Coach Ben: Think Jack Wilson getting Edey off his game on Feb. 15

daveozark

Reaction score
We haven’t seen much of Jack this season, but wouldn’t it be sweet to have our 6’11” 300lb backup center use some of his offensive lineman leverage moves to get Zach away from his usual routine. Jack is fearless and if he doesn’t foul out to soon, could be a factor leading to a Gopher upset. Just planting the seed coach.

We haven’t seen much of Jack this season, but wouldn’t it be sweet to have our 6’11” 300lb backup center use some of his offensive lineman leverage moves to get Zach away from his usual routine. Jack is fearless and if he doesn’t foul out to soon, could be a factor leading to a Gopher upset. Just planting the seed coach.
jack is fearless? about the only thing I've seen is he is well hydrated

If he doesn’t play this game, why did we sign him, just for locker room juju and fun flex pics?

Go Gophers!!

“Hey Ben! Let’s sign this big guy to match up with the Purdue player in the one and only game we face them in. Screw that BS about getting another guard or an actual back up. We’ve been down that road with Charlie and Danny. Heck, we can get him 4 minutes of game time in conference play to prep him”

MN has needed this type of player for years in the BTN. Reminds me of Julius Peppers from UNC '01 at 6'7" 290lbs dual sport player. He helped that team. Played 15 min, 4-5 reb, 4-5 pts. Jack Wilson moves well and is not clutzy like some huge guys are. He moves with freedom and purpose, can jump. Definitely not a wasted scholarship. Refs seem to have a bias against guys that big, and call fouls on them at a ridiculous rate for minor contact.

MN has needed this type of player for years in the BTN. Reminds me of Julius Peppers from UNC '01 at 6'7" 290lbs dual sport player. He helped that team. Played 15 min, 4-5 reb, 4-5 pts. Jack Wilson moves well and is not clutzy like some huge guys are. He moves with freedom and purpose, can jump. Definitely not a wasted scholarship. Refs seem to have a bias against guys that big, and call fouls on them at a ridiculous rate for minor contact.
Per 40

Jack Wilson: 9.3 points 7.5 rebounds, 8.3 fouls 39% shooting, -.28 WS
Julius Peppers: 13.6 points, 9.0 rebounds, 5.0 fouls 60% shooting, 3.5 WS

For Jack Wilson, he is probably closer to Quinn Carroll on the basketball court than Julius Peppers.

Per 40

Jack Wilson: 9.3 points 7.5 rebounds, 8.3 fouls 39% shooting, -.28 WS
Julius Peppers: 13.6 points, 9.0 rebounds, 5.0 fouls 60% shooting, 3.5 WS

For Jack Wilson, he is probably closer to Quinn Carroll on the basketball court than Julius Peppers.
All joking aside, its difficult to say how Wilson would play because he hasn't had any significant PT yet. My point is that he's a big dude from football, can move, jump, and actually play like a few other dual sport guys. I'd like to see more minutes, and have CBJ have him "play lower", meaning slap the floor and use his movement better. I envisioned his high ball screens as brick walls, but thus far not that effective. Big guys like that really can help a team!

All joking aside, its difficult to say how Wilson would play because he hasn't had any significant PT yet. My point is that he's a big dude from football, can move, jump, and actually play like a few other dual sport guys. I'd like to see more minutes, and have CBJ have him "play lower", meaning slap the floor and use his movement better. I envisioned his high ball screens as brick walls, but thus far not that effective. Big guys like that really can help a team!
He didn’t get significant time playing against much lesser competition, does that not tell you anything?

If your argument is, he’s only going to play three minutes, so what the hell, it’s fun. Okay, cool.

There are people on this board that make claims like “he reminds me of Julius peppers”, “we know he is a great practice player”, someone called him unstoppable against Michigan state. That’s absolute insanity.

He didn’t get significant time playing against much lesser competition, does that not tell you anything?

If your argument is, he’s only going to play three minutes, so what the hell, it’s fun. Okay, cool.

There are people on this board that make claims like “he reminds me of Julius peppers”, “we know he is a great practice player”, someone called him unstoppable against Michigan state. That’s absolute insanity.
I'm the genius who called him unstoppable, he's shooting 80% on the season! He's the only guy who can get position in the paint on our team, really a shame we don't get to see him play more. Wish they streamed some practices on Youtube.

Him and Parker Fox would make an interesting backup frontcourt.

Edey would take Jack to school and eat his lunch. He would likely get him to buy the little head fakes, do the step-around, and his nifty little jump hook. Wouldn’t be surprised if Wilson does see minutes in the Purdue game because Payne may well get it foul trouble trying to defend Edey as well, but Jack is no match for the reigning player of the year.

Hopefully the refs will allow these 2 bigs a little pushing and shoving before they start calling fouls. If Jack can wear Edey down just a little, that would be a victory.

Love watching Jack but he will likely have 4 fouls in 2 minutes of action against Edey, even if they aren't actually fouls.
Sadly, that is probably true. Refs are biased against huge dudes. Big guys also have freedom of movement! Defensively, if Wilson exerted the same energy that Carrington does, the whole lane area would look like a bucket spare in bowling!

I use an iPad for this site, and the pop up ads make the site almost impossible to use. Any suggestions?

I use an iPad for this site, and the pop up ads make the site almost impossible to use. Any suggestions?
Download Adblock and use safari. DM me if you have any questions.

I offer to run the site from my basement for $25 a month. No ads and it will be twice as responsive.

I suppose big Jack does have 5 fouls to give. Assuming he does that Edey would theoretically have a maximum of 15 points off those 5 fouls. What if anything can Big Jack accomplish until he hits those 5 fouls?

I think he sees playing time. We don't need Jack to leave his feet, block shots, or strip the basketball from Edey - just hold his ground when Edey does his quick shoulder turn into the chest of the defender (which usually clears enough space for an easy bucket) and make him burn energy to get in position.

Edey plays under 30 minutes per game. If Jack can avoid mistakes there is 5 minutes of playing time in there and if PP gets into early foul trouble Jack could play alot more. Those are the only 2 that I see playing grown-man defense against Edey and we cannot afford for him to throw up 30.

Jack still gives up 25lbs and 6 inches so I have a hard time believing that the refs are going to automatically penalize him for his size.

Top Bottom