College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Good lord.....we may as well just make one big thread on this board because every single one turns into the same arguments about the coach and/or NIL (pay for play)

Those of you that desparately want Ben gone have made your case.....over and over and over and over and over again in countless threads. Coyle doesn't seem inclined to fire him yet so rehashing the same crap constantly doesn't accomplish anything outside of derailing threads.

Terris Reed to Uconn. Another Center off the board. At least not in Big Ten!

Good lord.....we may as well just make one big thread on this board because every single one turns into the same arguments about the coach and/or NIL (pay for play)

Those of you that desparately want Ben gone have made your case.....over and over and over and over and over again in countless threads. Coyle doesn't seem inclined to fire him yet so rehashing the same crap constantly doesn't accomplish anything outside of derailing threads.

You can say the same thing about the posters who keep making up excuses about why the Gophers can't compete in this environment. That is 100% false.

Ben has the resources to compete. He hasn't proven he has the recruiting or coaching ability to compete over 3 years. He has 1 more year to change that.

When the BJ apologists recognize this, the same arguments will stop.

Right now, if I had a choice between paying 5 million to players or paying out a 5 million dollar buyout and hiring a Craig Smith, Niko Medved type coach- I'd pay the players. When you have languished this long, you have to have a surge of some sort. Either go all in on paying big money to a coach or be at the forefront of paying players.
They can't take theoretical buy out $$ they saved and give it to the players and you know that. Needing more NIL $ and the current coach being in way over his head are two separate issues but they both have to be addressed.

Coach P is signing players for the women's team from the portal. So is PJ. The coach matters. It's not all on "the U sucks".

You can say the same thing about the posters who keep making up excuses about why the Gophers can't compete in this environment. That is 100% false.

Ben has the resources to compete. He hasn't proven he has the recruiting or coaching ability to compete over 3 years. He has 1 more year to change that.

Agree, both sides of this argument are tired and played out although I will still contend that these Ben Johnson apologists you guys refer to don't actually exist. If Coyle fired Johnson today I would be shocked if there were many on this board who would say it was a bad move.

And I haven't seen anyone say that if the team doesn't make the tournament next year that Johnson should not be fired.

They can't take theoretical buy out $$ they saved and give it to the players and you know that. Needing more NIL $ and the current coach being in way over his head are two separate issues but they both have to be addressed.

Coach P is signing players for the women's team from the portal. So is PJ. The coach matters. It's not all on "the U sucks".
Of course. What I am saying is that in this current time frame, they have to do what they can to help the guy that they have obviously decided to keep as the coach. If I were the U- I would be contacting my big Gopher fund donors and asking/begging for NIL help in lieu of other types of donations at this point in time. They can do that, there is no rule against them encouraging people to route money towards a collective.

One can think that BJ is not the correct coach and also understand that there is more needed for NIL at this level in order to compete. If you think you can bring a new coach in here and utilize the same amount of NIL to support him- you are just wrong. Coach is part of the equation. Not all of it.

Anyone with a brain knows that buying 2 good players instantly changes the team dramatically.

This has NOTHING to do with coaching.
So then the coach gets zero credit if the team plays well too? That seems at odds with every post you made last season...

Last edited:

A University with foresight might have understood that the NIL was going to be a one time chance to change the historic path. A smart administration/ AD might have told the donor base to go all in on NIL instead of other donation types. That should have happened a year ago here.
That assumes the donor base simply follows instructions from administration (and Athletic Department LOL) as to how to designate their donations? Do you believe all donors care about football and basketball? Or do they have other interests that guide their donations?

Yes they are.

Of course it's FRAUD. A big lie. But they're putting the school uniform on the players.

We real Gophers alumni should file a class-action lawsuit for FRAUD.
The fraud is that a public university is putting its uniform on professional athletes. The fraud is that a public university is giving a massive platform upon which professional athletes are showcasing themselves in order to enhance future earnings.

It's not only fraudulent, it's illegal and bound to be tested in the courts sometime in the future. A public university cannot feed, house, provide training facilities, travel expense, and a public stadium and massive TV audience to professional athletes.

The program doesn't have sparse NIL money. Most players aren't staying places because they love their team, they are staying because they are being paid adequately. I'm guessing Garcia is going to get north of 400k/500k this upcoming year.
From who?

That assumes the donor base simply follows instructions from administration (and Athletic Department LOL) as to how to designate their donations? Do you believe all donors care about football and basketball? Or do they have other interests that guide their donations?
Of course they do and they understand from their database who supports what. You are not going to ask a woman's volleyball supporter to do this- that's obvious.

The Gophers have NIL money comparable to at least half of the B1G. That is relevant now and going forward.
When you are a below average team and you have average money- you are going to stay right where you are. The point is, a big gain could have been made this year. This is a new frontier. This year isn't like last year. Yes there was NIL last year. This year will be 5X last year at a minimum.

Neither of us wanted Ben hired. I am dealing with the reality that he is the coach and he will be next year. You are not.

