Casey Thompson Yammering

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score

Easy to make six figures playing for Scott Frost? If Frost continues to lose with highly-paid mercenaries, how will the Nebraska loyalists feel?

1. there's no way that only 3 players had 3 cars. Just nonsense. On top of that, there's already been published articles that multiple players have been given cars as NIL payment since it started.
2. so let's say every starter gets 100k which comes out to 2.2mil. Only 700k a win. Definitely worth the money I'm sure

“6 figures as a starter at Nebraska?!” 😲

What do players make here? Do we have the support around the program to keep up?

Players are going to ruin this for themselves. Dumb kids.

Because of social media posts like these, NIL will be stripped down massively.
Genie is out of the bottle at this point, going to be really hard to put it back. As long as there are boosters out there willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of money there isn't going to be much anyone can do about it.

It will be interesting to see if Nebraska can buy their way back into relevance. Just having the highest paid players won't be enough, have to have the right guys.

And frankly, I'm glad we don't have the kind of program that would appeal to a kid like Thompson who clearly could give a crap about the team and is just out for the money and stuff.

Just pay the players.

Every school pays students as various workers (landscaping, dining hall, etc.). It's the same damn thing.

You can update the rules to limit roster sizes to X players who receive any amount of money from the school and/or NIL deals (everything has to be reported, including value of in-kind deals), plus Y more who don't receive anything ("walkons").

Get it out in the open how much total dollars each school's rosters are getting.

Just pay the players.

Every school pays students as various workers (landscaping, dining hall, etc.). It's the same damn thing.

You can update the rules to limit roster sizes to X players who receive any amount of money from the school and/or NIL deals (everything has to be reported, including value of in-kind deals), plus Y more who don't receive anything ("walkons").

Get it out in the open how much total dollars each school's rosters are getting.
Why go through the trouble when they can just let NIL handle it for them? The athletes just out for the money can go to the place paying the highest amount and the rest will make their decisions based on other factors.

Having to pay all athletes would be very difficult for a lot of athletic departments to manage

Why go through the trouble when they can just let NIL handle it for them? The athletes just out for the money can go to the place paying the highest amount and the rest will make their decisions based on other factors.

Having to pay all athletes would be very difficult for a lot of athletic departments to manage
I don't think they would "have" to pay any athlete. Currently the athletic dept pays the school for every dollar of the scholarships that have been given. It's not like the school just waives tuition, fees, costs of room & board. It's real dollars that get shuffled back and forth.

So, any athlete getting a full scholarship now, maybe just gets paid $35k or something like this. And so on. Not every athlete now gets a scholarship.

NIL is a bonus, for those players that can get it. Which is roughly the same as it is now.

At the end of the day, it's a lot of the same dollars in the overall thing. Because a lot of NIL deals are not bonafide offers from businesses looking to use an athlete's NIL for marketing. Some are, but I suspect a lot are "on paper" only as ways of simply funneling money above table.

So instead of doing that on paper deal, the booster could directly fund the athlete's salary through the athletic dept. Seems more legit and above board to me. Then NIL could be reserved strictly for bonafide marketing deals with actual companies.

I don't think they would "have" to pay any athlete. Currently the athletic dept pays the school for every dollar of the scholarships that have been given. It's not like the school just waives tuition, fees, costs of room & board. It's real dollars that get shuffled back and forth.

So, any athlete getting a full scholarship now, maybe just gets paid $35k or something like this. And so on. Not every athlete now gets a scholarship.

NIL is a bonus, for those players that can get it. Which is roughly the same as it is now.

At the end of the day, it's a lot of the same dollars in the overall thing. Because a lot of NIL deals are not bonafide offers from businesses looking to use an athlete's NIL for marketing. Some are, but I suspect a lot are "on paper" only as ways of simply funneling money above table.

So instead of doing that on paper deal, the booster could directly fund the athlete's salary through the athletic dept. Seems more legit and above board to me. Then NIL could be reserved strictly for bonafide marketing deals with actual companies.
Don't really disagree with anything you are saying but also don't see it ever happening.

I think that after a few years of watching the results of stocking football teams at key positions with paid mercenaries like Thompson, boosters might lose enthusiasm. In the SEC there is a fleet of paid mercenaries on the top teams. So equality, in a sense. What if at Nebraska, the QB automatically gets $100K+ but OL staters get a pittance or nothing from NIL. That dynamic could work against teamwork in some subtle psychological way. Love to see the Thompson situation blow up for Frost. And what if Frost wants to play Chubba Purdy instead of Thompson? Do the boosters who are shoveling 100K+ to Thompson rebel?

I think that after a few years of watching the results of stocking football teams at key positions with paid mercenaries like Thompson, boosters might lose enthusiasm. In the SEC there is a fleet of paid mercenaries on the top teams. So equality, in a sense. What if at Nebraska, the QB automatically gets $100K+ but OL staters get a pittance or nothing from NIL. That dynamic could work against teamwork in some subtle psychological way. Love to see the Thompson situation blow up for Frost. And what if Frost wants to play Chubba Purdy instead of Thompson? Do the boosters who are shoveling 100K+ to Thompson rebel?
would imagine it's going to really shift power to boosters in a way that coaches who rely on NIL are not going to like.

would imagine it's going to really shift power to boosters in a way that coaches who rely on NIL are not going to like.
Could happen. In the past, bagmen men were greasy, sneaky rule breakers who had to operate furtively in the background for fear of provoking sanctions. Now that a basically unregulated NIL regime has combined with modestly-creative lawyering to create a system in which boosters can openly shovel unlimited amounts to players on the pretext of using the players’ images for commercial purposes, the boosters are going to want to have a more visible role and bragging rights.

