College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

A University with foresight might have understood that the NIL was going to be a one time chance to change the historic path. A smart administration/ AD might have told the donor base to go all in on NIL instead of other donation types. That should have happened a year ago here.

The Gophers can't even fill up half of Williams arena right now. Donors aren't going to suddenly lineup to throw money at a program that is in it's worst shape in history because of their current head coach. And money guarantees you nothing. Coaching and leadership comes first.

The Gophers can't even fill up half of Williams arena right now. Donors aren't going to suddenly lineup to throw money at a program that is in it's worst shape in history because of their current head coach. And money guarantees you nothing. Coaching and leadership comes first.
Right now, if I had a choice between paying 5 million to players or paying out a 5 million dollar buyout and hiring a Craig Smith, Niko Medved type coach- I'd pay the players. When you have languished this long, you have to have a surge of some sort. Either go all in on paying big money to a coach or be at the forefront of paying players.

Yah this can't happen. Sure the kids can get theirs but there has to be some rules or contracts, something. I've said I don't feel bad for coaches as they are paid millions of dollars but my lord it would be annoying to be a coach right now in college.

I don't understand this way of thinking. Pretty clearly there are rules/contracts as the original tweet from Goodman indicated the players are waiting for their final payment to clear before announcing their plans to transfer. Most people try to maximize their compensation and benefits once they know they are changing jobs, why on earth should 18-24 year olds be different?

Also, "can't happen"? There are clear windows of time when the transfer portal is made available to athletes. You want to review each portal entry based on how the players are exiting NIL deals? Change is hard, but my goodness, it seems many on this board have no memory of being young, fearless, and having agency to make decisions. Kids are going to do things for themselves and their families because they don't know when the next opportunity to do so will present itself.

Right but you wouldn't have that choice to make bga1 and neither did Coyle. The AD pays the coach, the collective pays the NIL. Unless you think the AD should give money to DTA over coaches which I don't think they are allowed to do.

Right but you wouldn't have that choice to make bga1 and neither did Coyle. The AD pays the coach, the collective pays the NIL. Unless you think the AD should give money to DTA over coaches which I don't think they are allowed to do.
You are correct, the AD can't send money to DTA. The AD and his group have a network of contacts around the state that have given money in big chunks in the past. They can ask them to funnel money to NIL instead of other types of giving. It is a tougher sell because it isn't tax deductible but it can be done. Big donors want their money to cause winning. This is the most direct way, at the moment, to change the arc of the program. I hate it- but that's the way.

There is zero doubt that what I have described is happening in other big time schools. Creighton figured it out early, just for example. It is going to be real obvious which schools have figured it out this spring. Our program has plenty of money coming in from the TV contracts- donations should be urged to be directed towards NIL.

Why, with the revenue they are getting from TV contracts, tickets, etc- do they need donations to support the sports? https://goldengopherfund.com/priorities/program-support/index.html

Last edited:

Anyone with a brain knows that buying 2 good players instantly changes the team dramatically.

This has NOTHING to do with coaching.

Right now, if I had a choice between paying 5 million to players or paying out a 5 million dollar buyout and hiring a Craig Smith, Niko Medved type coach- I'd pay the players. When you have languished this long, you have to have a surge of some sort. Either go all in on paying big money to a coach or be at the forefront of paying players.

Yet there are so many programs that do more than us with less resources and less money. The Gophers can make the NCAA tournament nearly every year with the right coach and with our current NIL.

Do that, and more money will flow into the program.

Yet there are so many programs that do more than us with less resources and less money. The Gophers can make the NCAA tournament nearly every year with the right coach and with our current NIL.

All of that is true in the past. You aren't going to succeed at the Big Ten level (Big 18) anymore with sparse NIL funding like we have now. They are scrapping around for money right now just to pay Christie. They don't have much else to spread around to the better players in the portal.

Furthermore, the first question a really good coach is going to ask is - how are you going to support my recruiting with NIL? You have to play by the current rules- not that past ones.

Anyone with a brain knows that buying 2 good players instantly changes the team dramatically.

This has NOTHING to do with coaching.
Coaching still has a lot to do with things. For the moment- we need money for a jolt. Get a high end coach and it will help money come in. However, whether we have a good coach or a lousy one, we are going to need a lot more cash flowing in to survive.

All of that is true in the past. You aren't going to succeed at the Big Ten level (Big 18) anymore with sparse NIL funding like we have now. They are scrapping around for money right now just to pay Christie. They don't have much else to spread around to the better players in the portal.

Furthermore, the first question a really good coach is going to ask is - how are you going to support my recruiting with NIL? You have to play by the current rules- not that past ones.

