Casey Thompson Yammering

The only thing that will curb the NIL and the disproportionate amount of $$$ that will go to recruits is unintended consequences.

People throwing millions at players only to see them not meet expectations will be a first blow back point. Are people who are dumping this money going to be happy with continuing to do so when results aren't achieved?

Why would you throw that much money at a person who plays a game? Are you okay doing so and in the end you still get beat by Alabama and Georgia? Then whose fault is it? Coach.
So then you're going to fire your coach and pay a new coach more to try and get better results. IF one out of 10 schools are successful at winning a national title, there are 9 of those ten who failed at it.

NIL winners and losers will also depend on the culture of the States that host these teams. Are you more proud of your state for it's football team or are you more proud of your state for it's education system or healthcare system?

I really don't see this being an area where we ever even strive to compete. Most Minnesotans have what I'd argue is a proper perspective on this. Where you are not going to change the perception, is in the south. They'll play until they have all played the NIL game until exhaustion and lost.

How much more are you going to continue to throw at college athletes when in the end you still end up playing Purdue in a bowl game and lose?

TBH I think Martinez was better than this guy. They don't exactly play defense in the Big 12-2, and this guy somehow lost to Kansas, despite all of the built in advantages in Austin
I don't know much about Thompson, but the "Big 12 plays no defense" is a really outdated myth.

Is it? I mean if you consider physically having 11 guys on the field per snap, then I guess.....
OSU, Baylor, Iowa State, K-state, West Virginia all had pretty good defenses last year. Yes it is outdated thinking, this isn't 2007 anymore.

OSU, Baylor, Iowa State, K-state, West Virginia all had pretty good defenses last year. Yes it is outdated thinking, this isn't 2007 anymore.
LOL sure bud, I about spit on my drink when you said WVU had a good defense last year, thanks for the laughs

LOL sure bud, I about spit on my drink when you said WVU had a good defense last year, thanks for the laughs
I mean nobody is confusing them with Georgia but I think people still have this picture in their mind that the B12 is full of these 50+ point games and that's not really the case anymore.

There aren’t ma y NIL rules, but there are a few. This is one.
I don't know much about Thompson, but the "Big 12 plays no defense" is a really outdated myth.
Martinez is bigger and stronger. That is why year and in and year out Martinez was Nebraska’s leading or #2 rusher. If Thompson isn’t as strong, shifty and durable runner as Martinez, then he better be a much better passer … or Nebraska better find some dominant running backs.

I mean nobody is confusing them with Georgia but I think people still have this picture in their mind that the B12 is full of these 50+ point games and that's not really the case anymore.
they've improved to having the occasional 40 point game instead

It's safe to assume that NIL dollars will mostly go to male athletes. I wonder if there will be protests from the Title IX crowd?
I am sure that there may be complaints if the dollars end up being distributed unequally, but the money isn't coming from the schools. Indeed, the NCAA has tried to make it clear that schools aren't to have any role in negotiating the agreements, so the institutions shouldn't have any Title IX concerns unless they block NIL deals for women in a different way or at a different rate than they do for the men.

I am sure that there may be complaints if the dollars end up being distributed unequally, but the money isn't coming from the schools. Indeed, the NCAA has tried to make it clear that schools aren't to have any role in negotiating the agreements, so the institutions shouldn't have any Title IX concerns unless they block NIL deals for women in a different way or at a different rate than they do for the men.
Yeah, there is zero doubt where the bulk of NIL money is going to go. And it isn't just a male/female thing either. Football and Men's basketball will be the places where the stupid money gets thrown around and maybe to a lesser degree Men's Hockey. Outside of those 3 the dollars will most likely be pretty minimal for the remainder of the sports and NIL will actually be used the way it was intended to be used.

Yeah, there is zero doubt where the bulk of NIL money is going to go. And it isn't just a male/female thing either. Football and Men's basketball will be the places where the stupid money gets thrown around and maybe to a lesser degree Men's Hockey. Outside of those 3 the dollars will most likely be pretty minimal for the remainder of the sports and NIL will actually be used the way it was intended to be used.
And for those other sports there have been some early indications that women will actually do better than the men because they tend to be more active on social media and have more followers.

It's safe to assume that NIL dollars will mostly go to male athletes. I wonder if there will be protests from the Title IX crowd?
hard to say. Bueckers (Uconn), Clark (Iowa), and whatever those twins from Fresno State are named have all signed massive NIL deals. Many female athletes have huge Instagram and Tiktok followings (for an array of reasons, which is more a comment on our current society than anything else) and have signed big deals for that reason. But I'd guess the mid-tier female athletes will by and large get next to nothing, even at big programs.

NIL is purely a private sector thing, completely outside the benefits provided by the schools. Schools which in turn receive federal dollars, even private schools, because of FAFSA, and thus why their programs are regulated by Title IX.

Any student at any school, athlete, musician, scientist, whatever, can always go out and try to sign a private endorsement contract as they are able. Such things have nothing to do with the school.

EDIT: the one caveat here being, I can't remember if it has been clarified if the Image/Likeness bits are allowed to include the school uniform/name/branding? I would guess not, but also not sure at all.

This kid ran from competition. He actually hit the portal several times during his time at Texas, only to stick around until Ewers came on campus. The NIL money at Texas is already ridiculous, and will only grow.

Hard to imagine anyone gets anywhere arguing Tittle IX, outside of a school violating the rules and actually directing NIL dollars ... the system as it stands seems pretty Tittle IX proof.

Hard to imagine anyone gets anywhere arguing Tittle IX, outside of a school violating the rules and actually directing NIL dollars ... the system as it stands seems pretty Tittle IX proof.
Yep, as long as the schools aren't brokering the deals than I don't think Title IX or any other gender equity rules in athletics could come into play.

Yep, as long as the schools aren't brokering the deals than I don't think Title IX or any other gender equity rules in athletics could come into play.
Makes sense. If the ladies want some of the NIL dollars, find their own corporate sponsors.

Makes sense. If the ladies want some of the NIL dollars, find their own corporate sponsors.
Of course what you say makes 100% perfect sense, but unfortunately we live in strange times. There is already a slow drum beating towards complaining about racial/gender inequality in NIL profits, athletic sponsorships, etc. There will be Title IX issues with the NCAA helping to "promote" gender, racial, and probably sexual orientation inequalities. I'm not sure what insane solution they'll try to come up but the Title IX folks are incapable of staying out of this.

Last edited:

Of course what you say makes 100% perfect sense, but unfortunately we live in strange times. There is already a slow drum towards complaining about racial/gender inequality in NIL profits, athletic sponsorships, etc. There will be Title IC issues with the NCAA helping to "promote" gender, racial, and probably sexual orientation inequalities. I'm not sure what insane solution they'll try to come up but the Title IX folks are incapable of staying out of this.
The folks complaining about it could always provide some sort of NIL deal for whatever groups they want, but that would make too much sense.

The folks complaining about it could always provide some sort of NIL deal for whatever groups they want, but that would make too much sense.
Those types aren't often very generous with their own money.

I don’t think people who want it regulated realize why it is currently unregulated.

Because they can’t regulate it without violating multiple state laws and anti-trust statutes.

So they basically need an act of Congress to regulate at all. A state legislature could regulate for their state, but if you regulate your state and nobody else does…you just put your state schools at a disadvantage.

Exactly, they have been fing the athletes for decades.

Top Bottom