College football Super League

MplsGopher

Reaction score
(note: The Athletic actually has a story on this, but I don't pay money for opinions, so I can't see it)

With the elite European soccer programs deciding to keep more for themselves and creating a "Super League" ......... should/will the elite college football programs consider doing something similar?

And which programs would be in it?

My (free) opinion: it wouldn't both me one bit if Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Nebraska left the Big Ten (would only be in football) for a new Super League. I think the remaining programs are more in line with what Minnesota is and can become.

Regarding your opinion, why do you add Nebraska? 25 years ago, maybe. They aren't what they were back then, and I don't see that changing. Interesting thought in general, though.

Regarding your opinion, why do you add Nebraska? 25 years ago, maybe. They aren't what they were back then, and I don't see that changing. Interesting thought in general, though.
Perhaps he added the Cornhuskers just knowing that they would demand to be in the new league, continually insisting they are relevant, despite what everyone outside of Nebraska already knows. Best to just include them right off the bat so we don't have to listen to the bitchin'.

Perhaps he added the Cornhuskers just knowing that they would demand to be in the new league, continually insisting they are relevant, despite what everyone outside of Nebraska already knows. Best to just include them right off the bat so we don't have to listen to the bitchin'.
Nah...he just hates Nebraska so much and wants whatever it will take to get them out of the B10.

The Athletic article header mentioned them for it.

Never will understand the modern national CFB media’s fantasy of Neb returning to 1997.

I have seen old timers in here post that When Holtz was hired at MN many felt that MN had recently been champs.

(note: The Athletic actually has a story on this, but I don't pay money for opinions, so I can't see it)

With the elite European soccer programs deciding to keep more for themselves and creating a "Super League" ......... should/will the elite college football programs consider doing something similar?

My (free) opinion: it wouldn't both me one bit if Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Nebraska left the Big Ten (would only be in football) for a new Super League. I think the remaining programs are more in line with what Minnesota is and can become.
Except, the whole idea of the Super League is that the teams joining it ALSO continue to compete in their existing leagues. This Super league is an additional league they play in, and don't have to fear relegation in.

Also, as far as I have seen, broadly the ENTIRE Soccer community is against the Super League....

Fun to discuss during the long offseason, but it's probably far more likely that the entire P5 splits for football to create a "mega-league" (insert Woody joke here) with divisions that feed into a big playoff.

Which division/conferences are projected for, or will they place: a. St. Thomas, and, b. NDSU?!?

Last edited:

It's long been discussed/rumored that the P5 conferences would someday reorganize themselves into a de facto national conference with various divisions.

But, with the rise of the individual conference TV networks, I see that as less likely. There is zero incentive for any of the B1G teams to share the BTN money - or for any of the SEC teams to share the take from the SEC Network.

If anything is going to change in the current system, I suppose I could see the P5 become the P4. In that scenario, I think the Big 12 would be the most likely to be canabalized and its teams re-allocated among the other 4 conferences.

But, with the rise of the individual conference TV networks, I see that as less likely. There is zero incentive for any of the B1G teams to share the BTN money - or for any of the SEC teams to share the take from the SEC Network.
The incentive would be: i) more money per school, for those schools in, and ii) fear that if they don't accept the bid (say, out of loyalty to the conference, or whatever) that some other team will.

Not on your main topic. But absolutely nailed it on the opinion part. The Athletic started out as a good idea, but it has become almost strictly an opinion page for athletics.

A super league is possible once athletes can be payed. Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida ETC are gonna have big bucks that other schools cannot match. This could increase the talent gap between teams and big tv contracts could come calling for the super league

Look - if the TV networks could have a system where the top teams played each other on a more regular basis - while dumping the conference bottom-feeders - they would love it.

I think it's possible that we could see a "Super-League" or super conference with the top 24 or 36 teams on one level, and the rest of the leftover P5 teams and group of 5 teams at the next level.

Like MN HS FB - the top teams in class 6A and the next tier in 5A.

it would all depend on support/encouragement ($) from the TV providers.

Yeah ... that really collapsed, quickly and badly.

I'm just not sure, in the slightest, that Americans would react in anything close to the same manner.
Well, the problem with a football version would likely be that the conferences would ban those teams from playing in their previous conferences, which means you're losing a LOT of rivalries AND a lot of the travel-ability of the season schedule.

Would the fans react as badly to such an announcement? Probably not. Would it still be enough of a reaction to stop it from happening? I think so.

Well, the problem with a football version would likely be that the conferences would ban those teams from playing in their previous conferences, which means you're losing a LOT of rivalries AND a lot of the travel-ability of the season schedule.

