Cheering For Wins vs. Losses For More Long-Term Success (Brian Dutcher)

Fair enough I just think we're being a little dreamy by acting like we shouldn't question the coaching when you look at the results 7 years under Pitino.

We all like to cheer for the Gophers to win and this year is off to a solid start. I just don't think it's that ridiculous to have this discussion after what I've seen the last 7 years.

If the Gophers do well that's fantastic, but I'd always like to be prepared if things don't go well. Things haven't exactly gone that great over the past 7 years, as I said, so maybe there's a little more reason to be prepared.

I would agree that cheering for losses is a ridiculous thing, it's just that if we don't have full confidence in the AD letting the coach go if it could go either way, when the team loses more it makes it more of a layup for the AD to say "Oh, I need to hire a new guy." I don't think Coyle is that naive but there are plenty of ADs out there who are.
Coyle has his list - at all times - remember?

Coyle punted last spring. Chips will now fall where they may.

I think Pitino should have been fired two years ago, but I’m still cheering for wins. Look at the schedule- it’s entirely possible this team may start 0-8 in conference. Either they win, and I’m happy they’re winning. Or they lose a bunch, and Pitino is gone, and I’m happy he’s gone. The only way we don’t come out ahead on this is if they stink and he doesn’t get fired because Coyle can hide behind the COVID thing.

There was another post on the exact same topic just a week or two ago. And during the season just about every thread turns into a bash our coach thread with the same circle of haters just going on and on about it.

We have gone over this ad nauseam.

It is early in a very tough year, with a team that is still undefeated even though they have six new players and many were not able to practice together in the off season. We have a lot of potential on this team, young talent, very good transfers. Just like with all basketball teams, there are high points and low points and lots of excitement and they have found a way to win.

You can't come onto GH without some thread talking about who the next coach should be or how crapy this is or that is.... You are free to discuss what ever you want, but how about showing some support for your team?
Fair enough it's a good team. Very talented players. Looked great against UMKC. I just like Dutcher.

I haven't been on the page much over the last month or so but understandable.

Haha I understand this thread has turned into a thinking that I'm very negative on the Gophers. I really like their team this year. I just haven't seen sustainability/consistency from Pitino through the years. I am also very high on Dutcher.

I'm not looking to turn this into a "I hope the Gophers lose" thread and it feels as though that's the way it's turned. Just opening some dialogue which sounds as though it's been harped on in multiple threads.

Fair enough I just think we're being a little dreamy by acting like we shouldn't question the coaching when you look at the results 7 years under Pitino.

We all like to cheer for the Gophers to win and this year is off to a solid start. I just don't think it's that ridiculous to have this discussion after what I've seen the last 7 years.

If the Gophers do well that's fantastic, but I'd always like to be prepared if things don't go well. Things haven't exactly gone that great over the past 7 years, as I said, so maybe there's a little more reason to be prepared.

I would agree that cheering for losses is a ridiculous thing, it's just that if we don't have full confidence in the AD letting the coach go if it could go either way, when the team loses more it makes it more of a layup for the AD to say "Oh, I need to hire a new guy." I don't think Coyle is that naive but there are plenty of ADs out there who are.

Not saying necessarily you, but there are certainly posters who would like pitino replaced yesterday. To each his own, but i think some of us would prefer to wait until season end before "who will be our next coach" discussions. Wouldnt surprise me if this is an outstanding season. Time will tell :).

Last edited:

I just don't think he'd ever come out and say he'd rather coach at the U of M when he's the current head coach at San Diego St. His contract language speaks for itself with a million dollar buyout for only the U of M. 6-7 million dollar buyout for all other schools.

I could understand the case that he just stays at San Diego St long term.

Yeah I don’t think he ever leaves SDSU. It’s an interesting wrinkle in the contract though no doubt.

Interesting question. After the football game today, an ad came on from the U with Mark Coyle asking for donations and it quotes him saying "I didn't come here to go .500". Well Pitino has been below .500 in 6/7 seasons and Coyle was very clear in his remarks this past Spring in announcing Pitino was staying that we "expect to compete for championships".

I choose to take him at his word. I choose to believe that if we go 10-10 in conference play and don't make some deep run in the NCAA's, that the 8 year body of work will scream "time to make a change".

However, if you told me that Coyle would kick the can down the road if the Gophers finished 10-10 and allow Pitino to continue, then I would actively root for a loss if we were 9-10 going in to that final conference game.

I watched SDSU after Minnesota on FS1 the other night and was impressed with what I saw. Dutcher had a kid go round 1 (Malachi Flynn) and is still back this year beating UCLA and Arizona State. I'd definitely be on board with him becoming the next Gopher coach.

Top Bottom