Coyle to be Extended to 2030

people claim that Coyle is a good administrator - good at the 'behind-the-scenes' type of stuff.

If accurate, that is fine.

But I still believe that the AD should play more of a role as the public face of the entire sports program. Yeah, Fleck is very visible, but he just speaks for Football. the AD is supposed to speak for the entire department. But Coyle is just not a good communicator. for the most part, he keeps his media appearances to controlled settings with people who won't be shooting tough questions at him.

I guess that's worth $1.4-Million.

IIRC how it reportedly went down the team decided to boycott after Coyle spoke to them, or in spite of it. It required third party intermediates to calm the waters, offer assurances to the players, negotiate a truce with the hounds at the school. My first clue something was rotten in the state of Denmark. I’d guess there are hundreds or thousands of qualified administrators with requisite experience.

The one is 22% more than the other. That's lopsided. Not a 3-7% difference. 22%.
That’s a little disingenuous, don’t you think?

50/50 is perfectly even …. and they’re all the way to …. 45/55. +\- 5%

(Yes I understand that you divided 55/45 = 1.222..)

Coyle's hand is then forced to allocate the scholarships according to the students.
I guarantee that the allocation of total scholarship equivalencies in the athletic department is not 45/55.

Jerry Kill was great @ fundraising and building relationships. He could help Minnesota in those two areas. Some people need to get past their hatred for the good of Gopher football. Put Gopher football ahead of yourself. You know who you are.

Given a team mutiny in no small part based on a lack of leadership chops, effective communication difficulties, fundraising difficulties, hiring and firing difficulties 1.4M is a staggering number.

Does he have much better options, as a flight risk? Serious question. I’d distribute most of those funds earned via football media rights to the key coaches, recruiters or other department scholarships, facilities, employees.

Jerry Kill was great @ fundraising and building relationships. He could help Minnesota in those two areas. Some people need to get past their hatred for the good of Gopher football. Put Gopher football ahead of yourself. You know who you are.
Glen Mason was very good at fund raising for a new football on campus stadium. He could be of help in my opinion.

So this is saying The University of Minnesota wants him & AD Coyle wants to be here. Seems like a good fit, like a size 12 foot and a size 12 shoe. He just needs to find one or more Fundraising-Relationship Building Sidekicks. Money wins Championships. "Success has many Fathers Failure is an Orphan."

Just so we're clear:

here you're blaming Coyle for what went down prior to the 2016 Holiday Bowl??

Why not Kaler??

In that era if they made waves on controversial policy they’d be at some risk of losing their job or their next job and that is really always priority number 1, Number 1. I’d like to think we‘re evolving to be a little smarter and fairer now, in recent days.

But sure, neither has any responsibility for anything that happened. The players, of course, mutinied because of something Claeys or Sawvel did; their blatantly one-sided, unfair treatment of the players. We all remember that.

In that era if they made waves on controversial policy they’d be at some risk of losing their job or their next job and that is really always priority number 1, Number 1. I’d like to think we‘re evolving to be a little smarter and fairer now, in recent days.

But sure, neither has any responsibility for anything that happened. The players, of course, mutinied because of something Claeys or Sawvel did; their blatantly one-sided, unfair treatment of the players. We all remember that.
lol

Just the way people remember what happened at the end of the claeys era makes me laugh. Feel free to think what you think

“The way”? My memory is still pretty good. Feel free to make some counterpoints.

I have no counterpoints to your own reality

OK…

I don’t believe I’m the only one that came away from that sorry episode with a diminished view of Coyle. As always, opinions on someone’s character and competence will depend on your POV, loyalties, and preexisting biases and prejudices.

OK…

I don’t believe I’m the only one that came away from that sorry episode with a diminished view of Coyle. As always, opinions on someone’s character and competence will depend on your POV, loyalties, and preexisting biases and prejudices.
No, you aren’t the only one with that opinion. You do make me laugh though. And I do judge your character based on it.

No, I can’t. I can tell you disagree, but you haven’t explained why.

So…go ahead?
I have no rebuttals to your own personal reality about what went down. You think what you want to think. I’ve already said this.

I am surprised that they gave Coyle this extension with a new president to be named in the not to distant future. Thought they would leave this decision up to the new president, keep him or bring in their own person.

I am surprised that they gave Coyle this extension with a new president to be named in the not to distant future. Thought they would leave this decision up to the new president, keep him or bring in their own person.
Maybe. But frankly, some of the accusations of people on this board is that the BOR doesn’t prioritize sports. Like or hate Coyle, the new president not picking the AD would possibly be evidence that there is truth when people claim the BOR doesn’t prioritize sports

Yea, this is interesting. On the one hand it looks like a golden parachute decision right before someone else may not agree with it.

