Coach Ben: Think Jack Wilson getting Edey off his game on Feb. 15

If only Ben would cut Wilson loose. No idea what he's waiting for. Unleash the beast. 2nd half trump card. Secret weapon. Unstoppable genius.
Much like his in-game strategy of falling behind by 15 to lull the opponent into complacency, Ben plays the long-game. Jack will clearly be the beast of March.

Love watching Jack but he will likely have 4 fouls in 2 minutes of action against Edey, even if they aren't actually fouls.
I would think if he did play, he would make sure all were actual HARD fouls. The dream would be Jack taking a charge where Edey bounces off him like hitting a granite statue.

Can you imagine if this game was at the Barn and the first time Jack came into the game? Place would go nuts. Fun having a guy like that on the team. I'm sure he contributes in ways we'll never see.

I think he sees playing time. We don't need Jack to leave his feet, block shots, or strip the basketball from Edey - just hold his ground when Edey does his quick shoulder turn into the chest of the defender (which usually clears enough space for an easy bucket) and make him burn energy to get in position.

Edey plays under 30 minutes per game. If Jack can avoid mistakes there is 5 minutes of playing time in there and if PP gets into early foul trouble Jack could play alot more. Those are the only 2 that I see playing grown-man defense against Edey and we cannot afford for him to throw up 30.

Jack still gives up 25lbs and 6 inches so I have a hard time believing that the refs are going to automatically penalize him for his size.
Zach Edey 7'4" 300lbs, Jack Wilson 6'11" 285lbs, but I don't think Edey could bench press Wilson.

Zach Edey 7'4" 300lbs, Jack Wilson 6'11" 285lbs, but I don't think Edey could bench press Wilson.
Gotta assume both are in the gym on a regular basis. Would be interesting to see what "Max" day looks like for both.

I was in school at the University of Arizona when Lute Olson was getting the program up to speed (in the 80s) and they had a seldom used forward named Jud Buechler who the crowd at McHale often clamored to see on the court. Once he got some playing time, he became a pretty decent rotational player and, I believe he played in the NBA for a time. Maybe Jack just needs an opportunity. Then again, Ben sees him at practice every day ... so maybe we should just "trust the coaches."

I was in school at the University of Arizona when Lute Olson was getting the program up to speed (in the 80s) and they had a seldom used forward named Jud Buechler who the crowd at McHale often clamored to see on the court. Once he got some playing time, he became a pretty decent rotational player and, I believe he played in the NBA for a time. Maybe Jack just needs an opportunity. Then again, Ben sees him at practice every day ... so maybe we should just "trust the coaches."
another new poster?

Bro this Wilson's 6th year in college, if it hasn't happened yet, it ain't gonna happen later.

Welcome! I’d like you to meet Mohamet, jugdish, Sidney annnnnnnd Clayton

MN has needed this type of player for years in the BTN. Reminds me of Julius Peppers from UNC '01 at 6'7" 290lbs dual sport player. He helped that team. Played 15 min, 4-5 reb, 4-5 pts. Jack Wilson moves well and is not clutzy like some huge guys are. He moves with freedom and purpose, can jump. Definitely not a wasted scholarship. Refs seem to have a bias against guys that big, and call fouls on them at a ridiculous rate for minor contact.

Peppers averaged over 7 points per game as a sophomore. Jack has 9 points this season. What in the hell are you talking about?

Peppers averaged over 7 points per game as a sophomore. Jack has 9 points this season. What in the hell are you talking about?
Peppers was a huge football player that occupied the lane, kept opposing bigs from instinctively attacking the rim. He moved well, and having actually seen him play I can attest that despite playing more minutes than Wilson thus far and having a disparity in offensive output, their contribution off the bench to their team’s success could be similar in situational basketball. He can help MN similarly as Peppers helped NC.

Peppers was a huge football player that occupied the lane, kept opposing bigs from instinctively attacking the rim. He moved well, and having actually seen him play I can attest that despite playing more minutes than Wilson thus far and having a disparity in offensive output, their contribution off the bench to their team’s success could be similar in situational basketball. He can help MN similarly as Peppers helped NC.

Wilson doesn’t play for a reason. So either he isn’t good (which is correct) or the coach is incapable of seeing his talent (Johnson is not a good coach but he isn’t an idiot)

Love watching Jack but he will likely have 4 fouls in 2 minutes of action against Edey, even if they aren't actually fouls.
With the refs in tonight's Purdue game Jack might get three from the bench.

Ball goes in to Edey, he sheds three guys in different directions then gets an uncontested dunk. And one. Foul on somebody. Refs need to confer to decide which Northwestern player was closest to him so they can assign the foul.

MN has needed this type of player for years in the BTN. Reminds me of Julius Peppers from UNC '01 at 6'7" 290lbs dual sport player. He helped that team. Played 15 min, 4-5 reb, 4-5 pts. Jack Wilson moves well and is not clutzy like some huge guys are. He moves with freedom and purpose, can jump. Definitely not a wasted scholarship. Refs seem to have a bias against guys that big, and call fouls on them at a ridiculous rate for minor contact.
Comparing him to Julius Peppers might be the greatest take in GH history. And that’s saying a lot.

Wilson is probably the strongest dude EDEY has faced all year. If he can keep EDEY from getting position for 3-4 minute, maybe twice each half, that might be fun to watch.

Wilson is probably the strongest dude EDEY has faced all year. If he can keep EDEY from getting position for 3-4 minute, maybe twice each half, that might be fun to watch.
The problem is the asshat B10 officials will call Big Jack for fouls if his mustache hairs brush Edey's jersey on PUrdue's home court

The problem is the asshat B10 officials will call Big Jack for fouls if his mustache hairs brush Edey's jersey on PUrdue's home court
Jack deserves pretty much every foul he’s gotten this year. He can’t seem to help sticking his leg out when setting a screen or shoving a guy in the back to grab a rebound.
He needs to control himself, wall up, and take up space without being stupid.

Jack deserves pretty much every foul he’s gotten this year. He can’t seem to help sticking his leg out when setting a screen or shoving a guy in the back to grab a rebound.
He needs to control himself, wall up, and take up space without being stupid.
Stupid is what stupid does. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Well that went about exactly as I thought with Wilson. At least he didn’t commit an offensive foul today. Really could’ve used some productive minutes with both bigs in foul trouble.

Top Bottom