Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

NBA drafting is somewhat mysterious but it is laughable to think Christie is one of the top 60 guys in the world available to the draft.
Only thing that is laughable is your ability to identify NBA talent, and there are only 50 picks this year. Also, see Naz Reid, undrafted but guaranteed to be signed after the draft so he stayed in the draft.

Only thing that is laughable is your ability to identify NBA talent, and there are only 50 picks this year. Also, see Naz Reid, undrafted but guaranteed to be signed after the draft so he stayed in the draft.
Naz Reid is the kind of guy who makes my point. There are a few hundred players in the U.S. and Europe who are right now better than Cam and who could contribute before he will.

Scouts may be able to be confident in a couple of years ago he will be ready. He's not close now.

Being better according to who? Dakota2?

What are you basing your analysis of hundreds of better players? Because it certainly isn't reality.

Players are not drafted based on current production, there were several players drafted last year that averaged LESS than Christie

Is it length? Because Christie is 6'6 and as old as a lot of HS seniors i.e will probably be taller

These so called players in Europe might be better right now, but their ceilings are far lower, hence you know....why they're in Europe

Cam won't be transferring to a question mark situation though. Teams that offer him know what he needs and aren't going to waste money on him if he doesn't fit what they need.

He will have little in the way of uncertainty. I get what you artes saying though and as a risk averse person I agree with you.
I strongly disagree. There are plenty of players who entered the portal went to much better programs and weren't great fits.

Khalif Battle regressed when he went from Temple to Arkansas - now he's transferring to Gonzaga.

Kario Oquendo went from Georgia to Oregon and ended up battling for minutes and really struggling. He was on some mock drafts in 2023. Now. . . he isn't anywhere near a mock draft.

Denver Jones was a hot name in the portal last year and he did very little at Auburn.

Jameer Nelson struggled at TCU.

All of the players and programs, I am sure, had the best intentions and they all probably thought they were perfect fits. However, IMO, you never know until you know.

Naz Reid is the kind of guy who makes my point. There are a few hundred players in the U.S. and Europe who are right now better than Cam and who could contribute before he will.

Scouts may be able to be confident in a couple of years ago he will be ready. He's not close now.
The point is, Naz was guaranteed a spot after the draft. Cam could get that same feedback. x- team picking at 45 says, we might take you at 45, if not we will for sure sign you as an undrafted free agent after the draft. That is all it takes, one team.

Let's look at the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2022 with the 45th pick. They take Memphis freshman Josh Minott. 6'8", 205 pounds and athletic. Josh averaged 6.6 points in only 14.6 minutes per game and shooting 14.3% from 3pt land. While Cam isn't as athletic, he is a much better shooter and put up better stats in a better conference. I was one of the first on this board to say he's a one and done nba prospect, and I'm sticking to it. Or look at Max Christie's stats in college compared to Cam's, same conference of course. Or let's look at former Wisconsin star Johnny Davis, Max arguably has better stats both in their 2nd NBA season.

NBA drafting is somewhat mysterious but it is laughable to think Christie is one of the top 60 guys in the world available to the draft.

It's not laughable at all. He's being mocked as a early to mid 2nd rounder in multiple places. He's only 18, has good size, can shoot, and has a bunch of potential.

Being better according to who? Dakota2?

What are you basing your analysis of hundreds of better players? Because it certainly isn't reality.

Players are not drafted based on current production, there were several players drafted last year that averaged LESS than Christie

Is it length? Because Christie is 6'6 and as old as a lot of HS seniors i.e will probably be taller

These so called players in Europe might be better right now, but their ceilings are far lower, hence you know....why they're in Europe
How in the world to sort out this mess of horse shit above .... well, let's try.

Starting with the dumbest of your stupid comments, European players are in Europe because they are born and raised there. There ceilings are not lower or higher than Cam Christie or anybody else born here.

So, how many better players are there right now eligible for the draft? Let's just start with the fact Christie was either the third or fourth best player last year for the Minnesota Gophers. He was probably in the top 30-40 in the Big Ten. Maybe.

In all of college basketball he was no where near the top 100. Then you have to had those pesky guys born in Europe, Africa, or Asia. That's a lot of dudes and a good number of them are better today than Cam Christie.

Maybe he'll get drafter for his length. Maybe Dennis Evans will too.

The point is, Naz was guaranteed a spot after the draft. Cam could get that same feedback. x- team picking at 45 says, we might take you at 45, if not we will for sure sign you as an undrafted free agent after the draft. That is all it takes, one team.

Let's look at the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2022 with the 45th pick. They take Memphis freshman Josh Minott. 6'8", 205 pounds and athletic. Josh averaged 6.6 points in only 14.6 minutes per game and shooting 14.3% from 3pt land. While Cam isn't as athletic, he is a much better shooter and put up better stats in a better conference. I was one of the first on this board to say he's a one and done nba prospect, and I'm sticking to it. Or look at Max Christie's stats in college compared to Cam's, same conference of course. Or let's look at former Wisconsin star Johnny Davis, Max arguably has better stats both in their 2nd NBA season.
What was Naz' first contract? I don't know, just asking.

Cam is like many, many young players. Lot's of talent and may make it. Not nearly ready today. Where I have some doubt is his one-dimentional skill now. He doesn't score on the drive, doesn't know about the pull up jumper, and is pretty soft on defense.

