Carr- Foot Injury

Pitino is bringing out all the stops here. All aboard the excuse train. Unbelievable. It's more than time to go now.

Interesting how when you're losing games, excuses and injuries start to pile.

Reactions: MRJ

I don’t blame Pitino for starting up with the excuses. His job is in jeopardy and he knows it. Desperation setting in and he is trying to save his job by any means necessary.

Not making excuses for Pitino, the hot start and deterioration of our play down the stretch has been brutal to watch. He isn't wrong though, we have been more banged up the back half of the schedule but it sure isn't the only reason we have been getting scorched, nor the main one.

Its clear we've had the talent to compete a few different seasons at the very minimum, and haven't done much with that talent/roster. In my opinion '16/'17, '17/'18, '18/19, '20/'21, and we have an NIT ship, 1 NCAA tourney win, 2 NCAA tourney appearances, and 1 year with a winning conference record. Results speak for themselves, or lack thereof.

Coach Richard Pitino ..... the tribe has spoken. (snuffs out torch) It's time for you to go.

1*4bdMUKHo5XMpEClrb1yWxA@2x.jpeg

Pitino is like Piggy in Lord of the Flies, right as all the boys are screaming, "We want meat!" and preparing to roll a boulder down on him.

Yeah, I just read it again. I'm trying to improve myself.

Excuses coming out for self preservation.....I hope Coyle had already made his decision prior to the season.....Top 5 B10 finish or bust.....That is obviously not going to happen and hope he has been putting together a short list of candidates for weeks.

Excuses coming out for self preservation.....I hope Coyle had already made his decision prior to the season.....Top 5 B10 finish or bust.....That is obviously not going to happen and hope he has been putting together a short list of candidates for weeks.
Shameless. I prefer coaches who never make excuses about injuries.

I heard thru a friend of a friend that Marcus practiced today so it isn’t too serious which is good considering we need to win some games.

As hard as he hits the deck on some of his wild drives, it's surprising he hasn't gotten hurt before. And our lack of depth, well we know who's fault that is. If we can't beat NW and Nebraska without him, that's on us.

I think this thread is overly harsh. If Carr is indeed limited, that's your two top offensive players and your best defender injured. That's tough to overcome and try to finish strong on the fly.

These injuries and the team's record these last four games shouldn't factor into Coyle's off season decisions. If you can't decide after this many dozens of game results...

I think this thread is overly harsh. If Carr is indeed limited, that's your two top offensive players and your best defender injured. That's tough to overcome and try to finish strong on the fly.

These injuries and the team's record these last four games shouldn't factor into Coyle's off season decisions. If you can't decide after this many dozens of game results...
The next two games are against the two worst teams in the league. If ever we should be able to win short-handed, it's this week. No excuses.

The Gophers play the three worst teams in the league (by a long shot) over the next three games. If you can't win those games, then you are one of the worst three teams in the league. Not good enough with this roster.

Then you have never liked Pitino ....He has a cascade of them every year when things go south.
Never respected him. It must be next man up, your all trained for this etc... Excuses are soft and do not build trust. We all know injuries affect results. He is suppose to lead the team not cover his own ass.

So GG - you did not respond to my inquiry of your top 5 choices to replace RP. Let's have em.....

Never respected him. It must be next man up, your all trained for this etc... Excuses are soft and do not build trust. We all know injuries affect results. He is suppose to lead the team not cover his own ass.

BADGER circa January, 2020:

"How do i reconcile what then since Bo is not my guy, just a great coach. I know very well that Pitino is not his dad and respect his dad only for basketball teaching ability. His son. i respect as a being a decent person which is ultimately more important than coaching but he is a long way from being considered a great coach. This came up because , once again someone spoke for me calling Bo my guy. Numerous posts over the years by me stating that i never liked Bo Ryan as a person, know a lot about him. But i can see what a great coach he was, highest winning % in conference history is a incredible achievement and he recruited clean. Master teacher."

Does anyone on GH believe ONE WORD from BADGER?

Which is it, BADGER?

I listened to the Gopher Basketball Weekly podcast that this info came from this morning.

- Starts off the show talking about injuries specifically Gabe and Liam. He talks about Marcus Carr not practicing 2 days in a row (not that he hasn't practiced in 2 days) and the Curry doesn't practice 2 days in a row.

