Craig Bohl Retiring

Great coach wish we could have seen him at the P5

He was .500 at Wyoming in 10 years and under .500 in his conference. Not sure he was going to get a P5 offer with that track record.
I was pretty surprised he took the Wyoming job to begin with. I would argue that Laramie is a harder place to recruit than Fargo. I'd have thought he'd have had better offers coming out of NDSU like Kleiman did.

I was pretty surprised he took the Wyoming job to begin with. I would argue that Laramie is a harder place to recruit than Fargo. I'd have thought he'd have had better offers coming out of NDSU like Kleiman did.

100000%

He made a mistake taking the Wyoming job

His age and his track record as a coordinator at Nebraska probably limited his market. He took the first seven figure gig that came along. It might have been the only one.
Pretty sure he didn’t come too close to seven figures out of the gate at WYO.
He wasn’t great but he took over a dumpster fire in Laramie and brought them back to respectability.

Pretty sure he didn’t come too close to seven figures out of the gate at WYO.
He wasn’t great but he took over a dumpster fire in Laramie and brought them back to respectability.
I'd forgotten about his Nebraska tenure being discussed back then.

If I recall, his initial contract at Wyoming wasn't all that much more than he was making at NDSU and that it was heavily incentive driven.

I'd forgotten about his Nebraska tenure being discussed back then.

If I recall, his initial contract at Wyoming wasn't all that much more than he was making at NDSU and that it was heavily incentive driven.
Correct, and he was a huge get for WYO after the flops they threw out there before him. For some reason, his teams can't win on the road while doing very well at home. Definitely a small part of the reason teams won't come to Laramie to play, location and elevation being others.

Ok. I disagree. He took the job and was average over 10 years. Doesnt surprise me he didn’t jump to a P5 job.
I think that had more to do with his age than anything else.

Agree to disagree, as would most Wyoming fans

Beat Brew in 07, Kill in 11, and should’ve beaten Mason in 06. Will be quite some time if ever that the U voluntarily agrees to play them in the regular season. Could see them meeting up in a bowl game in the medium term future perhaps.

While I think they do now, Wyoming had no commercial air service for a while, period. And there came to be a rule that you were not allowed to fly recruits in on private planes. So you had to fly them into Denver and drive them up however many hours that is, passing CU and CSU on the way.

Probably not that bad now, but that’s tough.

Beat Brew in 07, Kill in 11, and should’ve beaten Mason in 06. Will be quite some time if ever that the U voluntarily agrees to play them in the regular season. Could see them meeting up in a bowl game in the medium term future perhaps.
UM vs. UW has only occurred once. NDSU Bohl does not equal UW Bohl. Case study in how styles do not always mesh when moving from what is now FCS to FBS.

I was talking about Bohl at NDSU, obviously. And obviously that has nothing to do with him at Wyo.

Perfectly valid to talk about his entire career in this thread and many are.

While I think they do now, Wyoming had no commercial air service for a while, period. And there came to be a rule that you were not allowed to fly recruits in on private planes. So you had to fly them into Denver and drive them up however many hours that is, passing CU and CSU on the way.

It is a hard place to get to, without a doubt.

Wyoming would be a great case study if it had some fossil fuel bazillionaire who was dead set on making the school a football powerhouse

How many 4 and 5 stars would head to Laramie, WY to secure their bag?

(this will happen sooner or later, a rando G5 school with massive private financial backing tries to crush everyone)

Wyoming would be a great case study if it had some fossil fuel bazillionaire who was dead set on making the school a football powerhouse

(this will happen sooner or later, a rando G5 school with massive private financial backing tries to crush everyone)
I don't know about bazillionaire, but current field naming rights come from the industry you're speaking of and that isn't pennies. Wyoming is supported pretty well, being the only D1 school in the state and they travel well when things are good. I can't imagine they'd be the school to meet your scenario, though (although I'd be happy).

It's doable, or at least it used to be pre NIL. Boise St. was very good for a while. Same with TCU before entering the Big 12.

Wyoming has a state law where the state matches whatever funding comes into the athletic dept.

So they automatically get double.

It's doable, or at least it used to be pre NIL. Boise St. was very good for a while. Same with TCU before entering the Big 12.
My point is that NIL makes it much, much more doable to pick a school and make it awesome.

What would happen if Mark Cuban decided to drop $50M/year on Indiana football tomorrow?

In the pre-NIL era they would get some nice facilities and a new stadium name but probably would still struggle to out-recruit the blue bloods.

In the NIL era they are likely winning the Big Ten Championship in the next 3-5 years.

I mean it’s not that far off from what Colorado tried/is trying to do, right?

Only one state recently didnt have commercial air service and it isn’t Wyoming. Delaware didn’t have it from Mid-2022 until sometime in 2023. Can’t remember the particulars.

I mean it’s not that far off from what Colorado tried/is trying to do, right?
Similar, though most of us were alive when Colorado won their last national championship. (My high school principal was on the crew that effed up the famous 5th down)

Colorado seems to have a hype train but not a money train. That's why a lot of football people who aren't in the media expect it to crash

I wonder what happens when a pure money train rolls through Wyoming or Central Michigan, or Troy, etc.

Top Bottom