Cheering For Wins vs. Losses For More Long-Term Success (Brian Dutcher)

skiumah1

Reaction score
I'm looking for Gopher Ws at this point, but knowing that Brian Dutcher at San Diego State has made it pretty clear that he wants to coach at the U (Link Below), I would like to get him in here as soon as possible. I think Pitino has done a great job assembling a talented roster, it's just clear that he isn't a great true game basketball coach when I watch the guys play together. I understand we're 5-0 and I do think maybe they can get clicking and playing better basketball the more the wins pile up, I'm just not very impressed with how we've looked so far. It's similar to how we always look under Pitino. Not making the hustle plays consistently, questionable timeouts, situational basketball, etc.

Dutcher is doing a fantastic job at San Diego State and they're off to a great start again this year (4-0 w/ W over UCLA). They were set to be either a 1 or a 2 seed in the tournament last year. I want this guy here ASAP as, like I said, it's clear in my mind he's a better basketball coach than Richard Pitino. He can recruit as well.

San Diego State (24) takes on Arizona St (23) tonight at 9 PM CT on FSI for anyone interested.

Curious what others thoughts are on this. Is there anything that resonates with my outlook here? I am a big-time Gopher Hoops fan so I'm not trying to bring negativity in here.

Always cheer for wins. I’ll never understand actively rooting for your team to be bad. If they win a lot, you’re happy. If they don’t win a lot, you hope that the higher-ups have high expectations as well and are willing to fire for mediocrity. But actively wanting the team to do bad makes the season miserable, takes all joy out of watching basketball, and goes against every instinct I have about being a fan of a team.

Always cheer for wins. I’ll never understand actively rooting for your team to be bad. If they win a lot, you’re happy. If they don’t win a lot, you hope that the higher-ups have high expectations as well and are willing to fire for mediocrity. But actively wanting the team to do bad makes the season miserable, takes all joy out of watching basketball, and goes against every instinct I have about being a fan of a team.
I feel the same way it's just difficult for me to watch the team under Pitino as there are too many moments when I feel like he's not getting the most out of them. It seems like Coyle is the go-getter, competent AD who understands this but maybe that's just a hunch.

I gotta be on board though I agree. However, I think there's gotta be a point when it seems fair to jump off off the bandwagon for the betterment of the team long-term.
I do hope this team continues to grow and get better though. It's a talented, deep group of players. I'm not feeling that's where we're headed this year though, at least not yet.

I think it is pretty clear Pitino is not the guy. Here we are in year 8(?) hoping we can crack 10th place in the conference. Not like we can drop much further in the conference. You can't say Pitino hasn't been given a fair shake.

Having said that, I don't think Coyle would have the balls to fire him in the current environment we are in with the pandemic. Paying a multi million buy-out when you just cut a bunch of sports programs would not go over well....

I feel the same way it's just difficult for me to watch the team under Pitino as there are too many moments when I feel like he's not getting the most out of them. It seems like Coyle is the go-getter, competent AD who understands this but maybe that's just a hunch.

I gotta be on board though I agree. However, I think there's gotta be a point when it seems fair to jump off off the bandwagon for the betterment of the team long-term.
I do hope this team continues to grow and get better though. It's a talented, deep group of players. I'm not feeling that's where we're headed this year though, at least not yet.
I think if you ever feel like you need to cheer for losses in order for the team to be better long term, your issue should be with the AD rather than the coach. If there truly is no path to being successful under the current coach, the AD should recognize that and go in a different direction. Until that happens, I’m going to hope that things turn around and cheer for the gophers to win every game. If a new coach is hired, I’ll continue doing the same thing.

I think it is pretty clear Pitino is not the guy. Here we are in year 8(?) hoping we can crack 10th place in the conference. Not like we can drop much further in the conference. You can't say Pitino hasn't been given a fair shake.

Having said that, I don't think Coyle would have the balls to fire him in the current environment we are in with the pandemic. Paying a multi million buy-out when you just cut a bunch of sports programs would not go over well....
I think the buyout is relatively cheap for Pitino right now? Looks like it's 1.75 million through April 30, 2021. Not sure what it is after that. Probably drops to 1.5 or something.

The article I posted above also explains how Dutcher set up his contract where for the University of Minnesota only, the buyout is $1 Million. It's about $7 Million for all other schools that potentially want to poach Dutcher out of San Diego.

I may also be wrong but I believe boosters are a big part of where this money comes from?

