Carey Woods - Bemidji

BigMan'sGame

Reaction score
Watching Phil Nelson play Bemidji and while Nelson looks awesome, I'm equally impressed with #1 on Bemidji. I've never seen him play before, but his name is Carey Woods. Looks awesome both as a receiver and a defensive back.

Really good speed - sometimes Nelson covers him on defense. Does anybody know anything about his recruitment? I'm no expert, but he seems like the under-the-radar player who ends up starring at NDSU.

Yea, Arguably the best player in the game so far. Hopefully kill is on this kid. What year is he?

We need Chris Monter to get an interview with him!

That adjustment he made on the 3rd TD catch was impressive. The run after the catch was equally impressive. I agree with the OP that this is an under-the-radar kid that will be a stud at NDSU.

On an unrelated note, who's #70 for Bemidji? I haven't seen much of the game and how he's performed, but looks like a kid with some decent size. Could be an OL prospect?

We need Chris Monter to get an interview with him!

That adjustment he made on the 3rd TD catch was impressive. The run after the catch was equally impressive. I agree with the OP that this is an under-the-radar kid that will be a stud at NDSU.

On an unrelated note, who's #70 for Bemidji? I haven't seen much of the game and how he's performed, but looks like a kid with some decent size. Could be an OL prospect?

Carson Hogan
Jersey: 70
Ht/Wt: 6'9"/270
Class: Jr.

I checked over at Bisonville, sounds like Grades might be an issue at the U according to a poster.

Thanks! That's pretty decent size. Any idea if he has the potential to play on Saturday?

No idea. I don't know much about line play. He looks like he moves well, but it also looks like he could stand to hit the gym and beef up his arms/upper body.

Hopefully Heifert has liked his time at the U so far and can talk to a couple of his old teammates (Woods and the OL), and see if they have interest in walking on at the U and earning a scholarship.

*Not that i'd be opposed to Woods getting a scholarship either, i'm just saying we have a little experience with walk-ons who had NDSU offers from Bemidji.

One would think that their would be some sort of Gopher scout at this game wouldn't they?

I checked over at Bisonville, sounds like Grades might be an issue at the U according to a poster.

Not sure how true that is. There is a poster from another site saying that he knows the Woods family and how they are stand up kids with strict parents and how academics are important to the family. Not saying it isn't true but would seem odd given that if you actually give a d@mn it's impossible not to at least pull acceptable grades in HS, and it sounds like they at least give a d@mn.

I have to imagine that the coaches know at least who he is already. And I'm assuming there is a scout at the games or at the least someone will be reviewing tape of all the state semifinals and championships.

GophersInIowa said:
I have to imagine that the coaches know at least who he is already. And I'm assuming there is a scout at the games or at the least someone will be reviewing tape of all the state semifinals and championships.

Agree. I'm sure they know more about him then any of us.

I talked to Carey Woods after the game. He told me that he plans on playing football in college. He had offers from Bemidji state and Morehead State. Woods told me that he is hearing from NDSU, North Dakota and some Division II's, but that could change with his strong play today and hopefully a good contest next week in the Prep Bowl.

They are all on the road right now heading to NW

When I played HS football, we had coaches on our staff that would travel to our next weeks opponent's and that is just at a AAA class high school. So I would assume there are some staff members at the U that probably have the responsibility of scouting games while the team is away.

I don't think we have to worry about Kill and company knowing about these kids. Stolski is networked and my guess is he's helping get word to Kill about a lot of outstate kids.

k ive had 24 hrs to get over what i saw yesterday... and ive come to this conclusion... for the 60 minutes of football that ive seen the kid play he looked good... aganst a defense that imo is below average... west won alot of games behind nelson, who clearly was the best player on the feild... he accounted for almost 500 yards of offense. he had an exciting day yesterday, however noone heard of this guy before yesterday... so with that said, he looked like a kid with decent speed and has soe athleticism.. if he were to walk on at mn and earn a scolly basedon play im all for it, but im going to get off the SIGN HIM UP NOW bandwagon

Link to Carey's Stats

I've been following him for a couple of years, but I thought he'd wind up playing basketball. I was hoping he'd impress the staff during the playoff run and Mankato West was a great showcase for it.

I really started to pay attention to Bemidji's boxscores after he put up three monster games to start the season. (link to his season stats below) It looks like the last two games haven't been entered yet, but 15 yds per carry and 21 yds per reception isn't too shabby.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/4Q9YBCMLF0mGkLeGWYe4kQ/football-fall-11/stats-carey-woods.htm

k ive had 24 hrs to get over what i saw yesterday... and ive come to this conclusion... for the 60 minutes of football that ive seen the kid play he looked good... aganst a defense that imo is below average... west won alot of games behind nelson, who clearly was the best player on the feild... he accounted for almost 500 yards of offense. he had an exciting day yesterday, however noone heard of this guy before yesterday... so with that said, he looked like a kid with decent speed and has soe athleticism.. if he were to walk on at mn and earn a scolly basedon play im all for it, but im going to get off the SIGN HIM UP NOW bandwagon

carey lives in bemidji that is the only reason none of you have heard of him. most gopher fans think that unless a kid plays for a metro school he is not talented or fast enough for the U. well carey could be an asset for the U, he has speed and decent size. with a redshirt and a college speed and strength program he could be a very good get. carey was the best player on the field on fri, nelson is a stud but carey touched the ball like 6 times and changed the game. nelson touched the ball on every offensive play and was nowhere near the threat that i thought he would be.

carey lives in bemidji that is the only reason none of you have heard of him. most gopher fans think that unless a kid plays for a metro school he is not talented or fast enough for the U. well carey could be an asset for the U, he has speed and decent size. with a redshirt and a college speed and strength program he could be a very good get. carey was the best player on the field on fri, nelson is a stud but carey touched the ball like 6 times and changed the game. nelson touched the ball on every offensive play and was nowhere near the threat that i thought he would be.

lol you make it sound like minnesota is miami fla where counties have top 150 player rankings.... this is mn where 20 kids get schollys..... plz man, the reason we havent heard of him is because he is not a div 1 player... its that simple...

Top Bottom