Chiefs giving off serious Iowa Vibes after last night

Interesting... with the age of my kids I haven't watched as closely in the past. I haven't seen it called yet but guessing you're telling me the truth :)
Every team had a private session with the NFL referees before the first exhibit game and were told this would be emphasized. I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times, and I don't watch that much NFL. I think its great.

I fear the Chiefs are falling into the same trap that the Packers did with Rodgers. With Rodgers, the Packers assumed he could make the subpar receivers that were tossed in there with Davante Adams into above-average WRs/TEs. As good as Rodgers once was, he simply couldn't do that. I'm seeing the same thing from the Chiefs, who outside of Kelce don't have a great receiving corps. Rice may develop, but right now Kelce doesn't seem to have a lot of help. Mahomes is still stellar, but he's having to do a lot by himself.

They got robbed against GB, but yesterday's call was 100% correct. Mahomes should have saved that fit on the sidelines for Toney.

The Chiefs went to the Super Bowl last year on a really close late hit call that some people (incorrectly, IMO) said shouldn't have been made at that time.

Also, the flag was thrown at the snap. Of course, it took the ref half a second, but the play started at 1:25, you can see the flag during Mahomes backpedal at 1:24.

And the Chiefs are an incredibly flawed team on offense. Without Mahomes they are terrible.
It is amazing how much faith they put into Mahomes. They have done nothing to offset the loss of Tyreek Hill. Like you said, outside of Mahomes and Kelce there isn't many good pieces.

Can't stand it when fans of losing teams forget that no game is determined by a single call. What about plays that the losing team did NOT make during the course of the game? Was approached by an irate Iowegian in a San Diego bar last week. I had on a Gopher hoodie and asked him if he knew what Iowa's total offense was in the 2nd half (2 yards) or total rushing yards for the game (11). I had to supply both answers and remind him that the call on DeJean is in the rule book. He went away muttering.

Coaches seem to value speed in a receiver too much and the ability to catch the ball too little. And it helps to recruit players who have the smarts to line up on side.

Men can have a tendency to exaggerate various measurements, but a full yard?

View attachment 28936

Yeah based on that shot I’d say that’s borderline at best. Maybe he’s offsides to where the center has the ball but versus the sideline marker looks aligned, Maybe big toe over.

Last edited:

It is annoying enough when players and coaches go over the top whining about calls that were actually wrong. When the whining goes on about a call that was right, but they just wish they wouldn't have called.

They should have learned from their opponent in last years Super Bowl, James Bradberry. There was a holding call that was labeled controversial, but really shouldn't have been (it was absolutely a hold). Instead of joining in with the fans griping about the call, Bradberry had the character to acknowledge it was right.

Similar to what happened in our game with Cooper DeJean and the Invalid Fair Catch rule being correctly enforced now the Chiefs are up in arms about the refs having the gal to call a WR for clearly lining up in the neutral zone which took away the awesome TD lateral from Kelce to Toney.

If a great play doesn't happen nobody gives these calls a second thought but because something did happen on each play now we end up with fans and talking heads acting like the rules shouldn't be followed. Nevermind the fact that if they don't flag Toney and the Chiefs win the game the Buffalo fans would rightly be having a meltdown about the rule not being enforced.

Complaining about the refs is a tried and true theme for fans when their team loses.....but listening to whiny coaches and players is getting kind of tiring.
Is Andy Reid's kid the OC?
Has ownership said they're not bringing him back next year?

The problem is usually the call is technically correct but not called very often so coaches, players, fans get consditioned a certain way. I mean, I am habituated to seeing guys lining up offensively and defensively past the LOS and it’s not flagged. Defensive guys coming across early is maybe a 50/50 chance of a call, at best.

I remember when the scab officials came in during what 2012 (?) and in many cases started calling games by the book on things like holding and interference and coaches, players, fans went absolutely apeshit. They wanted the “old” way where they “let them play” (until they don’t, on a random basis - or not so random maybe).

The problem is usually the call is technically correct but not called very often so coaches, players, fans get consditioned a certain way. I mean, I am habituated to seeing guys lining up offensively and defensively past the LOS and it’s not flagged. Defensive guys coming across early is maybe a 50/50 chance of a call, at best.

