Colorado St RB Treyous Jarrells quits over medical marijuana

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Coloradan:

If college athletes want to smoke marijuana, the NCAA probably won’t catch them.

Treyous Jarrells is proof.

The running back signed with CSU because of Colorado’s legalization of marijuana for recreational and medicinal purposes, and he was high in all but one game he played in across two seasons.

Jarrells, 23, left the Colorado State University football team early in the 2015 season due to concerns he’d fail a drug test and risk losing his financial aid.

Medical marijuana is legal in 25 states, and Jarrells has one of 102,620 medical licenses to legally grow the drug in Colorado.

But Jarrells’ use of marijuana, which he smokes to relieve chronic pain caused by playing football for 16 years, conflicts with NCAA and CSU’s list of banned substances. It’s a thorny issue that’s further complicated by the fact that the rampant use of university-administered opiates can have severe side effects. Jarrells says cannabinoids treat his pain in a safer way.

“I practiced under the influence. I played games under the influence. This is my medicine,” Jarrells said. “I’ve seen players at CSU pop five, 10 ibuprofens before practice. Daily. You think that’s good? Over the course of two, three years, that’s eating your liver away."

“I am not ashamed of what I did.”

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...-football-ncaa-marijuana-csu-report/89987592/

Go Gophers!!

"which he smokes to relieve chronic pain caused by playing football for 16 years"

I duno. If you're in that much pain because of football, maybe more football is a bad idea.

I'm not fond of the rule but worry about that guy's health too.

I have heard that the painkilling abilities of marijuana (specifically the compound called chc I think) is good. Plus avoiding opiates should be a goal for everyone.

Smoking it is just plain stupid. Really not that effective anyway according to most health professionals.

just to note - thc is the active ingredient in marijuana.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, dronabinol by INN), or more precisely its main isomer (−)-trans-Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol, is the principal psychoactive constituent (or cannabinoid) of cannabis.

I have heard that the painkilling abilities of marijuana (specifically the compound called chc I think) is good. Plus avoiding opiates should be a goal for everyone.

Have a relative with degenerative discs in his back. A few years ago his Doctor had to take him off painkillers. After 20 years plus of use, they were destroying his liver. His doctor advised him to use marijuana instead. He's still using it and now it's legal too.

Have a relative with degenerative discs in his back. A few years ago his Doctor had to take him off painkillers because they were destroying his liver. His doctor advised him to use marijuana instead. He's still using it and now it's legal too.

That's good to hear. I have heard of too many people getting hooked on the opiate versions but they continue to be prescribed aggressively.

Was this player from CSU recently dismissed?

That's good to hear. I have heard of too many people getting hooked on the opiate versions but they continue to be prescribed aggressively.

Was this player from CSU recently dismissed?

Story indicates that he quit.

This will become more of an issue as pot becomes legal (it will - states need money and we all hate income taxes). It's really a great drug if you take the drug dealers out of the equation. Smoking it can potentially cause respiratory issues (way less so than legal cigarettes), but use of the drug is more harmless than countless legal pain/time killers. It will be interesting to see what sort of administration finally makes it legal nation-wide, because it doesn't necessarily follow party lines. You'd think it would be liberals because of the whole 'war on drugs' and all, but many conservative states are starting to reconsider because they simply refuse to raise income taxes, and they are finding they are way short on money (surprise). Personally, I'm torn on the issue...I smoke almost everyday but I'm not sure how I feel on it being completely legal. It probably should be, but it should be strictly regulated - at least as much as alcohol even though its far less dangerous and addictive than booze. I guess I really don't care how it is distributed - I just want the penalties taken away...anybody can buy weed in any state anytime they want. Complete legalization will probably just raise the price.

just to note - thc is the active ingredient in marijuana.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, dronabinol by INN), or more precisely its main isomer (−)-trans-Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol, is the principal psychoactive constituent (or cannabinoid) of cannabis.

CBD in Marijuana can also prevent seizures and other issues. It can be used without being heated unlike THC so you don't need to smoke it and it is not the chemical that gets you high so there is no brain damage. I really don't have any issue at all with people using high CBD, low TCH Marijuana that is consumed in liquid form to prevent seizures.