No it's still true today. If money was everything, then how did Michigan, Ohio St, and Michigan St all finish in the bottom half of the conference with us? How did Indiana only finish with 1 more win than us? Those are your top NIL schools in the conference.

The program doesn't have sparse NIL money. Most players aren't staying places because they love their team, they are staying because they are being paid adequately. I'm guessing Garcia is going to get north of 400k/500k this upcoming year.

The program doesn't have sparse NIL money. Most players aren't staying places because they love their team, they are staying because they are being paid adequately.
Yep- now consider why it is we aren't attracting new signees. Why don't we have Payne? I'm not buying for a second the line that he is a malcontent.
I'm guessing Garcia is going to get north of 400k/500k this upcoming year.
That's right. And the well is pretty dry after paying the guys that have committed to return. I know for a fact that they are hunting around for cash to pay others including Christie, if he should return.
So yeah, paying Garcia 400-500k or whatever is a ton of money- but that is the market and they need more guys. Guys that can play...and that will take money.

No it's still true today. If money was everything, then how did Michigan, Ohio St, and Michigan St all finish in the bottom half of the conference with us? How did Indiana only finish with 1 more win than us? Those are your top NIL schools in the conference.
This year, if you hadn't noticed, is a whole lot different than last year. Last year was the first go at it- things have gone big time. Money is not everything. But it is a requirement.

I have said that yes, I'd hire a billionaire or something like that for our new coach. Some super fundraiser type guy.

But no, not just some standard hire. That wouldn't make any difference at all.

This year, if you hadn't noticed, is a whole lot different than last year. Last year was the first go at it- things have gone big time. Money is not everything. But it is a requirement.

No last year was not the first go of it. 'Legal' NIL has been around since Ben started. And it's been around under the table for decades for several of the programs I just mentioned. Why did these big NIL teams lose last year despite such a competitive advantage?

The Gophers have comparable NIL to at least half of the conference. Yet we're the worst program in the conference. That's on the coaching staff, and nothing is going to change on the court or with NIL until that changes first.

Dream on. You are obsessed with the notion that you get a certain coach and players will fall from the sky. In today’s world, they’d all need a fat HIL bankroll to consistently field a winning team.

Dream on. You are obsessed with the notion that you get a certain coach and players will fall from the sky. In today’s world, they’d all need a fat HIL bankroll to consistently field a winning team.

You're wrong. There are plenty of P6 teams who are better than us with a similar situation. Keep dreaming that somehow the Gophers are worse off than everyone else.

And let's just ignore all of the non P6 teams that have had coaches come in and make the NCAA tournament in a short amount of time with zero NIL.

I have said that yes, I'd hire a billionaire or something like that for our new coach. Some super fundraiser type guy.

But no, not just some standard hire. That wouldn't make any difference at all.

What’s Norwood Teague 👅 up or down to?

You're wrong. There are plenty of P6 teams who are better than us with a similar situation. Keep dreaming that somehow the Gophers are worse off than everyone else.

And let's just ignore all of the non P6 teams that have had coaches come in and make the NCAA tournament in a short amount of time with zero NIL.
Hmmm? Confused? Are you talking about before portal/NIL or can you predict the future? It is a new world order.

Hmmm? Confused? Are you talking about before portal/NIL or can you predict the future? It is a new world order.

I'm talking about the last 3 years. NIL/portal has existed for all of them. So have teams being much more competitive than the Gophers with significantly less money.

I wish I had all the NIL inside info like you do. I must not be giving enough to DTA. Or you're just making stuff up. One of the is likely partially true.

I'm talking about the last 3 years. NIL/portal has existed for all of them. So have teams being much more competitive than the Gophers with significantly less money.
To me, what is relevant is now and going forward, not what could have been. We will never know….

I don't understand this way of thinking. Pretty clearly there are rules/contracts as the original tweet from Goodman indicated the players are waiting for their final payment to clear before announcing their plans to transfer. Most people try to maximize their compensation and benefits once they know they are changing jobs, why on earth should 18-24 year olds be different?

Also, "can't happen"? There are clear windows of time when the transfer portal is made available to athletes. You want to review each portal entry based on how the players are exiting NIL deals? Change is hard, but my goodness, it seems many on this board have no memory of being young, fearless, and having agency to make decisions. Kids are going to do things for themselves and their families because they don't know when the next opportunity to do so will present itself.
They can also be impulsive, imprudent, and way over value their worth to other organizations. Just like adults. But I have some sympathy for them because I think they are getting played by people benefiting from their imprudence and overestimating their value on the market.

Top Bottom