Would the fans react as badly to such an announcement? Probably not. Would it still be enough of a reaction to stop it from happening? I think so.
American football has a very specified, narrow season, with a very limited number of games.

Point being, this would have to be a 100% commitment from those football teams, that they'd pretty much only get to play each other in this new, completely separate break off league.

It would just be the minor league of the NFL. Same type of format. Maybe they'd allow one "non-conference" game as a preseason warmup, or something to that effect.

We can agree to disagree that fan reaction would stop it, like it did in soccer. I can't see any reason why Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, USC, etc. fans -- which is a large majority of the CFB fans -- would get up in arms over no longer playing for old conference titles or not getting to play the lower half conference teams. They'd have most of their main rivals along with them, and a big time, exciting new level all to themselves.

The Super League just might be the only thing that can save Nebraska football.

The incentive would be: i) more money per school, for those schools in, and ii) fear that if they don't accept the bid (say, out of loyalty to the conference, or whatever) that some other team will.

Just as relevant, they wouldn't be tied to whatever rules the Conferences/NCAA set in terms of player compensation/scholarships, eligibility, roster size, recruiting etc. They would establish a different paradigm.

Lol a CFB super league would solidify Nebraska as a winless team. I love them in the Big Ten as a very good chance at a prestigious sounding win each season

I'd be curious to see what a college football super league would look like. I kind of want someone to try and form one now and see what the plan would be. Would it be a break away from the NCAA? A new "conference" with their own playoff?

I think in practice it would probably act as "conference" that just chose not to participate in bowl season or the CFP. That wouldn't really piss off the NCAA as the NCAA isn't involved in post season college football.

If these programs tried to break from the NCAA, the NCAA would just prevent any of the schools other sports from competing, so I don't think they could swing that unless the power 5 conferences all tell the NCAA to take a hike and form their own athletics association.

I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with it. I guess it'd effectively create a D1, D1-AA, and D1-AAA in college football which I think could be fun. The big question is how would the majority react, if it results in everyone shifting their attention to the new "super league" then the checkbooks of those left behind will suffer.

Just as relevant, they wouldn't be tied to whatever rules the Conferences/NCAA set in terms of player compensation/scholarships, eligibility, roster size, recruiting etc. They would establish a different paradigm.
I think if they tried to do that, they'd have to pull all of their athletic programs out of the NCAA. Which would probably piss off enough people to kill the idea. The most realistic way I see something like this working is a new "conference" that just has their own college football post season. A 12-14 team conference with a 4-6 team playoff actually could be pretty cool.

They'd also have to be prepared to coordinate every other sport because you can bet if Ohio State tried to leave the Big Ten, the B1G would tell every other sport at OSU to get lost.

Last edited:

I'd be curious to see what a college football super league would look like. I kind of want someone to try and form one now and see what the plan would be. Would it be a break away from the NCAA? A new "conference" with their own playoff?

I think in practice it would probably act as "conference" that just chose not to participate in bowl season or the CFP. That wouldn't really piss off the NCAA as the NCAA isn't involved in post season college football.

If these programs tried to break from the NCAA, the NCAA would just prevent any of the schools other sports from competing, so I don't think they could swing that unless the power 5 conferences all tell the NCAA to take a hike and form their own athletics association.

I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with it. I guess it'd effectively create a D1, D1-AA, and D1-AAA in college football which I think could be fun. The big question is how would the majority react, if it results in everyone shifting their attention to the new "super league" then the checkbooks of those left behind will suffer.

I think if they tried to do that, they'd have to pull all of their athletic programs out of the NCAA. Which would probably piss off enough people to kill the idea. The most realistic way I see something like this working is a new "conference" that just has their own college football post season. A 12-14 team conference with a 4-6 team playoff actually could be pretty cool.

They'd also have to be prepared to coordinate every other sport because you can bet if Ohio State tried to leave the Big Ten, the B1G would tell every other sport at OSU to get lost.

Would the NCAA and conferences keep the current bowl tie-ins? Assuming so, with OSU, UM, PSU and wisconsin gone from the B1G,I like the Gopher's chances of getting to Pasadena before I die!

How/Who gets to be in that 12-16 team conference? Just don't see any interest from the conferences in doing something like this.

How/Who gets to be in that 12-16 team conference? Just don't see any interest from the conferences in doing something like this.
Well, hypothetically, the conferences wouldn't have a choice. It'd be the "elite" football schools talking amongst themselves and breaking away from their existing conference to form this new "super conference." That's the most realistic way I see something like this happening at least without a complete blow up of the NCAA.

It'd actually probably end up being a decent basketball conference too if I think of the schools that would be interested in something like this. Not the best, but respectable.

Top Bottom