Chiefs giving off serious Iowa Vibes after last night

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Similar to what happened in our game with Cooper DeJean and the Invalid Fair Catch rule being correctly enforced now the Chiefs are up in arms about the refs having the gal to call a WR for clearly lining up in the neutral zone which took away the awesome TD lateral from Kelce to Toney.

If a great play doesn't happen nobody gives these calls a second thought but because something did happen on each play now we end up with fans and talking heads acting like the rules shouldn't be followed. Nevermind the fact that if they don't flag Toney and the Chiefs win the game the Buffalo fans would rightly be having a meltdown about the rule not being enforced.

Complaining about the refs is a tried and true theme for fans when their team loses.....but listening to whiny coaches and players is getting kind of tiring.

Similar to what happened in our game with Cooper DeJean and the Invalid Fair Catch rule being correctly enforced now the Chiefs are up in arms about the refs having the gal to call a WR for clearly lining up in the neutral zone which took away the awesome TD lateral from Kelce to Toney.

If a great play doesn't happen nobody gives these calls a second thought but because something did happen on each play now we end up with fans and talking heads acting like the rules shouldn't be followed. Nevermind the fact that if they don't flag Toney and the Chiefs win the game the Buffalo fans would rightly be having a meltdown about the rule not being enforced.

Complaining about the refs is a tried and true theme for fans when their team loses.....but listening to whiny coaches and players is getting kind of tiring.

I have a lot of respect for Ferentz as a coach and DeJean as a player, but my level of admiration definitely took a sharp downward turn after that incident, after watching how they each spewed utter nonsense and then whined and cried.

Now I'm having the exact same reaction to Mahomes and Reid.

On an offside the flag usually drops at the snap, sounded like the Chiefs thought the refs should wait and see if the play worked or not before throwing the flag, or stop and make sure the guys are lined up correctly.

Bizarre complaint in my opinion.

On an offside the flag usually drops at the snap, sounded like the Chiefs thought the refs should wait and see if the play worked or not before throwing the flag, or stop and make sure the guys are lined up correctly.

Bizarre complaint in my opinion.
I struggle with players and fans pulling the "you can't throw that flag in that situation".....I disagree with that line of thinking. If it is a penalty it's a penalty shouldn't matter if it is the first quarter or the 4th quarter. And personally I'm a big fan of the New Heights podcast that Jason and Travis Kelce do so I would have preferred to see the Chiefs win in general.

But I have zero issues with the refs throwing that flag considering Toney was lined up way offsides....He was looking towards the ball....how he can't tell he is too far forward is beyond me.

I struggle with players and fans pulling the "you can't throw that flag in that situation".....I disagree with that line of thinking. If it is a penalty it's a penalty shouldn't matter if it is the first quarter or the 4th quarter. And personally I'm a big fan of the New Heights podcast that Jason and Travis Kelce do so I would have preferred to see the Chiefs win in general.

But I have zero issues with the refs throwing that flag considering Toney was lined up way offsides....He was looking towards the ball....how he can't tell he is too far forward is beyond me.
I was a WR all through high school, and one of the first things they taught us in freshman football was to check with the ref to make absolutely sure you are on-side. This is basic, tie-your-shoes level fundamentals for any receiver split out in the formation.

It wasn't some guy outside the play, it was the guy who scored the TD.

It tends to be the same guys over and over (Toney) making unforced errors.

Chiefs had much more reason to go nuclear over the missed PI call against Green Bay the prior week.

I was a WR all through high school, and one of the first things they taught us in freshman football was to check with the ref to make absolutely sure you are on-side. This is basic, tie-your-shoes level fundamentals for any receiver split out in the formation.

It wasn't some guy outside the play, it was the guy who scored the TD.

It tends to be the same guys over and over (Toney) making unforced errors.

Chiefs had much more reason to go nuclear over the missed PI call against Green Bay the prior week.
100% on the no call against GB.....that was brutal and should absolutely have been a flag.

Men can have a tendency to exaggerate various measurements, but a full yard?

View attachment 28936
That image really underscores just how big a mental mistake this was by Toney. Obviously they don't have that nice blue line to work off of (that will probably become a thing at some point that they figure out how to display on the field as well as TV)....but good lord he is clearly looking at the ball....somewhere in his head he has to think....."hmmm, I'm even with the football....I might not be in the right place"

I am far from a Chief fan but if you take the last two weeks into account I definitely feel bad for them. Last Sunday in GB the wide receiver was literally tackled on a deep post late in the game. That was a game changing no-call. The counter argument would be they got a free 15 yards on the play before because Mahomes was hit legally. I disagree with those that say it, Mahomes was clearly going out of bounds and his next foot would have been out of bounds. It isn't shocking that the NFL protects it's best players. When your best players (or better) end up injured you get a Vikings/Raiders 3-0 game. Not very exciting.

