Coyle to be Extended to 2030

Interesting that our AD’s salary is in the top third of the conference while most of our coaches’ salaries are in the bottom half.
Most of our coaches? Or are you just talking men’s basketball and football + football assistants

people claim that Coyle is a good administrator - good at the 'behind-the-scenes' type of stuff.

If accurate, that is fine.

But I still believe that the AD should play more of a role as the public face of the entire sports program. Yeah, Fleck is very visible, but he just speaks for Football. the AD is supposed to speak for the entire department. But Coyle is just not a good communicator. for the most part, he keeps his media appearances to controlled settings with people who won't be shooting tough questions at him.

I guess that's worth $1.4-Million.

He’s raised 0 dollars for the athletes village?
If he’s raised 0 dollars for the athletes village, what does that tell you about what he has been assigned to do by his superiors?
Pretty much every college athletic director job description includes fundraising. Is Coyle the only one that has had that removed from his plate? If so, maybe he doesn't need to be in the top 1/3 of big ten salaries?

I'm a bigger Coyle supporter than most. To me he feels like the first AD we've had in a while who really wants to win and win big.

Pros:
PJ Hire
Motzko Hire

Cons:
Not a great fundraiser/not a very charismatic guy - best kept away from the microphone.

I am of the belief that he was more or less forced to hire Ben Johnson. If it really was his choice, put that in the cons column for now.
I would also add the volleyball coach hire is not looking great, but I will give it a couple more years to decide.

Pretty much every college athletic director job description includes fundraising. Is Coyle the only one that has had that removed from his plate? If so, maybe he doesn't need to be in the top 1/3 of big ten salaries?
If he has actually raised 0 dollars for that project as you claim, and the people in charge just extended him…why does that tell you about his boss’ expectations for him on that project?

You don’t honestly think he hasn’t fundraised any money do you?

If he has actually raised 0 dollars for that project as you claim, and the people in charge just extended him…why does that tell you about his boss’ expectations for him on that project?

You don’t honestly think he hasn’t fundraised any money do you?
I think (and what I've seen published) he has raised zero or close to zero outside of cashing tv contracts. Do you have info to the contrary?

I think (and what I've seen published) he has raised zero or close to zero outside of cashing tv contracts. Do you have info to the contrary?
I’m not making a claim, you are.
I have no idea how much money he has raised

But I’m guessing if the number is zero, as you claim, and the bosses gave him a new contract and a raise…that must not be very high on his list of tasks.

I see you disagree

I’ll just take your word for it that there have been zero dollars or close to zero dollars raised by Coyle 😂
Pretty bad contract extension then

Here is an article stating about 80 million

I assume it’s still at 80?

Years later, it’s in the 120 million neighborhood

Here is an article implying it’s at about 135 million

I assume if it’s really zero something somewhere will say zero?
Couldn’t find anything myself.
These I found just from searching gopher hole

Last edited:

The last time i saw that claim it was a claim by a reporter bitching that they didn’t know… of what if any money he raised. They didn’t say if they bothers to ask or find out.

I know I donated many times. So during a number of ADs times they for sure raised more than 0…..

I’m aware of several campaigns that have raised money.

I was referring to the lack of movement on the village in the last few years. Everything I've read says it's been at about $40 million and stuck there (or close to there) for at least a few years. Initial fundraising was good, but a lot of that was secured before Coyle was hired.

Coyle does run a clean program and I will give him props for hiring PJ (although was not a fan of how he handled firing Claeys). He's had some bad hires though (Whalen, Ben, possibly volleyball guy). Motzko was a no-brainer (anyone involved in hockey would have chosen Motzko and he was interested). I would also prefer an AD that can promote the athletics programs. Coyle is rarely on TV or radio promoting things, and when he tries he's not a great speaker.

I just don't think his resume screams top 1/3 of the big ten. I'll leave it at that. Clearly some of you love him, and to each their own.

I was referring to the lack of movement on the village in the last few years. Everything I've read says it's been at about $40 million and stuck there (or close to there) for at least a few years. Initial fundraising was good, but a lot of that was secured before Coyle was hired.

Coyle does run a clean program and I will give him props for hiring PJ (although was not a fan of how he handled firing Claeys). He's had some bad hires though (Whalen, Ben, possibly volleyball guy). Motzko was a no-brainer (anyone involved in hockey would have chosen Motzko and he was interested). I would also prefer an AD that can promote the athletics programs. Coyle is rarely on TV or radio promoting things, and when he tries he's not a great speaker.

I just don't think his resume screams top 1/3 of the big ten. I'll leave it at that. Clearly some of you love him, and to each their own.
Everything you’ve read says stick on 40 million, yet you can’t produce a single article that says stuck on 40 million

An "enhanced longevity bonus"? So he's rewarded for just staying around? What kind of incentive is that? Tie some of his comp to hitting certain fundraising benchmarks or attendance metrics...you know, things that are linked to department revenue.

Coyle Report Card:

Football = B+
Volleyball = undecided
W Basketball = C - right idea, just didn't come to fruition
M Basketball = D- should have learned from W-side, but didn;t
Hockey = A
Wrestling = C
Baseball = F - I get Anderson is a legend, but we needed leadership to push him out a few years ago.

