Craig Bohl Retiring

My point is that NIL makes it much, much more doable to pick a school and make it awesome.

What would happen if Mark Cuban decided to drop $50M/year on Indiana football tomorrow?

In the pre-NIL era they would get some nice facilities and a new stadium name but probably would still struggle to out-recruit the blue bloods.

In the NIL era they are likely winning the Big Ten Championship in the next 3-5 years.

Championships have been bought before. Some college football team just needs a Wayne Huizenga type willing to burn millions of dollars.

Only one state recently didnt have commercial air service and it isn’t Wyoming. Delaware didn’t have it from Mid-2022 until sometime in 2023. Can’t remember the particulars.
Wyoming, Delaware...perhaps paying corporate taxes would bring some commercial air service...

You would think every state’s capital would have at least regional air service.

Cheyenne has an airport serviced by United. I just checked and ticket prices are pretty reasonable from MSP.

Laramie has always had some commercial and/or regional air service. To my knowledge it's more a matter of size of aircraft the airport could accommodate. That's how I remember it, but could be wrong. There are many locations in WY that service commercial airlines.

Pretty sure he didn’t come too close to seven figures out of the gate at WYO.
He wasn’t great but he took over a dumpster fire in Laramie and brought them back to respectability.

He went from 200K to 300k it looks like, I thought it was a bigger jump, but he did get some raises

But he did have some bonuses in there ontop of 300K that elevated even more, although NDSU probably had bonuses.

50% raise isn't peanuts

100000%

He made a mistake taking the Wyoming job
Mistake? Why? Maybe he liked the area, the school and other things that we do not know about. He made plenty of money and was happy.

Mistake? Why? Maybe he liked the area, the school and other things that we do not know about. He made plenty of money and was happy.

I meant in terms of getting a P5 job or an easier place to win. You took my post out of context.

Only one state recently didnt have commercial air service and it isn’t Wyoming. Delaware didn’t have it from Mid-2022 until sometime in 2023. Can’t remember the particulars.
Wilmington, the largest city in Delaware, is only 32 miles from Philadelphia, and it's a tiny state.

It's definitely up there on the list of the hardest, although I've never understood the reasoning.
Laramie is small, remote, cold and there is the elevation to deal with.
Wyoming is a beautiful place, but I can see why a college kid may not want to go there.

Laramie is small, remote, cold and there is the elevation to deal with.
Wyoming is a beautiful place, but I can see why a college kid may not want to go there.
Proud grad here. Loved it for all of those reasons, except the winter weather fright is overblown.

Wilmington, the largest city in Delaware, is only 32 miles from Philadelphia, and it's a tiny state.

Right. Delaware only has 3 counties. But still had no commercial air service. Funny trivia like I said.

Was Bohl still at NDSU when we hired Jerry Kill?

Can’t recall if we’d considered him or not.

Yes and I don’t think Maturi ever interviewed him?

I would not be surprised if he would have taken it, had he been offered. But going FCS straight to BCS (at that time) I think was very rare if at all. Well maybe Chip Kelly went New Hampshire to Oregon? But pretty rare

He went from 200K to 300k it looks like, I thought it was a bigger jump, but he did get some raises

But he did have some bonuses in there ontop of 300K that elevated even more, although NDSU probably had bonuses.

50% raise isn't peanuts
I was wrong. I was thinking he bumped up to 7 figures when he was hired. He's retiring at seven figures. I think some of the rub on him from the home crowd was that he was the highest paid MWC coach but results weren't commensurate with his pay.

I'd work in Laramie for a million bucks. Sheridan, Casper, Cody. Hell, even Gillette. Wyoming is an awesome state.

I don't know about bazillionaire, but current field naming rights come from the industry you're speaking of and that isn't pennies. Wyoming is supported pretty well, being the only D1 school in the state and they travel well when things are good. I can't imagine they'd be the school to meet your scenario, though (although I'd be happy).
Wyoming directs significant state mineral royalties to public schools. My recollection is that the University benefits from that as well but I don't know that for a fact. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a better than expected NIL pool at Wyoming. But then again, I imagine most of the mineral wealth has been centralized and a lot of wealthy Wyoming residents are transplants.

Wyoming directs significant state mineral royalties to public schools. My recollection is that the University benefits from that as well but I don't know that for a fact. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a better than expected NIL pool at Wyoming. But then again, I imagine most of the mineral wealth has been centralized and a lot of wealthy Wyoming residents are transplants.
Plus, they literally have one university in the whole state. Compare that with North Dakota, another rural, low population state, which has six four-year public schools, several two year public schools, and I think two private four-year universities.

While I think they do now, Wyoming had no commercial air service for a while, period. And there came to be a rule that you were not allowed to fly recruits in on private planes. So you had to fly them into Denver and drive them up however many hours that is, passing CU and CSU on the way.

Probably not that bad now, but that’s tough.
Circa around the year Bohl was hired my Jeep broke down in middle of Wyoming. I flew commercial from MSP to DEN. Then from there a 12 seat twin prop plane to Laramie when 3/4 ppl disembarked and rest of us flew to Worland of all places. Told was because of the oil.

I played in Laramie back in the day they had the TE Novacek he was a senior. Fun game but of all the nice places in Wyoming this isn’t it. Tough to recruit good D1 athletes there I would imagine.

I played in Laramie back in the day they had the TE Novacek he was a senior. Fun game but of all the nice places in Wyoming this isn’t it. Tough to recruit good D1 athletes there I would imagine.
I assume your ride from the Holiday Inn to War Memorial didn’t give you much of a view of Laramie. It’s a pretty nice small town that is minutes from the mountains and about an hour and a half from Denver. Plus, the town is nothing even remotely like it was when Jay Novacek played. It’s a pretty cool college town.

Proud grad here. Loved it for all of those reasons, except the winter weather fright is overblown.
Been to a few football games there, it's a nice place, but I can see where some folks would not like the isolation there.

He did, any Nebby fan will tell you. Something with a cheerleader

Top Bottom