And the coaches, like Frost, who appear to be working hand-in-hand with boosters to use NIL for recruiting (although, as a third-party payment for the players’ image, NIL isn’t supposed to be tied to recruiting, or be pay-for-play) will have to answer to those newly-empowered boosters down the road. For the booster-run NIL money machines (Texas A&M et al.), this drama will be the new sideshow in college football … if it doesn’t kill college football.

Could happen. In the past, bagmen men were greasy, sneaky rule breakers who had to operate furtively in the background for fear of provoking sanctions. Now that a basically unregulated NIL regime has combined with modestly-creative lawyering to create a system in which boosters can openly shovel unlimited amounts to players on the pretext of using the players’ images for commercial purposes, the boosters are going to want to have a more visible role and bragging rights.

And the coaches, like Frost, who appear to be working hand-in-hand with boosters to use NIL for recruiting (although, as a third-party payment for the players’ image, NIL isn’t supposed to be tied to recruiting, or be pay-for-play) will have to answer to those newly-empowered boosters down the road. For the booster-run NIL money machines (Texas A&M et al.), this drama will be the new sideshow in college football … if it doesn’t kill college football.
Bolded: not saying you're outright wrong. But would encourage you to read the following 2014 behind-the-scenes (but obviously still anonymous) piece on SEC bagmen: https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

It's long, but a fun and interesting read. Of course, not claiming that they're all like this at all schools.

Easy to make six figures playing for Scott Frost? If Frost continues to lose with highly-paid mercenaries, how will the Nebraska loyalists feel?

Wasn't former Gopher head coach Cal Stoll quoted one time as he brought the Gophers to Nebraska nearly 1/2 century ago for a clash of Big 10 vs. Big 8 teams... it was a Friday, the day of the walkthrough before the Saturday game... and the rickety, old Gopher team bus rolled past the Nebraska players' parking lot. Coach Stoll allegedly looked out the bus window and noticed a full Cornhuskers parking lot with nothing but fancy, high end, sports cars, and said something to the effect that, "tomorrow is going to be a long day"

So Nebraska has been doing things 'right' for a long time ;)

Going to be interesting. The players have the Supreme Court on their side, the schools are going to try and hold everything together with scotch tape. Then you have the Yankees in football along the likes of the Oakland A's. The Yankees are going to have a huge carrot on the end of their sticks where kids are going to see money that they have never seen before. If they don't make it to the NFL, then they have a good start in life if they are sensible with their money.

Having said all that, players are going to be comparing what they got with others that may cause some friction in the locker room. Money as we know is the root of all evil.

Lastly, they need a coach who doesn’t ☃️ melt in close games. Nebby had the most one score losses in a season, last year, for any P5 team in history ( since that designation became a thing).
culture ands hoodies matter

The thing that's possibly dangerous in my opinion with the idea that the (big) money college players are making is coming solely/vastly from their NIL deals relative to the value of a scholarship (or none at all) from the school is if the boosters start having a direct say in how much "their kid" plays and/or how many plays are called "for" their guys.

In the NFL, players can certainly do NIL deals on the side, but their main money comes from the team and the team retains 100% control over who plays and what plays are called to feature whom.

But I could see in college where the coaching staff starts taking heat from a big booster for not playing his sponsored guy "enough" or not getting him the ball enough, etc.

"I've dropped seven figures on that kid the last 2 years .... and he hasn't started a game yet and only has 3 catches this year! He better start seeing the ball more if you want me to keep sponsoring kids in the future!"

The thing that's possibly dangerous in my opinion with the idea that the (big) money college players are making is coming solely/vastly from their NIL deals relative to the value of a scholarship (or none at all) from the school is if the boosters start having a direct say in how much "their kid" plays and/or how many plays are called "for" their guys.

In the NFL, players can certainly do NIL deals on the side, but their main money comes from the team and the team retains 100% control over who plays and what plays are called to feature whom.

But I could see in college where the coaching staff starts taking heat from a big booster for not playing his sponsored guy "enough" or not getting him the ball enough, etc.

"I've dropped seven figures on that kid the last 2 years .... and he hasn't started a game yet and only has 3 catches this year! He better start seeing the ball more if you want me to keep sponsoring kids in the future!"
This absolutely could become an issue, especially as the dollar amounts get higher. That said, I am sure some of this already happens and the coaches that play in that world just know how to navigate the boosters and bag men.

TBH I think Martinez was better than this guy. They don't exactly play defense in the Big 12-2, and this guy somehow lost to Kansas, despite all of the built in advantages in Austin

Players are going to ruin this for themselves. Dumb kids.

Because of social media posts like these, NIL will be stripped down massively.
I don't think it'll be because of this, people are going to throw money around as long as they keep score on the scoreboard, but like anything else that's new, once there's a little more understanding, the market will balance itself out.

How? Who is going to strip it down? Congress?
And why would they? Why would someone read an article about someone buying someone a car and another person accepting it and think "THIS MUST BE STOPPED?".

Why shouldn't it be tied to recruiting or pay-for-play?

And why would they? Why would someone read an article about someone buying someone a car and another person accepting it and think "THIS MUST BE STOPPED?".
I don’t think people who want it regulated realize why it is currently unregulated.

Because they can’t regulate it without violating multiple state laws and anti-trust statutes.

So they basically need an act of Congress to regulate at all. A state legislature could regulate for their state, but if you regulate your state and nobody else does…you just put your state schools at a disadvantage.

Top Bottom