I wish I had all the NIL inside info like you do. I must not be giving enough to DTA. Or you're just making stuff up. One of the is likely partially true.
To be honest, I have no plans of ever giving a dime to NIL or the U for that matter other than my season ticket donations. There are so many hungry people and causes of great need that I will always give to. Not this. That said, I am getting some information from people I know who are or have been big donors to the U. They have no reason to lie to me.

One can think that BJ is not the correct coach and also understand that there is more needed for NIL at this level in order to compete. If you think you can bring a new coach in here and utilize the same amount of NIL to support him- you are just wrong. Coach is part of the equation. Not all of it.

I'm not wrong because several of our peers are doing it with similar amounts or less.

If coaching wasn't the #1 factor above else, then the big NIL schools could hire anyone off the street and be successful. Yet that doesn't happen.

When you are a below average team and you have average money- you are going to stay right where you are. The point is, a big gain could have been made this year. This is a new frontier. This year isn't like last year. Yes there was NIL last year. This year will be 5X last year at a minimum.

Neither of us wanted Ben hired. I am dealing with the reality that he is the coach and he will be next year. You are not.

How am I not? Ben will be the coach next year, that's obvious and unquestionable at this point.

Ben doesn't give donors any reason to believe he's the right coach for this job, which is why he doesn't have more money to work with. There are a lot of other coaches doing more with less that could build a better program than Ben has done with his resources here.

I will not 100 percent go with that the transfer portal is destroying college sports but it is certainly headed that way. I guess I am just more of the old school way of thinking that kids need to man up and earn playing time rather than taking the easy way out and finding another school. Of course, some just enter the portal for financial reasons also.

As a huge Tar Heel basketball fan(LIterally only sport I follow of there's haha) we need to get some guys from the portal to compete next season. Still doesn't mean I like the thing as a whole.

And glad to be here! Got my Master's degree from this fine institution and hope to make my first home game this upcoming season. Undergrad was from a pretty small D2 school haha.

How am I not? Ben will be the coach next year, that's obvious and unquestionable at this point.

Ben doesn't give donors any reason to believe he's the right coach for this job
, which is why he doesn't have more money to work with. There are a lot of other coaches doing more with less that could build a better program than Ben has done with his resources here.
I don't disagree with a thing you said there. That said, regardless of the opinion of Ben, he would do better with more NIL money (and thus better players). Therefore, it is the job of the AD and his department to find ways to solicit the money he needs from donors- quickly.

I don't disagree with a thing you said there. That said, regardless of the opinion of Ben, he would do better with more NIL money (and thus better players). Therefore, it is the job of the AD and his department to find ways to solicit the money he needs from donors- quickly.

If that was the case, then Ben would get hired by programs with more NIL. Yet no one else wanted Ben for a HC other than Minnesota, including lower level programs. Those big programs won't even hire him as an assistant.

Mo money mo problems as well.

Ben apparently can't handle the JOJ's, Carrington's, Payne's of the world. You think he can handle the ego's and be able to lead and coach a bunch of college players making 500k - 1 million+? Zero chance.

Therefore, it is the job of the AD and his department to find ways to solicit the money he needs from donors- quickly.
There's no sudden surge of $$ that's going to be solicited at this point. The program hasn't made the NCAA's in 5 years. The coach is 15-44 and on the hot seat. It is what it is. The only one that can save Ben's job is Ben.

There's no point in even trying to talk any sense to the Ben-haters. They're unhinged.

If that was the case, then Ben would get hired by programs with more NIL. Yet no one else wanted Ben for a HC other than Minnesota, including lower level programs. Those big programs won't even hire him as an assistant.
What on earth are you talking about? No one at this level would hire Ben right now. Our AD has decided to give him another year. All I am saying is that based on that decision it is incumbent on the AD to go all out to help Ben get the NIL money he needs to get a good roster in place- NOW.

If we had hired Mussy or an equivalent this spring I have no doubt that we would also have NIL money to toss around because the donors would be all in. That's not the decision they made. So having made the decision the AD needs to participate in making that decision work.

What on earth are you talking about? No one at this level would hire Ben right now. Our AD has decided to give him another year. All I am saying is that based on that decision it is incumbent on the AD to go all out to help Ben get the NIL money he needs to get a good roster in place- NOW.

If we had hired Mussy or an equivalent this spring I have no doubt that we would also have NIL money to toss around because the donors would be all in. That's not the decision they made. So having made the decision the AD needs to participate in making that decision work.

Ben has significantly more NIL to work with today than he did when he started. So I don't know what you're talking about.

And if you want to talk about Muss, he's allegedly this great coach, plus had a ton of NIL to work with, yet he was 14-22 in the SEC the last two seasons. How can that be?

Football isn't having nearly the problems as basketball is despite many more mouths to feed. Ben has the supplies, he's just not capable or very good at using them. You continue to point the blame at everyone else except for where the blame should be directed.

Last edited:

Top Bottom