College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Good lord college basketball is just a mess right now. What a joke.
Coaches contracts have buyouts that go down on 4/1 or 5/1 for a reason. Now NIL contracts will have payments due after the portal deadline for a reason. God Bless America.

Yah this can't happen. Sure the kids can get theirs but there has to be some rules or contracts, something. I've said I don't feel bad for coaches as they are paid millions of dollars but my lord it would be annoying to be a coach right now in college.

Yah this can't happen. Sure the kids can get theirs but there has to be some rules or contracts, something. I've said I don't feel bad for coaches as they are paid millions of dollars but my lord it would be annoying to be a coach right now in college.
In my opinion, it was their lucrative contracts and job hopping that was the predecessor to this g*dd*mn mess. It is quickly turning into no point in watching this "product". It is turning into AAU All-Star teams vs. Rec League development programs. Nothing but cannon fodder.

Athletics have always been predicated on the notion of a level playing field. That is why there are classes in high school and divisions in college. Otherwise, why not just lump everyone together?

If it weren't for my kids attending school there right now and being involved in activities around the teams, my interest level would be rapidly moving to zero. As it stands right now, I need to stay somewhat in the know so I can provide some consolation on yet another thing adults have managed to completely f*ck up.

The hubris and lack of leadership from the NCAA was/is astounding. Now they are standing out in the middle of the street with their pants around their ankles and crying we don't know what to do. If ever there was a time for a new organization to arise, it would be now. Bring in structure, salary caps, rules, contracts and consequences and run it like the multi-billion dollar enterprise that it is. Students are employees, not mercenaries. The kids wanted it, well, now they are gonna get the full real-life treatment. The NCAA would go the way of the Pac 12 - they would cease to exist in 2 or 3 years. Couldn't happen to a nicer group. :)

At the time of this writing, there were 919 players in the portal according to On3. The number committed players at their new schools are as follows:

Top 150 top rated transfers have 61 committed (41%).
Next 150 transfers have 28 committed (19%).
The next 619 transfers have 24 committed (3.9%)

I'm not sure what point I'm even trying to make, but it must speak of "supply and demand", "capitalist spending", or ""Pareto Principal" dynamics in all human endeavors. It just seems a lot quicker and easier for the top NIL spending schools to garner top talent, and if that was the goal of NIL then terrific. Something is clearly not right, not the collegiate competitive spirit that I think would be ideal.

I wrote a small article in 1986 in my Univ. newspaper about paying college athletes, and paying them well as the market dictated. Following that to its conclusion, it devolved into a separation of a small number of "Athletic Universities" in their own conferences where all top athletes could attend for pay and compete against other top players. Their single-minded focus was to go pro and get drafted in their sport. Classes were focused on money management, press relations, professional conduct, physio training, nutrition, etc. For those at Athletic Univ. that weren't quite good enough to go pro, they found out earlier in life, and banked some money allowing them to attend the more numerous "Academic Universities". These schools had limited sports at lower unpaid levels, and an athletic transfer could get a nice degree with limited or no debt. It seemed incredulous at the time, and it was written tongue-in-cheek but here we are a step closer.

At the time of this writing, there were 919 players in the portal according to On3. The number committed players at their new schools are as follows:

Top 150 top rated transfers have 61 committed (41%).
Next 150 transfers have 28 committed (19%).
The next 619 transfers have 24 committed (3.9%)
This makes sense. Top players get the top dollars. The middle class fills in the gaps and the bottom guys wait and either find way better than expected openings or find the well dried up and they transfer down.

We are going to live in the middle class. CBJs job will hang on how he does with that group. Does he find gems or duds.

I could have told you this a year ago. Or the minute it was decided that schools can pay for players.

The fact that they've convinced us that this is okay...even good...is darn close to PROOF that we are sheep.

I truly can't imagine what it is like for coaches trying to navigate all of this right now. The roster management piece is insanely more complicated than it was just a few short year ago.

I could have told you this a year ago. Or the minute it was decided that schools can pay for players.

The fact that they've convinced us that this is okay...even good...is darn close to PROOF that we are sheep.
We could all predict what "NIL" would become in college football and basketball. There was little doubt it would be quickly bastardized into something it was never intended to be.

NIL as intended is a great thing that should have been in place for college athletes years ago.

At least there isn't much talk about COACHING in the last page of this thread. So maybe we're getting getting somewhere.

But there's still way too many comments about well the players need to get their's, but...
it's time for contracts...
well the best players should get this or that...
etc...

No. Schools should NOT pay for students.

At least there isn't much talk about COACHING in the last page of this thread. So maybe we're getting getting somewhere.

But there's still way too many comments about well the players need to get their's, but...
it's time for contracts...
well the best players should get this or that...
etc...

No. Schools should NOT pay for students.
Schools aren't paying for students.

I truly can't imagine what it is like for coaches trying to navigate all of this right now. The roster management piece is insanely more complicated than it was just a few short year ago.

They're pretty much like any company manager now. The top companies attract the top talent, pay the most, have less turnover, and make the most money.

The middle tier pays a comfortable living wage, relies on finding rising stars to become successful, but turnover is higher and loses more stars than they can keep to the top companies.

Then there's the startups that are scraping to get by and struggling to find/keep employees. Most of them fail, but a few grow into top companies.

Welcome to corporate America coaches.

They're pretty much like any company manager now. The top companies attract the top talent, pay the most, have less turnover, and make the most money.

The middle tier pays a comfortable living wage, relies on finding rising stars to become successful, but turnover is higher and loses more stars than they can keep to the top companies.

Then there's the startups that are scraping to get by and struggling to find/keep employees. Most of them fail, but a few grow into top companies.

Welcome to corporate America coaches.
A University with foresight might have understood that the NIL was going to be a one time chance to change the historic path. A smart administration/ AD might have told the donor base to go all in on NIL instead of other donation types. That should have happened a year ago here.

I agree this portal and NIL nonsense has ruined college basketball, not sure why it hasn't had the same impact on college football which is more popular than ever?

I think in the end the product is better in football and the college game has regressed, not just because starts aren't staying longer as media folks like to say.

I agree this portal and NIL nonsense has ruined college basketball, not sure why it hasn't had the same impact on college football which is more popular than ever?
College basketball is pretty much as popular as ever too. Also you notice it more in basketball, it's 5 guys on the floor and only like 6-7 guys per team matter. Football has almost 100 guys in the roster and outside of QB most people don't know anyone.

College basketball is pretty much as popular as ever too. Also you notice it more in basketball, it's 5 guys on the floor and only like 6-7 guys per team matter. Football has almost 100 guys in the roster and outside of QB most people don't know anyone.
to be fair I don't have any data but are you talking about the entire season or March? Any info to back it up?

Anecdotally I don't know anyone that watches college basketball before February

Top Bottom