting abilities are for shite. Others will support him b/c GG doesn't. Some think it was Callahan's fault or that he needed a new start. Most advocate a wait and see approach. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. The sky is blue. Our first game is against Syracuse.

There. Feel free to copy and paste the same responses in from other threads if you wish, but otherwise I'm pretty sure I saved everyone a bunch of time.

Not true Gopher God.

Here's the 2007 Nebraska Starting Defense and their recruiting stars. All those stars managed to rank them as the nation's 112th-ranked defense.

DE: Barry Turner (3*) Clayton Sievers (3*)
DT: Ty Steinkuler (3*) Brandon Johnson (3*)
DT: Ndamukong Suh (4*) Shukree Barfield (3*)
DE: Zack Potter (4*) Pierre Allen (3*)

SLB: Bo Ruud (4*) Kyle Moore (walk-on)
MLB: Corey McKeon (3*) Phillip Dillard (4*)
WLB: Steve Octavien (4*) Lance Brandenburg (3*)

CB: Courtney Grixby (4*) Armando Murillo (4*)
CB: Andre Jones (5*) Zack Bowman (5*)
FS: Tierre Green (2*) Brian Wilson (2*)
SS: Larry Asante (4*) Ricky Thenarse (4*)

PicardNotAgain_anonib.jpg

Cosgrove has a mixed history. Some good D's, some terrible D's. His D's were terrible most recently and this scares people. GG has written him off and swears his recruiting abilities are for shite. Others will support him b/c GG doesn't. Some think it was Callahan's fault or that he needed a new start. Most advocate a wait and see approach. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. The sky is blue. Our first game is against Syracuse.

There. Feel free to copy and paste the same responses in from other threads if you wish, but otherwise I'm pretty sure I saved everyone a bunch of time.

First off, my basic point was that he spent his off year trying to gather information in order, I suspect, to improve as a DC. Thus I am wondering how his off year's research and work has improved or altered his coaching approach and if he has improved.

It seems like a legitimate question, since, as you just pointed out, his "multiple" assessments are on previous work, not on potential change of coaching philosophy and approach that may have happened because of this research.

There, feel free to read the original post more thoroughly!

Not true Gopher God.

Here's the 2007 Nebraska Starting Defense and their recruiting stars. All those stars managed to rank them as the nation's 112th-ranked defense.

DE: Barry Turner (3*) Clayton Sievers (3*)
DT: Ty Steinkuler (3*) Brandon Johnson (3*)
DT: Ndamukong Suh (4*) Shukree Barfield (3*)
DE: Zack Potter (4*) Pierre Allen (3*)

SLB: Bo Ruud (4*) Kyle Moore (walk-on)
MLB: Corey McKeon (3*) Phillip Dillard (4*)
WLB: Steve Octavien (4*) Lance Brandenburg (3*)

CB: Courtney Grixby (4*) Armando Murillo (4*)
CB: Andre Jones (5*) Zack Bowman (5*)
FS: Tierre Green (2*) Brian Wilson (2*)
SS: Larry Asante (4*) Ricky Thenarse (4*)

All I said was the talent he had earlier on there was better than what he recruited or else he is an even worse coach and developer of talent than I thought. Several of the players recruited by the former regime and handed to him in 2005 are now starters or significant contributors in the NFL.

Recruiting (by stars) wasn't their problem. They actually brought in some good recruiting classes while Callahan was there. However, for whatever reason some of those players didn't develop like they were expecting. This last year they had a 4-star safety sitting on the bench behind a walk-on safety that is the caliber of DBs in the MIAC. That statement isn't my opinion, it came directly from one of their coaches.

I just stated he didn't bring in the level of talent on defense that the other coaching staff did, that or else he was the worst developer of talent ever, but the players he brought in were so bad that the defense was terrible and the team last year played 4 walk-ons on defense because he left the cupboard so bare there for talent. Please note I said talent level as well, I evaluate performance on the field and not stars and the guys he brought in did not compete at the level of the previous staffs players regardless of the number of stars.

