Coach Kill deciding between two football related positions?

HOOP DREAMS

Reaction score
Some mornings I tune into to 93X for their 20 minute sports segment with Randy Shaver. Josh works with the epilepsy foundations and said (not word for word) Coach said it was to early for an announcement, but he was excited to say he was deciding between two football related jobs.

Any ideas what those might be? I'd love to see him back in some form, but realize these jobs could unrelated to the UofM.

The guy is a ball coach. It's in his blood.

Heard the same thing. Josh did report that Kill said, "Big things" were in his future and he was currently deciding between those two offers. Not sure what the definition of "big things" would be.

Heard the same thing. Josh did report that Kill said, "Big things" were in his future and he was currently deciding between those two offers. Not sure what the definition of "big things" would be.

Thanks for adding that, I was on the phone and trying to listen but my wife wouldn't stop talking. :)

Some mornings I tune into to 93X for their 20 minute sports segment with Randy Shaver. Josh works with the epilepsy foundations and said (not word for word) Coach said it was to early for an announcement, but he was excited to say he was deciding between two football related jobs.

Any ideas what those might be? I'd love to see him back in some form, but realize these jobs could unrelated to the UofM.

Maybe he's gonna replace Pitino?

It's hard to imagine him not coaching, but coaching would mean back to the 80 hour weeks, and the NCAA only allows for so many coaching positions so he'd have to abide by those rules...

At the same if it isn't a coaching spot I'm not sure he'd be happy there long.

I wonder if he wants to do TV. I could see him as a good studio analyst, and do some color on selected games.

I think he'd be great as a commentator on TV.

Being a HC at any level would be a stretch considering his health fragile history and his high level of intensity.

A TV gig may be right up his alley. Not sure he has the Mason like qualities for the BTN but maybe others think differently.

I'll be happy when he gets a job so we don't have a read about him for a while

Being a HC at any level would be a stretch considering his health fragile history and his high level of intensity.

A TV gig may be right up his alley. Not sure he has the Mason like qualities for the BTN but maybe others think differently.
I never even considered TV. Don't know why I never thought of it, but makes total sense. One thing that struck me is that Shaver and Josh both raved about what a great speaker he was. Shaver specifically commented how when Jerry gives speeches, it's all from the heart, he rarely uses notes. Seems like the perfect color or studio analyst to me.

It will be coaching a football team.

If it is coaching I really hope it is at a lower level school for his sake. Somewhere away from the spotlight where he can coach without all the extreme pressure.

Getting a new head coaching job this quickly doesn't make sense to me. Why did he retire to begin with if he only takes a little bit of time off?

Getting a new head coaching job this quickly doesn't make sense to me. Why did he retire to begin with if he only takes a little bit of time off?

That, if it does happen, is unfortunately his pattern. He gets sick, claims he'll adjust his lifestyle, gets healthy, then goes back to doing what he did before. It's a bad/sad pattern that many of us are familiar with.

The initial retirement really seemed to be sudden / a whirlwind. Not part of a long decision making process.

Maybe he feels he can do it ... but not 1000%.

I like Jerry and all but I've never gotten a good feel for him as a person or such. He seems always "on" and seems very aware of what he says / does. Jerry keeps his cards close to his chest and we really don't know what his family's input is. He is of those too smart / self aware type folks to get any kind of read on him. He could be a really candid dude, or not, who knows...

Jerry could be running an awesome epic clean program, or have bagmen running around by the dozen, and I'm not sure I'd know the difference (well the lack of ole miss recruiting bump might tell us). I've no reason to think the latter is true at all, but man I'm not sure I'd know.

Jerry has only done one thing most of his life, maybe he finds out that's all he wants to do...

I completely disagree I think coach Kill would be great on Big10 network

I don't. I think he's too folksy for TV.

What you see SJUgopher as Folksy, I see as distinct, unique, and relatable.
You have producers and other TV staff that you work with in studio and during game broadcasts.
He has a distinct voice, speaks well in public and in interviews and has an interesting perspective on the game of football having coached at all levels of it. So I for one would think he would be great on college broadcasts of football. I for one think Coach Kill would excell at broadcasting college football as he is knowledgeable and has a passion for talking about the game.

I think you would get an entertaining coach that would be able to explain some of the intricacies and tendencies of play calling during a broadcast. In my opinion, I think the Big 10 Network would be perfect fit for him with his recent knowledge of the conference, the other coaches, and players, he seems like he would be a perfect fit for it.
He lives in Illinois and the Network is based in Chicago so his commute would not even be that bad.

Maybe he went to the same doctor as Urban Meyer. :)

I really like Jerry Kill. I wish nothing but the best for him. But he does seem like the type of guy who'd say "well, I changed my medicine again and I feel better today, so I should try coaching again!". Then, six months later, when it's not working out either take a leave, quit or get fired. But I hope that's not the case.

I can't honestly imagine any school hiring him to head coach or even high level assistant. Even D3. It costs money to hire a coach (even if you don't use a committee, there are legal reviews of contracts, etc.), why would you do that again right away? Besides, are there any open positions as of today?

He looked so exhausted and fed up when he gave that news conference after the Kent State game where he said "maybe I should be fired tomorrow". That news conference really made me question how long he'd be here (granted, I thought more than a couple weeks or even this season). It looked like it was more than just that game, and obviously it was.

I hope it's in TV or maybe he's going to work for one of those companies that prepares players for the NFL Draft (like Carson Palmer's brother does). Or a recruiting coordinator maybe.

I'll be happy if he gets something that seems like he can handle and makes him happy. If that somehow involves MN (state or the U), great. If not, that's fine too.

I really love coach Kill. I have only met him one time. It was outside of TCF bank stadium just before what ended up being his last game vs Nebraska. He looked really worn out and a lot older than I expected. I hope he finds something he really enjoys doing for the next chapter of his life.

That, if it does happen, is unfortunately his pattern. He gets sick, claims he'll adjust his lifestyle, gets healthy, then goes back to doing what he did before. It's a bad/sad pattern that many of us are familiar with.

I knew I had heard that speech before

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B1HMbvwOf3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He'll be a BCS coach again. Even better, his first presser he will convince everyone that he is accepting the HC job at **SCHOOL NAME** for the players and the school. not the 3.8 mill/yr contract. He'll gather the old coaching crew and state how they righted the ship at MN when they worked together and they can do it at **SCHOOL NAME**.

It is getting a little embarrassing to read how some folks still cling to their daddy surrogate Kill.
Cut the cord. He is gone.

Top Bottom