I watch a lot of football and can't remember the last time I saw them make a call like that. In high school, and I believe college, the ref even gives you a hand signal that says if you are on or off the line.

I am far from a Chief fan but if you take the last two weeks into account I definitely feel bad for them. Last Sunday in GB the wide receiver was literally tackled on a deep post late in the game. That was a game changing no-call. The counter argument would be they got a free 15 yards on the play before because Mahomes was hit legally. I disagree with those that say it, Mahomes was clearly going out of bounds and his next foot would have been out of bounds. It isn't shocking that the NFL protects it's best players. When your best players (or better) end up injured you get a Vikings/Raiders 3-0 game. Not very exciting.

I watch a lot of football and can't remember the last time I saw them make a call like that. In high school, and I believe college, the ref even gives you a hand signal that says if you are on or off the line.
Before feeling too bad for them go back and look at the PI call in their game against the Jets earlier this year.

The fun side note on all this is people in Iowa tend to adopt the Chiefs as their team since they don't have an NFL team of their own to pull for :)
I think it's more accurate to say they adopt whoever is doing the best out of KC, the Vikings and Bears. Some probably figure out a way to weasel the Rams and Cardinals in there too.

Should maybe check for bamboo fibers in the referee’s flag? Maybe that official was really paid by the Chiefs - an actual, dare I say, false-flag incident. I reviewed the film - there is definitely a second flagger on the grassy knoll on the opposite/Bills’ sideline.

Before feeling too bad for them go back and look at the PI call in their game against the Jets earlier this year.
I am sure it was bad. Like I said, I am far from a Chiefs fan. I happened to watch their game vs. GB and they absolutely got robbed in that game.

Your last sentence is generally true, but my understanding is Toney never looked over to the line judge to find out. Just lined up and looked to his right at the ball. I may be wrong, but one of the analysts I heard said that. Also, if he looks at the wide receiver on the other side he can clearly see how much forward he is. To me, this is no different than an illegal formation, too many men in the backfield, call.

The rules analyst on SNF said that it has been a point of emphasis this year and that it's been called a dozen time this year.

That image really underscores just how big a mental mistake this was by Toney. Obviously they don't have that nice blue line to work off of (that will probably become a thing at some point that they figure out how to display on the field as well as TV)....but good lord he is clearly looking at the ball....somewhere in his head he has to think....."hmmm, I'm even with the football....I might not be in the right place"
Even worse, it's not like the play called for him to really get off the line of scrimmage fast or anything. He should know to check with the ref.

The rules analyst on SNF said that it has been a point of emphasis this year and that it's been called a dozen time this year.
Shannon Sharpe had a really good take on it saying that the focus is being put on the wrong place and should be on Toney not the refs. He also talked about how it is on the player to ask not on the refs to tell them when they are lined up offsides.

Mahomes comes out of this looking really bad for the way he carried on about it. Chiefs are a talented team but they need to get their crap together.

The irony in asking for a warning is, if you remember from the Vikings game against them, the refs inexplicably gave one of their players a warning for taking their helmet off when it's normally an automatic penalty.

Shannon Sharpe had a really good take on it saying that the focus is being put on the wrong place and should be on Toney not the refs. He also talked about how it is on the player to ask not on the refs to tell them when they are lined up offsides.

Mahomes comes out of this looking really bad for the way he carried on about it. Chiefs are a talented team but they need to get their crap together.
I have seen it suggested that Mahomes is doing this on purpose to draw attention away from Toney. I don't believe that. I think this is who he is.

Your last sentence is generally true, but my understanding is Toney never looked over to the line judge to find out. Just lined up and looked to his right at the ball. I may be wrong, but one of the analysts I heard said that. Also, if he looks at the wide receiver on the other side he can clearly see how much forward he is. To me, this is no different than an illegal formation, too many men in the backfield, call.
Totally agree with you but the counter argument is both Chiefs tackles were lined up in the backfield. They are no where near the line of scrimmage.

I guess what ultimately makes me mad about this call is the abundance of calls. It had no impact on the play. Tell him "you were too far up, next play move back."

Interesting... with the age of my kids I haven't watched as closely in the past. I haven't seen it called yet but guessing you're telling me the truth :)

Should maybe check for bamboo fibers in the referee’s flag? Maybe that official was really paid by the Chiefs - an actual, dare I say, false-flag incident. I reviewed the film - there is definitely a second flagger on the grassy knoll on the opposite/Bills’ sideline.

The Chiefs should've hired an alternate set of Referees to overrule the call on the field.

Even though there's no real correlation between their new fan and the play on the field, I'm eagerly awaiting the moment when the fanbase collectively turns on their new Yoko.

And the Chiefs are an incredibly flawed team on offense. Without Mahomes they are terrible.

Top Bottom