Can we get a list of all the posters who thought Claeys was the right hire?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I think they should all post in this thread so we can identify them. It will be a very clear display of who understands Gopher Football and who doesn't.

He was based on timing and contract. Without an AD in place we essentially gave him a one year deal to make a Jan 1 bowl game or Coyle has the opportunity to bring in his guy.

Given ad situation I thought it was best option. Still willing give him time

So we really are doing this - thread 5 about firing a coach after losing his first game of the year, by 3, in OT, on the road. Dear God you are sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill's health put the program in an impossible position. What was the right move, if you have all the answers?

Go back to Rube Chat.

So we really are doing this - thread 5 about firing a coach after losing his first game of the year, by 3, in OT, on the road. Dear God you are sad.

The contract given by the U essentially garaunteed this would be the case.

ill proudly put my name on this list bc i live in reality and with the AD situation we didnt have a choice - how about you identify which coaches you think we had a shot at getting and then we can see what world you're living in

I think it was the right decision. That said, I think Tracy may have to take a more vocal approach moving forward.

Me. And your point is????

TC will have Floyd in his lap Saturday afternoon and that will make things better for all the whiners.

It's not that it's his first loss, it's that he's affirming our suspicions of it being his first loss of several despite the easiest schedule that could have been created for him.

It's not that it's his first loss, it's that he's affirming our suspicions of it being his first loss of several despite the easiest schedule that could have been created for him.

I see, you don't think the coach should be fired because of his first loss - you think the coach should be fired because that first loss by 3-pts, in OT, on the road, to a team that was favored, makes it obvious he will lose several games. Yeah, that sounds better.

+1

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Thanks. Agreed completely. Anyone who thought that the Gophers would really run the table hasn't watched much B1G football over the years.

Me. Tough loss yesterday. Beat the Squwakeyes.

Was Brewster the right choice?
The answer is he was the only choice.
There was not enough $ available after the buy outs to attract a better coach.
The same answer for Kill, he was a bargain basement hire as were his assistants.
Given the circumstances Claeys was the only rational choice.
Hiring a "better' coach may require more $ than the AD has right now.

+1000. Some of our "fans" are our worst enemies.

I thought under the circumstances he was the right hire. With what they're paying him and the length of his contract he is in this day and age of big money and extensions, a " interm" coach.
If we lose to Iowa I expect the heat to be turned up another notch.

+1000. Some of our "fans" are our worst enemies.

Good one.
Without fans that want to have success this program would go from below average to terrible

I see improvements in the offense. In the play calling .... not just run up the middle. So that is an obvious improvement. The Gophers have never had the depth that they can handle a big hit to any one area. The suspended players and a few injuries have really hit the DBs. If Clays has access to his injured or suspended players we are not having this conversation. Granted Penn State had issues in their linebacker position. However, our big hit came in our last line of defense which is never good.

This is a tough subject because the university seemed to be in a tough position. As others have said, it seemed like with the circumstances at the time, making Claeys the HC and giving him a one year contract was a good option.

Breaking it down a little more, when I say "good option," I don't mean it in the sense that Claeys would take us to a promise land right away, but more that he could hold together the program's foundation that Kill built. Even with faults, Kill still stabilized the program to a degree, and Claeys taking over the program, even with his staff changes, holds things together.

With all that said, long term, I haven't seen enough from Claeys to make me think he's a long term option. I don't think it's necessary to say he should be fired right away, there's still a lot of games to play and this season could still turn around in our favor. However, I've seen a few things from games last year and this year that raise doubts.

We'll find out a lot more about his coaching next week I suppose.

I see improvements in the offense. In the play calling .... not just run up the middle. So that is an obvious improvement. The Gophers have never had the depth that they can handle a big hit to any one area. The suspended players and a few injuries have really hit the DBs. If Clays has access to his injured or suspended players we are not having this conversation. Granted Penn State had issues in their linebacker position. However, our big hit came in our last line of defense which is never good.
Most of those big passing and scramble plays were on the DL for losing contain and having an undisciplined and ineffective pass rush. There aren't many d backs at any level that can cover guys for 7 seconds man to man in the scramble drill.

Agree with your point but having first line players on the field instead of second or third line never hurts.
Most of those big passing and scramble plays were on the DL for losing contain and having an undisciplined and ineffective pass rush. There aren't many d backs at any level that can cover guys for 7 seconds man to man in the scramble drill.

I thought under the circumstances he was the right hire. With what they're paying him and the length of his contract he is in this day and age of big money and extensions, a " interm" coach.
If we lose to Iowa I expect the heat to be turned up another notch.

I don't agree with Ruppert on many things but I think you nailed it on this post. The investment is minimal, the timing was crappy and we have options should the walls cave in this season.

I think they should all post in this thread so we can identify them. It will be a very clear display of who understands Gopher Football and who doesn't.

So what your saying is that those who don't think Claeys should be the coach don't know Gophers football? It's a little harsh to pick on the guys who don't lmay have wanted someone else, but I guess I could agree. I mean, in the 80s or 90s or late 2000s we would be super excited to have been within 3 of PSU, now were pissed. Nice to have built a squad that we expect to beat PSU.

And of course there is the only one loss thing.... Heck, Ohio State won the NCAA two years back having lost to a 7-6 Virginia Tech squad.... so the season is far from over.

To think that some people have such skewed perceptions of reality that they actually think a program doesn’t require years of work. Some guys actually think you can make right hire vs a wrong hire, and then it is done, like all this happens in a vacuum.

Some guys even think there is no learning curve for a new head coach, or a new defensive coordinator; that one just is either successful, right away, or not. Can you believe that? Isn’t that silly?

I CAN'T BELIEVE OUR TEAM WENT TO THE CFP AND LOST TO INDIANA LAST NIGHT. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON FIRE CLAEYS!
I CANT BELIEVE WE WENT 12-0 LAST YEAR PLAYED IN THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP AND LOST TO A TEAM AT HOME THAT WE WERE 2 TOUCHDOWN FAVORITES AGAINST AND GOT OVERWHELMED BY A MAC AND FCS TEAM. FIRE CLAEYS!
I CANT BELIEVE WE LOST A GAME IN OT TO A TEAM THAT WE WERE 3 POINT UNDERDOGS TO ON THE ROAD. I LISTEN TO IDIOTS ON KFAN AND DOUGIE AND THEY SAID I SHOULD BE MAD BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M WATCHING FIRE CLAEYS? OK! FIRE CLAEYS!

I CAN'T BELIEVE OUR TEAM WENT TO THE CFP AND LOST TO INDIANA LAST NIGHT. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON FIRE CLAYES!
I CANT BELIEVE WE WENT 12-0 LAST YEAR PLAYED IN THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP AND LOST TO A TEAM AT HOME THAT WE WERE 2 TOUCHDOWN FAVORITES AGAINST AND GOT OVERWHELMED BY A MAC AND FCS TEAM. FIRE CLAYES!
I CANT BELIEVE WE LOST A GAME IN OT TO A TEAM THAT WE WERE 3 POINT UNDERDOGS TO ON THE ROAD. I LISTEN TO IDIOTS ON KFAN AND DOUGIE AND THEY SAID I SHOULD BE MAD BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M WATCHING FIRE CLAYES? OK! FIRE CLAYES!

Just one minor detail keeping you from an effective rant in support of the head coach....

Claeys was the correct choice given the situation with the department at the time, and with the low buyout they did it the right way.

Top Bottom