Are you sure?

2017 redshirt
2018 freshman
2019 sophomore
2020 covid
2021 junior
2022 medical redshirt
2023 senior
I think (at least in my day) you had 5 years to play 4. Covid year just doesn't count. He's used a redshirt and the medical redshirt "exception". I don't see how he could come back unless he petitioned the NCAA for a second medical redshirt which RARELY gets granted.

If we need to do play a 6th year senior when we are up 28-0 against a non-competitive team, that is also a problem. Fair to ask why he was in the game.
You want to bench guys in the 2nd quarter?
You don’t want the first team to get real reps of 2 minute offense?

You’ll also be the first guy to complain when we kneel on the ball late in a half someday.

I think because it was mid way through the 2nd quarter and wins aren't guaranteed in the first half in 4 possession games.
No coach should ever take players out before they’ve played on series in the second half. the team has to get practice going into half and coming out of half together.

Hugely critical possessions in close games.

And it was a non contact injury. I suppose he should never practice either?

Are you sure?

2017 redshirt
2018 freshman
2019 sophomore
2020 covid
2021 junior
2022 medical redshirt
2023 senior
This is correct, *if* granted a medical hardship waiver for 2022.

The exact wording of the rule is that you can't participate in more than 3 games. So he should be eligible.

My gut says ACL.

Reasoning: this is one of those things that happens at a higher rate on artificial turf. It's unfortunate. The cleat sticks into the turf with more grip/force than would naturally be possible with real grass. IE, the grass/soil would naturally give/break away when the foot applies that much torque into the ground. Instead, the turf holds strong and the torque has to go somewhere, so it ends up going into the knee joint.

It doesn't look like much on the video, true, but the ACL is a relatively weak ligament. He planted, the knee popped, and that was that. Very painful, which you can see him immediately reaching for it.

Last edited:

It was a perfect opportunity to run the 2-minute offense with the regulars. Not getting why people are questioning why he was in the game and why we were throwing the ball. It's extremely unfortunate what happened, especially because it was a fluky non-contact injury, but that's football for you.

Exactly. Certain fans want it both ways.

Whiny Fan: This is the perfect chance to practice a 2 minute drill so line up and throw!

**do just that and a player gets hurt**

Same Whiny Fan: Why are you having your starters in there to...practice the 2 minute drill?!?! Why would you throw to your number 1 receiver?!?!?!?

You want to bench guys in the 2nd quarter?
You don’t want the first team to get real reps of 2 minute offense?

You’ll also be the first guy to complain when we kneel on the ball late in a half someday.

Some day? Pretty sure he did it last year. Hell he was whining about the Bowling Green game during the bowl game I think...

Good point.
What did you think about Mo getting his 23rd carry of the game in the opening drive of the 2nd half up 35-0?
Wish they stopped getting him carries but with the game flow it was pretty clear they were getting him 200 and then shutting it down.

Again, I don’t know what’s wrong with having a football player play football in the 3rd quarter.

If you have a problem with it you should stop watching football.

Wish they stopped getting him carries but with the game flow it was pretty clear they were getting him 200 and then shutting it down.

Again, I don’t know what’s wrong with having a football player play football in the 3rd quarter.

Same people that want starting pitchers pulled after 80 pitches.

Exactly.

For example, Autman-Bell could just as easily have the exact same injury on the first play of the game, or in practice three weeks ago.

Many years ago, my father tore his Achilles when he decided to sprint across the street, rather than walk, because it was raining hard and he didn't want to get soaking wet.

Football is dangerous, violent and brutal. And, for that matter, life itself is risky.

I am not even sure what you are arguing any more but if it will shut you up I will say this.

You are right! about everything! ever!
Simply going to a gopher football message board to post in a thread about injuries, and ask about player usage in a blowout game. I thought that’s what this was for. Even mentioned people were making good and fair points. But I get it, this is the internet and people are quick to call names, etc.

In any event, we’re all Gophers fans and hope we crush MSU in Sat.

I think (at least in my day) you had 5 years to play 4. Covid year just doesn't count. He's used a redshirt and the medical redshirt "exception". I don't see how he could come back unless he petitioned the NCAA for a second medical redshirt which RARELY gets granted.
I believe you can get both a red shirt and medical red shirt which is how Michael dew treadway had six college seasons without the cover year

No coach should ever take players out before they’ve played on series in the second half. the team has to get practice going into half and coming out of half together.

Hugely critical possessions in close games.

And it was a non contact injury. I suppose he should never practice either?
Still ask why? (Ihope a reporter ask PJ that question in his Monday presser). We already know what he can do. As far as two minute drill, I think he has shown he understands what has to take place. Can’t remember, did we use a two minute in this game?

Still ask why? (Ihope a reporter ask PJ that question in his Monday presser). We already know what he can do. As far as two minute drill, I think he has shown he understands what has to take place. Can’t remember, did we use a two minute in this game?
It's not unreasonable for your starters to be playing in the second quarter.

My gut says ACL.

Reasoning: this is one of those things that happens at a higher rate on artificial turf. It's unfortunate. The cleat sticks into the turf with more grip/force than would naturally be possible with real grass. IE, the grass/soil would naturally give/break away when the foot applies that much torque into the ground. Instead, the turf holds strong and the torque has to go somewhere, so it ends up going into the knee joint.

It doesn't look like much on the video, true, but the ACL is a relatively weak ligament. He planted, the knee popped, and that was that. Very painful, which you can see him immediately reaching for it.
Guessing does no one any good. Waste of time which you will never get back. Let’s wait then you can pontificate.

My gut says ACL.

I agree with your gut on the acl. I do not agree with them being painful. They’re typically more scary than painful.

Data does not support acl injuries being greater on “new age” turf either. Infill allows for it to be more forgiving than older systems. I do not believe you’d have the as many turf systems as you do if the injury rate was incrementally greater.

My gut says ACL.

You may be correct but in my experience the tearing of the ACL is not that painful. The rehab and stuff hurt 10x worse. Torn meniscus have been more painful. Plantar fasciitis was much more painful. Calf cramps hurt more. This is just my experience.

Top Bottom