I think the thing that everyone's forgetting is that he was the DC at Nebraska. He sucked there. He now holds the equivalent position here. Therefore, there can be no other outcome than him being even worse here, because, in terms of college football, Nebraska does everything better than Minnesota. Ergo, he immediately became irreparably worse when Nebraska fired him. He would, of course, go back to being good if Nebraska re-hired him, or if Texas made him their DC.

First off, my basic point was that he spent his off year trying to gather information in order, I suspect, to improve as a DC. Thus I am wondering how his off year's research and work has improved or altered his coaching approach and if he has improved.

It seems like a legitimate question, since, as you just pointed out, his "multiple" assessments are on previous work, not on potential change of coaching philosophy and approach that may have happened because of this research.

There, feel free to read the original post more thoroughly!

I didn't mean to attack you and I should have put up my post without quoting yours. I was trying to preempt the (probably) inevitable slide into the same tired arguments by others rather than refute your point and I've edited the other post to reflect that by removing the quote. The point you raise is a really good one. I myself am interested in the same thing because I hope that is how he spent his year off (in addition to regaining his sanity...I'm sure getting death threats takes a toll). The only problem is that there is no way to answer it without playing the games. In the meantime, the discussion will be a rehashed blend of how many *'s did his recruits have, how bad was he against spread teams, etc which is pointless since all that matters is how he does while with us.

I think the thing that everyone's forgetting is that he was the DC at Nebraska. He sucked there. He now holds the equivalent position here. Therefore, there can be no other outcome than him being even worse here, because, in terms of college football, Nebraska does everything better than Minnesota. Ergo, he immediately became irreparably worse when Nebraska fired him. He would, of course, go back to being good if Nebraska re-hired him, or if Texas made him their DC.

It doesn't bode well when a coach goes into a school that had the facilities, fan support, as well as a national reputation with recruits and still put out the worst defense in the history of the school. In addition, he walked into a team that was very talented on defense and he was not able to maintain that or build on it. Here the job is even tougher I believe because it is more of a building job and he does not have the talent level he had there initially nor the resources at his disposal. More resources and talent tend to make a job easier but if you think he can buck the trend and win more with less than more power to you.

He had "1" bad year at Nebraska, people are forgetting that..."1".......

It doesn't bode well when a coach goes into a school that had the facilities, fan support, as well as a national reputation with recruits and still put out the worst defense in the history of the school. In addition, he walked into a team that was very talented on defense and he was not able to maintain that or build on it. Here the job is even tougher I believe because it is more of a building job and he does not have the talent level he had there initially nor the resources at his disposal. More resources and talent tend to make a job easier but if you think he can buck the trend and win more with less than more power to you.

The funny thing is, I obviously posted mine to show how much of a Nebraska ballwasher you are.

The funnier thing is, you actually believe the egregiously exaggerated tripe that I typed to be true!

If he couldn't succeed at Nebraska, there's no way he can succeed at Minnesota!!:clap::clap:

By the way, I think he sucks and will likely fail here, though I hope he does succeed because *I* am a fan of Minnesota. I can hold this opinion even without having to undrape Tom Osborne's scrotum from across my nose so I can see the keyboard.

I didn't mean to attack you and I should have put up my post without quoting yours. I was trying to preempt the (probably) inevitable slide into the same tired arguments by others rather than refute your point and I've edited the other post to reflect that by removing the quote. The point you raise is a really good one. I myself am interested in the same thing because I hope that is how he spent his year off (in addition to regaining his sanity...I'm sure getting death threats takes a toll). The only problem is that there is no way to answer it without playing the games. In the meantime, the discussion will be a rehashed blend of how many *'s did his recruits have, how bad was he against spread teams, etc which is pointless since all that matters is how he does while with us.

Fair enough...my apologies!

The funny thing is, I obviously posted mine to show how much of a Nebraska ballwasher you are.

The funnier thing is, you actually believe the egregiously exaggerated tripe that I typed to be true!

If he couldn't succeed at Nebraska, there's no way he can succeed at Minnesota!!:clap::clap:

By the way, I think he sucks and will likely fail here, though I hope he does succeed because *I* am a fan of Minnesota. I can hold this opinion even without having to undrape Tom Osborne's scrotum from across my nose so I can see the keyboard.

