College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

What is stopping Coyle & Johnson from bringing Timberwolves reserves (or starters) or other pros onto the Gophers?

I say have it ready to go just before the NCAA Tournament starts. Thinking ahead is how to win at anything. Get an NCAA Championship.
You mean besides contracts and eligibility? Probably a whole host of things.

Are you trying to be MPLSGopher cause that is a terrible take.

I continue to be baffled by this. One would clearly think the staff at this point knows who is staying/leaving right??

Right now the only logical conclusion is that PP/DG/Fox and at least one of Betts/JOJ is staying and they are very happy with that group plus Grove.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if your guess was correct but it is "baffling" as you say. If you don't play one of those players at all and hardly play the other over the last third of the season, how could either side be particularly happy?

I don't know whether it was fatigue, health issues, or both but Payne appeared to have lost a little something in the final part of the season. I really think we could use one more big man of substance who could be counted on for 20 minutes a game if needed. It wouldn't hurt Garcia to play a fewer minutes per game either.

Indiana State appeared to play only one big man against us. Maybe Johnson wants to transition to that type of lineup eventually but our front court was our greatest strength this season.

Last edited:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if your guess was correct but it is "baffling" as you say. If you don't play one of those players at all and hardly play the other over the last third of the season, how could either side be particularly happy?

I don't know whether it was fatigue, health issues, or both but Payne appeared to have lost a little something in the final part of the season. I really think we could use one more big man of substance who could be counted on for 20 minutes a game if needed. It wouldn't hurt Garcia to play a few less minutes per game either.

Indiana State appeared to play only one big man against us. Maybe Johnson wants to transition to that type of lineup eventually but our front court was our greatest strength this season.
You need solid big men in the B1G. Yes, it’s a guards game but without inside play it’s hard to guard and a team relies too much on the three. I’d say we need someone to replicate Fox with size and agility underneath, but also someone who can spell Payne that we had none of. Perhaps a Jack Wilson type who could really contribute at this level.

Our problem isn't that we don't go 10 deep. Our problem is that we can seem to assemble even 8 reliable players for whatever reason. We have 12 scholarship players but we've played only 7 recently. It would be nice to have 8 or 9 reliable players so one or two of them can get some run when others ahead of them are struggling.

Sufficient depth definitely has been a problem under Ben Johnson but Pitino before him also had difficulty getting much from his bench. I guess we'll see what happens after the roster for next season is settled.
Portal transfers are looking for a place they will start. Have to get young ones for likely 9-10 spots.

I am baffled as to why they aren’t offering any bigs so far.

Also, why so many shorter guards have been offered. Seems like we never go after the 6’5”-6’8” wings who can D up. Which is a hole in our defense annually.

So I guess it’s business as usual.

What is stopping Coyle & Johnson from bringing Timberwolves reserves (or starters) or other pros onto the Gophers?

I say have it ready to go just before the NCAA Tournament starts. Thinking ahead is how to win at anything. Get an NCAA Championship.
And then lose to Wisconsin who brings in giannis and Lillard.

Also, why so many shorter guards have been offered. Seems like we never go after the 6’5”-6’8” wings who can D up. Which is a hole in our defense annually.

Wondering if there's interest in the Morgan kid from NDSU....he's from MN. Maybe more of a PF type but he has the size to play backup minute at the 5.

I don't think you're seeing many bigs because we have a number of guys on our roster who can rotate between the two post positions (Garcia, Payne, Fox, Ihnen, Betts, JOJ). The reason you probably aren't seeing many 6'5"-6'8" guards is that they are really valuable and there just aren't many of them available much less ones we could land.

We still have a shortage of guards, we should be looking to add at least 1 more after Asuma.

Portal transfers are looking for a place they will start. Have to get young ones for likely 9-10 spots.
Or old ones from lower levels who want a chance to play in the Big 10.

It seems a strange reaction, combined with his post-game interview where he said "I don't know" when asked if he'll be back and lots of rumors here in Wisconsin. Just my thoughts....
He said that he didn't know about the future once during the regular season too. It isn't much different from what Garcia has said.

You need solid big men in the B1G. Yes, it’s a guards game but without inside play it’s hard to guard and a team relies too much on the three. I’d say we need someone to replicate Fox with size and agility underneath, but also someone who can spell Payne that we had none of. Perhaps a Jack Wilson type who could really contribute at this level.

Agreed but I wouldn't use the phrase "Jack Wilson type" around here because I don't think people could get the images of the actual Jack Wilson out of their minds. :)

That too but you are gambling they could play if called upon for injury replacement. Can we find another EJ Stephen’s?
Yeah, I think we are probably going to have to gamble on most of our transfers if they are transferring in for a bench spot.

I even think a guy like Sean Sutherlin would have helped us a ton this year.

I'm very interested in him. I posted about him earlier in this thread.
I saw Morgan play in HS. haven't seen him in college, so his game may have changed. but in HS, he played more of a 'finesse' game as opposed to a 'power' game. to his credit, he could hit a baseline jumper and had a decent mid-range game. and again, he may have gotten a lot stronger, but back then, he did not strike me as someone who wanted to get into the scrum and mix it up inside.

I saw Morgan play in HS. haven't seen him in college, so his game may have changed. but in HS, he played more of a 'finesse' game as opposed to a 'power' game. to his credit, he could hit a baseline jumper and had a decent mid-range game. and again, he may have gotten a lot stronger, but back then, he did not strike me as someone who wanted to get into the scrum and mix it up inside.

I got a sense of that because he only averages about 8.4 rbs. per 40 minutes (about the same as Garcia and 2 fewer than Payne) and he doesn't block many shots. He does score a pretty fair amount for a guy who averages only 23 minutes per game. He's a good all around shooter. If you haven't seen it previously, here is his profile on Sports Reference.

Andrew Morgan

Top Bottom