I think if you ever feel like you need to cheer for losses in order for the team to be better long term, your issue should be with the AD rather than the coach. If there truly is no path to being successful under the current coach, the AD should recognize that and go in a different direction. Until that happens, I’m going to hope that things turn around and cheer for the gophers to win every game. If a new coach is hired, I’ll continue doing the same thing.
Part of me thinks Coyle knows Pitino isn't the guy but the COVID situation is having an impact here.

I wish I had your outlook on it and I think it is the right one, it's tough though.

Part of me thinks Coyle knows Pitino isn't the guy but the COVID situation is having an impact here.

I wish I had your outlook on it and I think it is the right one, it's tough though.
Not sure if it’s the right one, but it’s the one that makes watching sports enjoyable for me, so it’s what I’m going to do.

I think the buyout is relatively cheap for Pitino right now? Looks like it's 1.75 million through April 30, 2021. Not sure what it is after that. Probably drops to 1.5 or something.

The article I posted above also explains how Dutcher set up his contract where for the University of Minnesota only, the buyout is $1 Million. It's about $7 Million for all other schools that potentially want to poach Dutcher out of San Diego.

I may also be wrong but I believe boosters are a big part of where this money comes from?

Didn't they just cut men's gymnastics to save like 1.8M or something? If we are serious about being a good basketball team we need to take the leap, but that is not going to be a good PR look

If Pitino gets fired after this season, I hope they choose a better replacement than a 61 year old who is only in his 4th season as a head coach, and inherited a really good situation in a significantly easier conference than the B1G.

Didn't they just cut men's gymnastics to save like 1.8M or something? If we are serious about being a good basketball team we need to take the leap, but that is not going to be a good PR look
Unfortunately, I think this means Pitino is here next year no matter what. Even though his buyout is tiny, it'll still look bad relative to the cuts that were made the local media will have a field day.

If Pitino gets fired after this season, I hope they choose a better replacement than a 61 year old who is only in his 4th season as a head coach, and inherited a really good situation in a significantly easier conference than the B1G.

Basketball coaches regularly coach into their 70s. If he has a good staff around him, I don't have a problem with someone like Dutcher coming in.

That said, I'd be shocked if Pitino is gone after this year given all the budget issues. It would have to be a total dud of a year (like 3-4 wins in conference, IMO).

I would think if a coaching change is made that Brian Dutcher wouldn’t be at the top of the list as a replacement.

Nothing against Dutcher just think Coyle would look for someone younger.

Basketball coaches regularly coach into their 70s. If he has a good staff around him, I don't have a problem with someone like Dutcher coming in.

That said, I'd be shocked if Pitino is gone after this year given all the budget issues. It would have to be a total dud of a year (like 3-4 wins in conference, IMO).
Think he will win the job anyway. But if not, i can not see doing the buyout. Big givers have cut way back.

Always cheer for wins. There are a laundry list of situations where an anticipated head coaching replacement did not soar as anticipated-great example in our own program when Tubby Smith came over from Kentucky.

Post of the week.

Last edited:

Agreed on both.

I really think Dutcher would be my No. 1. Clearly that's not shared amongst the majority.

I’ve never rooted against the Gophers. I never will. I want them to win every single game in every single sport. If it doesn’t go well and a new coach comes in, I want them to win every single game. It’s how I’m wired.

I remember watching Glen Mason’s last game. I said he’d be fired. He was. That killed that program for years. Would a coach do better than Richard? Probably. But I won’t root for a change. Ever.

I’ve never rooted against the Gophers. I never will. I want them to win every single game in every single sport. If it doesn’t go well and a new coach comes in, I want them to win every single game. It’s how I’m wired.

I remember watching Glen Mason’s last game. I said he’d be fired. He was. That killed that program for years. Would a coach do better than Richard? Probably. But I won’t root for a change. Ever.
Overall I'm with ya and always have been. I just don't remember a situation where a guy like Dutcher has made it clear the U is where he wants to be whether it's U football or basketball. He's a big-time coach in my mind. I understand it's completely different if you don't think much of Dutcher.

I've seen 8 years of Pitino now and I feel like we generally know what he's gonna give us. Maybe not. You never know.

In the end I am just a fan so I'll cheer for 'em to win.