On the other hand, it spares the new president from having to make this decision sooner. There's other stuff to worry about first.

Extending contracts seems to be the norm as long as you are not bad. Do ok, out comes the extension.

I could be wrong but this university has a slight bias to maintain the status quo, which I see the value of. Every time you make a change you're uprooting someone's family, where is my next job, what about my mortgage. Sports by nature is competitive and that's how it goes, but a bias to maintain your labor assets is maybe a smart way to be. I mean, I wouldn't like working for an employer knows for chainsaw layoffs at first signs of underperforming.

So this is saying The University of Minnesota wants him & AD Coyle wants to be here. Seems like a good fit, like a size 12 foot and a size 12 shoe. He just needs to find one or more Fundraising-Relationship Building Sidekicks. Money wins Championships. "Success has many Fathers Failure is an Orphan."
The Athletic Dept has hired a fund raiser for NIL, M Club affairs etc. I don't recall her name but she is a former U athlete. How will that turn out?

The Athletic Dept has hired a fund raiser for NIL, M Club affairs etc. I don't recall her name but she is a former U athlete. How will that turn out?
If a Fundraiser is not well known by getting their face, voice & message to the public then how will there be success? Fund raising unlike mushrooms do not thrive in darkness.

I'm a supporter as well. However, I believe my email to fire Claeys was the final straw in his decision. I do feel like he is the first AD we've had that isn't a puppet to the administration and is allowed to support the athletes and coaches. I feel he does a great job of that. Now he's looking to take on a potential new basketball arena and seek funding if that is the direction. Chances of doing worse with someone else is higher than doing better, IMO.
One thing I've admired about Coyle is that he seems to have a plan for most all situations that occur within the Athletics department. We may not always like the plans, but he seems to be proactive. His marketing background also helps.

After Teague, It's really hard not to at minimum be okay with Coyle.

Unfortunately Jerry is equally if not more skilled at destroying relationships. But hey if he wanted to come back in some sort of fundraising role that both sides could make work, I'm not against that at all. Plenty of people still love Jerry around here.

I have a better chance of being Taylor Swift's next boyfriend than this happening.

Her name is Kiara Buford. I don't believe she was hired to be a "fundraiser", however.

Her name is Kiara Buford. I don't believe she was hired to be a "fundraiser", however.
Former basketball player will be responsible for directing the day-to-day activities of the M Club
Gopher Athletics announced today the hiring of Kiara Buford as Director of Alumni Relations / NIL.

Buford, who is a former Minnesota basketball student-athlete, will be responsible for directing the day-to-day activities of the M Club, which is the Athletic Department Letterwinner's organization. In addition, Buford will work closely with Minnesota student-athletes and assist them in growing and enhancing their personal brand, which has become increasingly important due to the growth of Name, Image and Likeness activities in collegiate athletics.

"It is a tremendous honor to join Gopher Athletics," said Buford. "This is a transformational time in college athletics. I look forward to helping our current student-athletes in their daily mission, while also still connecting with all our alums who have proudly worn the Maroon and Gold. I have such fond memories of my time as a Gopher, and I cannot wait to get started."

Buford, a native of St. Paul, Minnesota, returns to the University where she was a four-year letterwinner as a member of the women's basketball team from 2008-2012. During her standout Gopher career, she started 95 games and led the team in scoring during the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons.

After earning a spot on the Big Ten All-Freshman Team in 2009, Buford followed up with three consecutive selections on the All-Big Ten and Academic All-Big Ten teams in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Buford was named the team MVP in 2011 and repeated the honor in 2012 when she shared the award with freshman Rachel Banham.

After earning a degree in communications from Minnesota, Buford played professionally for Matizol Lider Pruszkow in Poland before returning to the United States to begin a career in coaching and serving as a high school administrator. Since 2014 Buford has worked in the Robbinsdale and Roseville Area schools in a variety of roles.

Buford takes the role of M Club oversight from former director Quincy Lewis who currently serves as the Director of Alumni Relations for the Utah Jazz. She is the first female letterwinner to lead the M Club since its incorporation into the Athletic Department.

"As we worked through the interview process it became clear that Kiara was the perfect candidate to lead the M Club now and into the future," said Sr. Associate Director of Athletics Jeremiah Carter, who has oversight of the M Club. "Her passion for the University of Minnesota and desire to create opportunities for all our letterwinners to engage with athletics is exciting and we look forward to her leading the M Club."

Buford started in her new role on November, 13, 2023.

Top Bottom