However, I don't love the idea of doctors prescribing a drug that you may have to smoke as it can be hard on the lungs and I don't love the idea of doctors prescribing a drug that can hamper your cognitive function if your younger. That being said the alternatives may or may not be safer (many times they aren't) so I don't really lean towards a particular side. I do suppose many prescribed medications of all sorts have negative side affects so perhaps it's not much different.

As A_Slab_of_Bacon has already mentioned, if your in enough pain to need medical marijuana, it's time to quit anyway. Medical marijuana can replace opiates, it's not used to replace NSAIDS, as far as ibuprofen, 4 or 5 tablets or 800 to 1000 mg, is a standard prescription dose OK for short periods. He's right in that you need to be under a doctors care, so that you get liver function tests, but it doesn't necessarily mean you destroy your liver.

As A_Slab_of_Bacon has already mentioned, if your in enough pain to need medical marijuana, it's time to quit anyway. Medical marijuana can replace opiates, it's not used to replace NSAIDS, as far as ibuprofen, 4 or 5 tablets or 800 to 1000 mg, is a standard prescription dose OK for short periods. He's right in that you need to be under a doctors care, so that you get liver function tests, but it doesn't necessarily mean you destroy your liver.

No it's not.

Really not that effective anyway according to most health professionals.

Do you think it might be because A) the gov't has severely restricted research on it, and B) health professionals don't want to lose business? You'll ALWAYS need to go to a doctor to get the opiod Rx's, but not so much with mj. Doctors want repeat visits more than they want to cure you and have you move on.

I have the same feelings about cocaine. I hate the affect it has on me, but I LOVE the smell.

I just checked, max dose is 3200 mg a day divided into 3 or 4 doses, for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I know for a fact when I sprained my knee I was on 800 mg. There was another time on active duty when I was taking a pill and a half 3 times a day I thought they were 800 but they could have been 600 mg it's been over 30 years.

I just checked, max dose is 3200 mg a day divided into 3 or 4 doses, for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I know for a fact when I sprained my knee I was on 800 mg. There was another time on active duty when I was taking a pill and a half 3 times a day I thought they were 800 but they could have been 600 mg it's been over 30 years.

Normal analgesic (yes I just wanted to say anal I could have said pain) is 400-600mg/dose. Maximum dose is 3200 mg/day which would be prescribed as 800 mg 4x a day and is VERY RARELY ever prescribed that way. 1000mg/dose I have never seen, not a single time. That's not to say people don't take more than they are suppose to. Just because something is OTC doesn't mean its completely safe, Ibuprofen can actually be a fairly dangerous medication along with its OTC pain rival Acetaminophen. If football players are taking more than they should at a time, that is not good.

I left the lower end of the dosing of for arthritis, which is 2400, which explains the 3 times a day 3x800=2400. At the time I was splitting the pills Ibuprofen was RX only, so given it was the military, they might have been out of stock on the 800 and compromised on 900x3 instead of 800x4. I think the only reason I remember is because it was a pain to split the pills.

Dude's a stoner and just doesn't want to play football anymore. Instead of just admitting he was quitting because growing weed in his basement and staying high 24/7 was what he wanted to do, he concocted this nonsense that makes him a marijuana martyr/advocate. Reminds me of Royce White & his "mental health protocol" nonsense.

Dude's a stoner and just doesn't want to play football anymore. Instead of just admitting he was quitting because growing weed in his basement and staying high 24/7 was what he wanted to do, he concocted this nonsense that makes him a marijuana martyr/advocate. Reminds me of Royce White & his "mental health protocol" nonsense.

I'm in full agreement with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think it might be because A) the gov't has severely restricted research on it, and B) health professionals don't want to lose business? You'll ALWAYS need to go to a doctor to get the opiod Rx's, but not so much with mj. Doctors want repeat visits more than they want to cure you and have you move on.

Great another conspiracy theorist. Smh

Calling him names does not prove he is wrong.

From CBS News:

Advocates argue a growing body of scientific literature supports the idea, pointing to a study in the Journal of Pain this year that found that chronic pain sufferers significantly reduced their opioid use when taking medical cannabis. Another study, published last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association, found cannabis can be effective in treating chronic pain and other ailments.

Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/could-marijuana-help-treat-painkiller-and-heroin-addiction/

Obviously the science is not settled, but it should not be dismissed.

Top Bottom