I like Dutcher fairly well. I watched the beginning of the SanDiego St. vs Arizona St game and was telling my wife that the Gophers look they are stuck in place compared to both of those teams because they play so fast and have shooters with lightning quick releases. SDST plays such a different style and it would be interstellar to see that brought to the B1G. B1G teams would crush SDST on the glass but a Dutcher team in their current mold might be able to outrun/out shoot the B1G teams. I think if you had a rim runner/protector that can shoot a little bit it would be a really fun team to watch. SDST sort of reminded me of a faster but less talented Iowa. But man we’re those two teams fast.

The decision isn't going to made prior to season's end. I think two factors change the landscape...
1. Does Holmgren say he's going to be a Gopher? If so, Richard has a job. 2. OR, Do we finish top 7ish in the conference? Hard to see a change being made if so.
And random possibilities: How does the team look going forward minus Carr? (How big a factor is Carr in our success? It has been diminishing, I'd say) Is there optimism? Is Mutaf, Richard's savior? ;)

Just listened to Dutcher on Tim Miles podcast. I highly highly doubt he'd leave SDSU for the U. He kept it as an option, but he isn't coming here unless his kids/grandkids are here and his wife pushes for it. His wife likes San Diego and he said in the article that if you take a job, take the best job in the conference. The U is not a top half job in our conference at this time. He'd do well here and be amazing, but just wouldn't hold my breath if this job opens up (which I almost think is even less likely)

Cheer for wins and if Pitino wins we all win. If he wins he might become a candidate for another job, maybe his dream job and we get a new coach that way. I want us to win and things will work out.

Just listened to Dutcher on Tim Miles podcast. I highly highly doubt he'd leave SDSU for the U. He kept it as an option, but he isn't coming here unless his kids/grandkids are here and his wife pushes for it. His wife likes San Diego and he said in the article that if you take a job, take the best job in the conference. The U is not a top half job in our conference at this time. He'd do well here and be amazing, but just wouldn't hold my breath if this job opens up (which I almost think is even less likely)
I just don't think he'd ever come out and say he'd rather coach at the U of M when he's the current head coach at San Diego St. His contract language speaks for itself with a million dollar buyout for only the U of M. 6-7 million dollar buyout for all other schools.

I could understand the case that he just stays at San Diego St long term.

Just give it a fckg rest!

What a fanbase.
The whole point is discussion. If your team makes the NCAA tournament 2 out of 7 years and averages finishing in the bottom 4 of the conference, isn't it worth it to at least question if you have the right guy? That's what we get to do as fans.

Ridiculous thread. My 2 cents.
Fair enough I just think we're being a little dreamy by acting like we shouldn't question the coaching when you look at the results 7 years under Pitino.

We all like to cheer for the Gophers to win and this year is off to a solid start. I just don't think it's that ridiculous to have this discussion after what I've seen the last 7 years.

If the Gophers do well that's fantastic, but I'd always like to be prepared if things don't go well. Things haven't exactly gone that great over the past 7 years, as I said, so maybe there's a little more reason to be prepared.

I would agree that cheering for losses is a ridiculous thing, it's just that if we don't have full confidence in the AD letting the coach go if it could go either way, when the team loses more it makes it more of a layup for the AD to say "Oh, I need to hire a new guy." I don't think Coyle is that naive but there are plenty of ADs out there who are.

Fair enough I just think we're being a little dreamy by acting like we shouldn't question the coaching when you look at the results 7 years under Pitino.

We all like to cheer for the Gophers to win and this year is off to a solid start. I just don't think it's that ridiculous to have this discussion after what I've seen the last 7 years.

If the Gophers do well that's fantastic, but I'd always like to be prepared if things don't go well. Things haven't exactly gone that great over the past 7 years, as I said, so maybe there's a little more reason to be prepared.

I would agree that cheering for losses is a ridiculous thing, it's just that if we don't have full confidence in the AD letting the coach go if it could go either way, when the team loses more it makes it more of a layup for the AD to say "Oh, I need to hire a new guy." I don't think Coyle is that naive but there are plenty of ADs out there who are.

There was another post on the exact same topic just a week or two ago. And during the season just about every thread turns into a bash our coach thread with the same circle of haters just going on and on about it.

We have gone over this ad nauseam.

It is early in a very tough year, with a team that is still undefeated even though they have six new players and many were not able to practice together in the off season. We have a lot of potential on this team, young talent, very good transfers. Just like with all basketball teams, there are high points and low points and lots of excitement and they have found a way to win.

You can't come onto GH without some thread talking about who the next coach should be or how crapy this is or that is.... You are free to discuss what ever you want, but how about showing some support for your team?

Top Bottom