Sorry if my respect for a coach who competed at the highest levels for a long time and who contributed just as much to his community off the field bothers you. I guess we are not aloud to respect other coaches who won the right way if they didn't coach at Minnesota. I guess I better never say anything positive about John Wooden either so as not to upset Barbie doll. Also, please note that I never said he could not succeed here, just said that it doesn't bode well when you have more of a uphill battle here than what he walked into there in 2005. Am I am fan of Nebraska as well as Minnesota, sure. How could I not be, I grew up there with season tickets as a kid, had several friends and teammates who played there, and was able to witness how fun it is to be around a winning program and attending the big games with national implications. My goal is for the same thing to happen at Minnesota so I and other fans may experience this same level of excitement, success, and fan support. We may disagree on who is most capable of taking Minnesota to those levels of success but that is what is great about this message board. Do I think Minnesota would benefit from following some of the things that have worked at other successful programs, yes.

I will say I enjoy how you like to present yourself as more intelligent than everyone else on the board by using your word of the day calendar entries in your posts, only to switch a few sentences later into 4th grade equivalent name calling. You have definitely showed that a large vocabulary does not equate to class.

The problem people had with his defenses was that they were almost Prevent style defenses. Teams would go up and down the field in the between the 20's, but would stiffen inside the red zone. His biggest problem to date has been trying to solve spread teams.

GopherGod--What if I told you that I had a friend that coached with him and was actually impressed by him. The quote I gave earlier (about the MIAC quality safety) came directly from my friends mouth and he was there when Callahan was there, left to coach elsewhere, and then came back under Pelini. He was a lot more impressed with Cosgrove than he was with Callahan.

I don't doubt that as I have heard that Callahan had a hard time transitioning and relating to the college game due to his complex offense. Just because he was more impressive than Callahan doesn't mean to me however that he should be the guy here. As unremarkable as Callahan may be the offensive side of the ball was not the problem there so Cosgrove cannot say that the failures of the offense put undo pressure on his defenses there. So therefore, Cosgrove either couldn't recruit high level talent, was a poor evaluator of talent, and or couldn't develop players. His best defenses there were with players recruited by the previous staff and after he left the new staff as you mentioned was left with so little talent last year that they were using multiple walk-ons and still in year 1 were able to begin to right the ship that he sank. I am just thankful he is not the solo d-coordinator.

Cosgrove better figure out the spread and quick as we are facing some top notch examples.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-IggFUVO4UA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-IggFUVO4UA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We will need Cosgrove's A game this year that is for sure. Cal is going to come in here running 4 wide and with Brock gone the arsenal is thin for Kevin. Watching the above Heisman-hopeful highlights it is hard to see Collado not getting completely scorched in tackling efforts, or an still undersized Carter pressed into action only to be dragged or tossed out of the way like the MSU defender who gets similarly owned in that clip.

Hopefully he has this happen to him and we don't pad Best's resume too bad
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCO0sRPJEZ8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCO0sRPJEZ8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

he got run out of madison...
this is a favor hire from one old friend to another. as it was w/ callahan.
i hope the experiment/kindness works.
Alvarez could have named cossy successor - he didnt.
good recruiter in mizzou. bad tactical dc.

yep, someone did an old madison boy a favor. he succeeds here and he'll shuffle off to Madison with a comment about dream job.

Seriously, how long can the 273rd iteration of this discussion go on?

Calimnfan, you're curious about how his year off will affect his abilities, GG, you're skeptical about said abilities. Both of these are terrific and well-justified positions. Must we, though, re-hash the old cronyism arguments from nine months ago all over again?

***SO WE'RE GONNA JUST ACT LIKE HE DIDN'T ONLY HAVE "1" BAD YEAR AT NEBRASKA?!?!?!?!***

***SO WE'RE GONNA JUST ACT LIKE HE DIDN'T ONLY HAVE "1" BAD YEAR AT NEBRASKA?!?!?!?!***

I think you could overlook it if it was just a down year but when it is the worst defense by a long shot in the entire history of a school that has been playing football for a long time it is kind of hard to.

Top Bottom