College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Patrick McCaffery portaling doesn't surprise me. I think there's been a lot of pressure on him playing for his dad, combine that with the tragic accident involving his younger brother. ... think I heard Patrick was pretty bitter with how a lot of Iowa fans treated his brother. Not to mention his cancer. Getting away should be a good thing, and Duke's not exactly a bad spot to land if that's where he ends up.

I peruse Iowa game threads occasionally. For the most part, the fans on those threads don't like him or his father. I wonder if his father is considering stepping away in the near future?

He starting to look like a player that's unlikely to be happy anywhere. Granted, De Paul had an astonishingly bad season for a P6 team but they hired a coach with a history of success. You think he'd consider staying around for a new beginning. Maybe he just wants to go back to California.
or try to team up with Evans somewhere

Patrick McCaffery portaling doesn't surprise me. I think there's been a lot of pressure on him playing for his dad, combine that with the tragic accident involving his younger brother. ... think I heard Patrick was pretty bitter with how a lot of Iowa fans treated his brother. Not to mention his cancer. Getting away should be a good thing, and Duke's not exactly a bad spot to land if that's where he ends up.
I need to get caught up with the McCaffrey's. How many sons are there and is Patrick the one who had the cancer when he was in grade school? Are there any younger ones?

I'm not familiar with the accident (or I don't remember, which could be more likely).

If a fan base is obnoxious to a family that had an accident, that is repulsive. We'll assume it is a small and obnoxious segment who wouldn't have proper decorum.

I would get out of town if I were him, too. Going to Duke gets you a sniff of the national championship just being on the roster, and it won't get any better for him.

I need to get caught up with the McCaffrey's. How many sons are there and is Patrick the one who had the cancer when he was in grade school? Are there any younger ones?

I'm not familiar with the accident (or I don't remember, which could be more likely).

If a fan base is obnoxious to a family that had an accident, that is repulsive. We'll assume it is a small and obnoxious segment who wouldn't have proper decorum.

I would get out of town if I were him, too. Going to Duke gets you a sniff of the national championship just being on the roster, and it won't get any better for him.
Yes, it's Patrick that has the cancer, but I think all reports are good right now, so that's great news.

Younger brother is Jack, who has said he will not go to Iowa. Sounds like Ohio State, Butler, and Wake Forest are on his list. He was the driver in a fatal accident.

So are we now at where they can transfer as many times as they want?

Yes, with the legislation that was passed back in December, two time transfers are immediately eligible even if they aren't grad transfers(unless it were to get overturned)

So are we now at where they can transfer as many times as they want?

Where we now appear to be is on a highway with a posted speed limit of 60 mph but everyone is driving close to 80 mph or more and the cops don't have the manpower to really patrol the road. Finally, any recent tickets they've given have been dismissed by the courts. So, they seem to have thrown up their hands.

Where we now appear to be is on a highway with a posted speed limit of 60 mph but everyone is driving close to 80 mph or more and the cops don't have the manpower to really patrol the road. Finally, any recent tickets they've given have been dismissed by the courts. So, they seem to have thrown up their hands.
sammy hagar approves of this post

And the UofM is driving 50 in the left lane…

Omaha Biliew in the portal, one of four Iowa St. transfers so far. Biliew was a 5-star recruit but barely played last year as a freshman.

Omaha Biliew in the portal, one of four Iowa St. transfers so far. Biliew was a 5-star recruit but barely played last year as a freshman.

My Iowa State people say he’s all athlete and not enough basketball. Very popular in Ames but just couldn’t quite put the athlete and skill together.

My Iowa State people say he’s all athlete and not enough basketball. Very popular in Ames but just couldn’t quite put the athlete and skill together.
Got bad habits? Or just used to making up for mistakes with that athletic ability? I think Ola had this issue a little bit too (probably not on that level).

JOJ can score though.
That he can. The raw material is certainly there, he has a nice jumper. I wish we could have tapped into his full potential. Why we couldn't get him in the right spots to succeed I don't know. In a way, Tubby had those same problems with Rodney Williams who started to blossom more his last couple years.

I would say JOJ is a poor man's Omaha. He was very skilled, but I don't think he was ever asked to play any defense. Obviously in TJ's system, if you don't (or can't) play defense, you're not seeing the court. I'm guessing ISU signed him thinking they could teach him but Omaha was unwilling or unable to do so. At the end of the year when he got minutes, he looked as bad as JOJ did.

I would say JOJ is a poor man's Omaha. He was very skilled, but I don't think he was ever asked to play any defense. Obviously in TJ's system, if you don't (or can't) play defense, you're not seeing the court. I'm guessing ISU signed him thinking they could teach him but Omaha was unwilling or unable to do so. At the end of the year when he got minutes, he looked as bad as JOJ did.
Maybe we will take Omaha! Defense was optional for a few of our players this year.

Top Bottom