He was the third or fourth best player for the Gophers last year.

What was Naz' first contract? I don't know, just asking.

Cam is like many, many young players. Lot's of talent and may make it. Not nearly ready today. Where I have some doubt is his one-dimentional skill now. He doesn't score on the drive, doesn't know about the pull up jumper, and is pretty soft on defense.

He was the third or fourth best player for the Gophers last year.
Naz had a two-way contract with twolves and iowa g-league team as an undrafted free agent.

It's not laughable at all. He's being mocked as an early to mid 2nd rounder in multiple places. He's only 18, has good size, can shoot, and has a bunch of potential.
Read my post. I am not debating potential or what scouts see in him. I am saying the third best player at Minnesota is not one of the 50 best players in the world available to be drafted. No where close.

Read my post. I am not debating potential or what scouts see in him. I am saying the third best player at Minnesota is not one of the 50 best players in the world available to be drafted. No where close.
And when the kid is selected....,,,

When I watched Voshon Lenard as a Freshman, you could just tell he had NBA talent. I haven't gotten that same vibe from Christie...yet.

If he gets drafted at all, he'll be stashed for at least a year in the G League.

How in the world to sort out this mess of horse shit above .... well, let's try.

Starting with the dumbest of your stupid comments, European players are in Europe because they are born and raised there. There ceilings are not lower or higher than Cam Christie or anybody else born here.

So, how many better players are there right now eligible for the draft? Let's just start with the fact Christie was either the third or fourth best player last year for the Minnesota Gophers. He was probably in the top 30-40 in the Big Ten. Maybe.

In all of college basketball he was no where near the top 100. Then you have to had those pesky guys born in Europe, Africa, or Asia. That's a lot of dudes and a good number of them are better today than Cam Christie.

Last year Seth Lundy was taken in the 2nd round after four years in college and was never more than Big Ten honorable mention. Jaylen Clark did very little in college until his junior year. Amari Bailey had a good freshman season, then left and was drafted. It's not about what kind of player they are at this moment. If that were the case, the Wolves would have drafted Luka Garza ahead of ANT.

NBA teams draft on potential - a lot. they take some guy from Europe that no one has every heard of because some scout thinks Europe Guy has the potential to develop into a rotational player.

Christie is in that same category. Some team may look at him and think, in a year or 2 he's going to be a good player, so let's get him now and if we have to, we can put him on a 2-way contract and stash him in the G-League until he's ready.

just looked at a couple of mock drafts.
one mock did not list Christie. another mock had him at #54 on the rankings. another had him as a late-1st round to mid-2nd round pick.

so there does not seem to be any consensus.

Top 30 or 40 player in BIG is sobering, if true. I think I remember (because I was surprised at the time) that there were 4 BIG picks the year De'Angelo Russell was #2 behind Kat - and one of them was next to last. Most years the entire BIG conference has 5-7 players drafted.

Who in your opinion is more draftable? Christie or someone like Hunter Dickinson? Or Tyler Kolek, Kevin McCullar, or Baylor Scheierman? Or Pelle Larson? You have to project, because these guys aren't the same age. When Baylor Scheierman was the same age as Christie is now he was coming off scoring 6 ppg as a FR at South Dakota State.

At this point, we should all want him to stay in the Draft and hopefully get drafted. It allows us to claim Christie as "one of us", gives Johnson the ability to say he recruited and developed an NBA guy and it doubles the number of Gophers in the League.

The last thing we want is him pulling and out going Blue Blood and we lose our affiliation with him.

Go Gophers!!

Right, projection. AS you've been told one and over.
Why do you keep arguing something not being debated, Karine? I know why they draft some guys who are nowhere near ready to play.

I have never said he won’t be drafted. I have said simply that he is today not good enough to be in the top 100 players available to the draft. He was the third best player at Minnesota this past season.

Who in your opinion is more draftable? Christie or someone like Hunter Dickinson? Or Tyler Kolek, Kevin McCullar, or Baylor Scheierman? Or Pelle Larson? You have to project, because these guys aren't the same age. When Baylor Scheierman was the same age as Christie is now he was coming off scoring 6 ppg as a FR at South Dakota State.
I have never said he won’t be drafted so your question doesn’t pertain.

Why do you keep arguing something not being debated, Karine? I know why they draft some guys who are nowhere near ready to play.

I have never said he won’t be drafted. I have said simply that he is today not good enough to be in the top 100 players available to the draft. He was the third best player at Minnesota this past season.
I guess nba executives will determine it. Not you daka$$.

Any idea of money?
The G-League has standard contracts and 2 way contracts. An nba team is allowed 2 2-way contracts. A player with a 2-way contract is paid approximately $ 450,000 for the year. The standard contract which is most players is signed directly with the nba and is for $ 7,000/month for 5 months totaling $35,000. Would seem that unless you're getting a 2 way contract a player would make more money from NIL in college. It appears that unless a player is drafted high enough for a guaranteed nba contract there's a risk of being a low draft choice or going undrafted and having to sign standard contract @ $ 35k/season.

So Naz didn't get rich when he signed a 2 way contract with the wolves.

I guess nba executives will determine it. Not you daka$$.
What they will determine is if one of them wants to use a draft pick on him, not whether he is one of the best 100 players available. He is not.

How stupid are you to keep arguing something I am not disputing? Rhetorical question. You are stupid.

Top Bottom