He is consistent, in that he believes hiring people who love Minnesota. I just wish he would do what he did with Fleck, by hiring someone who wants to build something and sees the potential. I do think he is passionate about building winners here, but needs to improve.

well, on the website for the Golden Gopher Fund, under Athletes Village - there is a box that says

Goal: $166million

Raised: $136million

assuming that is up-to-date, then the current shortfall is $30-million.

everybody hit the couch cushions and look for some loose change. (I tried that the last time I was cleaning and all I found was a bic pen)

well, on the website for the Golden Gopher Fund, under Athletes Village - there is a box that says

everybody hit the couch cushions and look for some loose change. (I tried that the last time I was cleaning and all I found was a bic pen)
No, a guy in this thread says zero dollars have been raised since Coyle was hired, so it’s still at 80 million

I don’t understand most of your posts in this thread. They are strange.

But I’ll ask: What would be the measuring stick for good at fundraising at the U?

Fundraising is a strange topic, AD's who I've seen declared to be "good at fundraising" are from places that already raise a ton of funds. We even hired an AD who was supposedly great at fundraising once ... didn't work out.
Other people went to work fundraising and raised $105 million in 2015 and 2016 prior to Coyle arriving.
Coyle has now been here the full years of 2017,18,19,20,21,22,23 and we are now into 2024.
That is 7 (seven) full years and Coyle has raised $31 million dollars or an average of $4 plus million per year. The people in 2015 and half of 2016 got to $105 million. That's almost $6 million per MONTH or more than $50 million per year.
That would be my measuring stick.

The Whalen hire was a grand slam her first season. She was a superstar and delivered that high-profile presence. Unfortunately, the program came undone, and she didn't have coaching experience to lead it a different way. The new coach is really good, like really good.

Motzko turned the Gophers hockey program around, earning him tremendous respect in the hockey community. Then he made questionable decisions during the upset loss to Quinipiac in the championship game.

Based on championships, the Coyle era is a flop. But there's a lot more to it. I think everyone would agree that the athletic department seems extremely well run. The video, image, and professionalism is tops. This is a huge university with a lot going on. It's a big job.

Volleyball faced a NIL wave, the last coach to me bailed at the the peak, and then their best player's ability disappeared. I see volleyball's struggles as partly structural. The Penn States and Nebraskas of sports have a NIL operations advantage. And Wisconsin. And...

Women's hockey last season had a pro-caliber team but were upset in the Frozen Four against the eventual champion. They have a phenom player coming in two seasons, a huge get. At some point they need to win another championship. It's like men's hockey, a strong program for the university but where's the trophy.

Gymnastics seems to be better than par.

We are observing wrestling that faces teams with big NIL advantages. So far wrestling has stabilized this season. Sadly, NIL is a real threat to take out that program. So far they are holding.

Men's basketball is complicated. The program hit rock bottom. You can say that Johnson's coaching doesn't look very good during game, or you can say his guys are coming along and check back next season -- a painful journey that is paying off.

I'm not an activist and don't want to be dragged into the issue of affirmative action either way. I will say it would bother me if nearly every single head coach was white. I mean, come on. It's like we're color blind and we're against bigotry, but gosh they're almost all white, how did that happen. Therefore I have to say I like Ben Johnson a lot personally and maybe people should stick it out one more season. His guys ARE coming along.

Minnesota has a lopsided female enrollment. The scholarships mirror that. The scholarships are for the students, not fans. Kids about to graduate high school and then going to school to play sports are what those are for, and no you shouldn't have to be a boy to play sports. Yes, the scholarships are for the kids. I know some people didn't like men's gymnastics getting cut. I say, who cares. The sports first are for the kids to play.

The football program is a big success. As long as they stay in the middle of the pack, it will be the gravy train. They're not a national championship team, and that's fine. As long as they compete respectably without any of the scandals of past decades, it's a win.

Minnesota structurally has been at a disadvantage with NIL. It's a major problem. I see lots of attention with Dinkytown Athletics, so progress maybe has been made.

Has Coyle been successful depends on what criteria you want to use.

That's how large business and sports work. Hell that is how politics and the world works for good or bad.
There’s no reason for the U to have so many sports as varsity.

Club sports are a good thing, too. Those kids practice often almost as much as varsity, pay for coaches, travel, the whole bit.

Volleyball = undecided
Agree.

Last season was bad, and largely had to do with forcing two particular players to play defense when they had no business being back there.

Something about KCook rubs me the wrong way.

But certainly deserves more time to see if his way of doing things succeeds.

There is literally no person alive who is sitting there saying

“Ya know, I’m ready to donate $10M to the U for athletics right now ….. but I just don’t like Mark Coyle. Not a fan of his. So I’m going to withhold that donation.”

What planet is that??

No. It means that donation isn’t out there to be had.

Coyle can’t squeeze blood from a turnip.

Minnesota has a lopsided female enrollment.
Undergrads around 45/55.

Is that lopsided? I guess technically but it depends what point your were trying to make?

Not even 40/60.

Undergrads around 45/55.

Is that lopsided? I guess technically but it depends what point your were trying to make?

Not even 40/60.

The one is 22% more than the other. That's lopsided. Not a 3-7% difference. 22%.

If one of your hands has 22% more fingers than the other, they are not even. It's just a fact.

Perhaps the term "lopsided" can have a loaded meaning. I'm not using it that way. If someone 150 pounds gains 33 pounds, which is 22% more...

Coyle's hand is then forced to allocate the scholarships according to the students. This is actually a non-issue when you look at it as simply aligning scholarships with students mathematically, and more female students requires more female scholarship. It's not at all political, it's math.

Maybe it's just ignorance on my part not knowing how all the revenue junk works, but it's very frustrating constantly hearing how there's no money in the athletic department while simultaneously cashing massive checks from TV deals.
Haven't heard that except from cheap-ass Gopherholers.

Top Bottom