I remember when the scab officials came in during what 2012 (?) and in many cases started calling games by the book on things like holding and interference and coaches, players, fans went absolutely apeshit. They wanted the “old” way where they “let them play” (until they don’t, on a random basis - or not so random maybe).
If you are going to line up offside and hope it doesn't get called, you put yourself at risk for being called at a time that is inconvenient for you (and, has been noted, the flag came out before the ref knew the result of the play). If a car sped past me doing 20 mph over the limit today, doesn't mean I might not get pulled over doing 15 over tomorrow.

For people saying they got robbed against Green Bay, I can only assume they didn't watch the game and only the talking heads spout off. How about a 15 yard "late hit" on Mahomes who was still clearly in bounds on the play? No one seems to realize they missed a 10 second run off after they had a 15 yard penalty on Pacheco on the last drive. It's hilarious that the only missed and blown calls that matter are on the last series of the game. And I'll fully agree the refs were good/consistent until the last drive of that game. Then it was the wild west.

If you are going to line up offside and hope it doesn't get called, you put yourself at risk for being called at a time that is inconvenient for you (and, has been noted, the flag came out before the ref knew the result of the play). If a car sped past me doing 20 mph over the limit today, doesn't mean I might not get pulled over doing 15 over tomorrow.

Yep, what I’m saying. The most charitable explanation for the lack of consistent enforcement of rules is a)desire to keep the game moving or b) poor view of infraction. Nobody knows what the “real” rules are. A moving strike zone would be another analogy. The officials do an absolutely phenomenal view of judging catch versus non-catch, spotting balls it’s almost uncanny. So I’m skeptical they don’t see infractions with 7 guys looking.

Equally or more troublesome than the sins of omission is the erroneous call. Plenty of wierd stuff, unexplainable. Call in Mulder and Scully. This guy compiles such things. Anyone want to explain this stuff?

Mahomes apologized and said he was wrong.

Glad to see it.
Not sure he had much choice in the matter because I haven't really seen anyone saying his reaction or post game comments were justified.....Whole thing made him look like a crybaby with how he reacted.

I think it depends on the severity. In this case, he was over a football length offsides. It wasn't close. But yes, they probably don't call it if it's close.

I think it depends on the severity. In this case, he was over a football length offsides. It wasn't close. But yes, they probably don't call it if it's close.
Yeah....the Chiefs come off pretty pathetic complaining about this particular call because Toney was so clearly lined up in the neutral zone it wasn't in doubt at all. The refs weren't nitpicking, he was clearly lined up wrong.

That would require the ability to think logically.

Anyone who understands the rules and cares about the rules knows that both situations were called correctly.

The Chiefs seemed to be arguing that, yeah, technically he lined up offside, but we shouldn't have our very cool play cancelled because of it!

That's just a laughable argument.

Iowa seemed to be arguing that the call against them was actually wrong.

That's dishonest, and they know it; the call was clearly correct.

I’ll quibble on the length but yep, he was a little offsides. It probably had zero outcome on the play in this case to separate it from the Dejean fake out move.

My frustration generally with the officials and the culture stems from letting much worse infractions go as a habit, then pulling out the flags at random. It leaves me wondering.

I’ll quibble on the length but yep, he was a little offsides. It probably had zero outcome on the play in this case to separate it from the Dejean fake out move.

My frustration generally with the officials and the culture stems from letting much worse infractions go as a habit, then pulling out the flags at random. It leaves me wondering.
He's offsides once he's past the backward part of the football. His foot was not only past the backward tip, it was past the forward tip.

He's offsides once he's past the backward part of the football. His foot was not only past the backward tip, it was past the forward tip.

He’s definitely way into the neutral zone. The centers seem to drag the ball back a bit from the LOS at times though, and I’ve become habituated to seeing all sorts of body parts impinging the neutral zone. Seems like you have to be all the way in or across to get a flag. Definitely a foul, though. Hard to figure how he couldn’t see it. Not a “just the tip” scenario…

Top Bottom