Edit: this probably isn't as clear as I'd like it to be: Marcus has a foot thing that they are "monitoring" and he's not practicing back to back days. So it doesn't sound particularly new or particularly different than probably what some other guys who play heavy minutes elsewhere probably are doing for maintenance at this point in the season.

- Gaard and Grimm finally get him to talk some specifics of the game. Gaard (who is a massive defender of Pitino to a comical level) asks him a question about Illinois seemingly turning up their defensive pressure late in the first half and Pitino seems to get a little annoyed/irritated (at least to my ear due to his tone and kind of cutting off Gaard) and goes back to Liam being injured and having no post presence.

- There was talk about Mashburn Jr's dad being in attendance for the first time and some talk about Jamal's game.

- Injuries. Again. Gaard asks if Liam's situation is similar to Dupree's where he was in a walking boot and not practicing but playing in games. Pitino says the situation now reminds him of 3 years ago when "Reggie QUIT school, Amir had surgery..." Yes, he actually said Reggie quit school.

- More discussion about injuries and then being limited in practice. Hunt was sick, so they had nobody to simulate Illinois guards, they don't have enough guys to play 5 on 5. Andre Hollins tore his achilles, he's not going to put Jarvis out there and so he had Jeff Mailhot (sp? the assistant coach) out there. My questions here...why do you only have one walkon'? Why did you construct your roster in a way that you have so many bigs and so few guards?

- Then he took his Baghdad Bob like description of his resume at Minnesota to a whole new level. He repeated the insanity that they would have made the tournament last season if they won two more games in the Big Ten tournament. He then claimed they were a bubble team in year 1 (true) and year 2 (WHAT?) so they really were only not competing for a spot in 2 seasons during his tenure. Of course Grimm or Gaard would never challenge him on this (and to be fair it's not really their role on that type of show).

I haven't listened to anything he's said in the last few days but I'm not sure what he's supposed to say. I don't care if its a HOF coach or Pitino you're going to talk about injuries if you have 3 starters hurt.

That said where the team currently sits is on Pitino. We got our butts kicked against Illinois and I'm guessing Gabe and a healthy Robbins wouldn't have flipped that 31 point loss around to a Win. Indiana could have been a win if healthy but who knows. All the games before that when we were healthy are a problem.

I listened to the Gopher Basketball Weekly podcast that this info came from this morning.

- Starts off the show talking about injuries specifically Gabe and Liam. He talks about Marcus Carr not practicing 2 days in a row (not that he hasn't practiced in 2 days) and the Curry doesn't practice 2 days in a row.

Edit: this probably isn't as clear as I'd like it to be: Marcus has a foot thing that they are "monitoring" and he's not practicing back to back days. So it doesn't sound particularly new or particularly different than probably what some other guys who play heavy minutes elsewhere probably are doing for maintenance at this point in the season.

- Gaard and Grimm finally get him to talk some specifics of the game. Gaard (who is a massive defender of Pitino to a comical level) asks him a question about Illinois seemingly turning up their defensive pressure late in the first half and Pitino seems to get a little annoyed/irritated (at least to my ear due to his tone and kind of cutting off Gaard) and goes back to Liam being injured and having no post presence.

- There was talk about Mashburn Jr's dad being in attendance for the first time and some talk about Jamal's game.

- Injuries. Again. Gaard asks if Liam's situation is similar to Dupree's where he was in a walking boot and not practicing but playing in games. Pitino says the situation now reminds him of 3 years ago when "Reggie QUIT school, Amir had surgery..." Yes, he actually said Reggie quit school.

- More discussion about injuries and then being limited in practice. Hunt was sick, so they had nobody to simulate Illinois guards, they don't have enough guys to play 5 on 5. Andre Hollins tore his achilles, he's not going to put Jarvis out there and so he had Jeff Mailhot (sp? the assistant coach) out there. My questions here...why do you only have one walkon'? Why did you construct your roster in a way that you have so many bigs and so few guards?

- Then he took his Baghdad Bob like description of his resume at Minnesota to a whole new level. He repeated the insanity that they would have made the tournament last season if they won two more games in the Big Ten tournament. He then claimed they were a bubble team in year 1 (true) and year 2 (WHAT?) so they really were only not competing for a spot in 2 seasons during his tenure. Of course Grimm or Gaard would never challenge him on this (and to be fair it's not really their role on that type of show).

You definitely have a lot of time.

It's never good to be compared to Baghdad Bob

Top Bottom