Colorado players burgled again (or robbed according to their coach)

It's going to be an ongoing problem. When you have college athletes making millions of dollars opportunists will advance. Colleges will need to beef up security massively.

I know it is their right to do so … but why would a bunch of college players wear tens if thousands of dollars in jewelry to an away football game with an insecure locker room? Solution: Colorado football brings a heavy safe to the game; jewelry goes into safe; two cops guard safe. You’re welcome.

Last edited:

I know it is their right to do so … but why would a bunch of college players wear tens if thousands of dollars in jewelry to an away football game with an insecure locker room? Solution: Colorado football brings a heavy safe to the game; jewelry goes into safe; to cops guard safe. You’re welcome.
That is my first thought! It sounds like looking cool trumps common sense with Deion's players.

How does the NFL handle it? Why not just do it like they do. No need to reinvent the wheel.

There's gotta be a way to know who went in and out of that locker room during the game. Would assume it happened in the second half.

Sucks if the players were in fact robbed.

There is another discussion in there about the intelligence of bringing thousands in jewelry to a road game but I am guessing how you look is extremely important within the Colorado locker room that is very focused on flash and image.

Guessing there are cameras at the arena and the locker room area is usually fairly isolated away from the general public so they might be able to identify people going in and out of the locker room that shouldn't have been there.

UCLA is notorious for not spending money on their Athletic Department. Particularly on the football team. The results have shown that. Colorado should have known it and realized the risks on bringing all that jewelry in there.

Of course Deion may have gotten rid of all the Colorado players who were aware of the history.

Deion wants the Rose Bowl to compensate the players for the lost jewelry. Guessing Deion doesn’t discuss common sense topics like insurance with his players?
Or common sense things like you don't need to bring all that jewelry to a stadium lockerroom.

Deion wants the Rose Bowl to compensate the players for the lost jewelry. Guessing Deion doesn’t discuss common sense topics like insurance with his players?
I guess the criminals loved the jewelry more than the players.

Last edited:

I know it is their right to do so … but why would a bunch of college players wear tens if thousands of dollars in jewelry to an away football game with an insecure locker room? Solution: Colorado football brings a heavy safe to the game; jewelry goes into safe; two cops guard safe. You’re welcome.
So if they had left it back in their dorms in Colorado and it got stolen, I assume you'd write something like, "why would a bunch of college players leave tens of thousands of dollars in jewelry in an unattended dorm room while they are off in a different state when everyone knows they're gone?"

Point is, it's easy to criticize, but where else do you put it?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's more than tens of thousands. $10K isn't gonna get you much in jewelry these days. Those gold chains are probably low six figures, minimum.

Reminds me of when a bunch of punks went into our locker room while the game was going on and stole our Reebok Pumps and Starter jackets (except they all got caught).

Last edited:

Guessing there are cameras at the arena and the locker room area is usually fairly isolated away from the general public so they might be able to identify people going in and out of the locker room that shouldn't have been there.
That is surely a possibility, and would be nice if there were cameras. Frequently, for whatever reason, it seems like a lot of people have access to locker rooms. It could be an issue of key control or just the # of people who work in stadiums. I remember one year when Cal Stoll was the coach all of our footballs were stolen from the locker room the night before a game in Ann Arbor. I've never considered locker rooms to be secure places. Nobody likes a thief.

UCLA is notorious for not spending money on their Athletic Department. Particularly on the football team. The results have shown that. Colorado should have known it and realized the risks on bringing all that jewelry in there.

Of course Deion may have gotten rid of all the Colorado players who were aware of the history.
They don't even have a 100 yard practice field.

So if they had left it back in their dorms in Colorado and it got stolen, I assume you'd write something like, "why would a bunch of college players leave tens of thousands of dollars in jewelry in an unattended dorm room while they are off in a different state when everyone knows they're gone?"

Point is, it's easy to criticize, but where else do you put it?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's more than tens of thousands. $10K isn't gonna get you much in jewelry these days. Those gold chains are probably low six figures, minimum.

I would guess if you have MORE than 10's of thousands of dollars in jewelry, you should have a safe or maybe insurance? I suppose neither of those are particularly flashy though.

Or common sense things like you don't need to bring all that jewelry to a stadium lockerroom.
If it will break your heart, or your bank account, if it is lost, broken, or stolen, don't bring it. Fourth rule of travel/pilgrimage.

Zero sympathy.

I would guess if you have MORE than 10's of thousands of dollars in jewelry, you should have a safe or maybe insurance? I suppose neither of those are particularly flashy though.
You could hold up the insurance policy and wave it at opposing fans after eking out a win against a bad team.

I remember being nervous that my CD walkman was in the opposing team's locker room when I was in HS.

Bringing thousands of dollars worth of jewelry is beyond stupid. It doesn't mean they deserve to be robbed but we should also teach life lessons about avoiding bad situations.

So much stupid here, it’s hard to gather thoughts. Less than zero sympathy. Scorn for blowing money on the dumbest things imaginable, for starters. Sure, they’re barely of age, but still. Traveling without adequate insurance. Zero awareness or foresight.

The limits of liability for UCLA are probably pretty low, especially if a lockable safe was available or bare minimum, a standard locker. Don’t know. Maybe they have some culpability. I doubt it.

Barring that, being the role model that he is Neon Deion should pony up for his boys. Particularly if this happened before?

So much stupid here, it’s hard to gather thoughts. Less than zero sympathy. Scorn for blowing money on the dumbest things imaginable, for starters. Sure, they’re barely of age, but still. Traveling without adequate insurance. Zero awareness or foresight.

The limits of liability for UCLA are probably pretty low, especially if a lockable safe was available or bare minimum, a standard locker. Don’t know. Maybe they have some culpability. I doubt it.

Barring that, being the role model that he is Neon Deion should pony up for his boys. Particularly if this happened before?
Agreed. Becoming the victim of an entitled environment that you created and actively promoted doesn't warrant much sympathy.

Bling, and its desire, to fabricate image, is the bane of my existence. I am an insurance fraud investigator…. What is important to people baffles me.

They likely stayed at a hotel…. Yup, they had access to secure facilities.

Top Bottom