Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

At this point, we should all want him to stay in the Draft and hopefully get drafted. It allows us to claim Christie as "one of us", gives Johnson the ability to say he recruited and developed an NBA guy and it doubles the number of Gophers in the League.

The last thing we want is him pulling and out going Blue Blood and we lose our affiliation with him.

Go Gophers!!
Exactly. If he goes to the NBA that is a good thing.

Marvin Williams came off the bench for UNC and he was drafted 2nd overall. So was he the 6th best player on UNC? Zach Lavine came off the bench for UCLA and was picked 13th overall. The two best players on UCLA that year were Kyle Anderson (30th pick) and Jordan Adams (22nd pick).

Like Bleed said, at this point we really need Cam to be drafted and claim him as our own. We are looking at only 59 picks and one of those might actually go to Bronny James. The G-league has really come along ways and Cam would have no issues developing in the G-league for a bit.

I strongly disagree. There are plenty of players who entered the portal went to much better programs and weren't great fits.

Khalif Battle regressed when he went from Temple to Arkansas - now he's transferring to Gonzaga.

Kario Oquendo went from Georgia to Oregon and ended up battling for minutes and really struggling. He was on some mock drafts in 2023. Now. . . he isn't anywhere near a mock draft.

Denver Jones was a hot name in the portal last year and he did very little at Auburn.

Jameer Nelson struggled at TCU.

All of the players and programs, I am sure, had the best intentions and they all probably thought they were perfect fits. However, IMO, you never know until you know.
How many of them had a brother who went through the same thing?

How in the world to sort out this mess of horse shit above .... well, let's try.

Starting with the dumbest of your stupid comments, European players are in Europe because they are born and raised there. There ceilings are not lower or higher than Cam Christie or anybody else born here.
Very true, but hilarious this needed explaining :LOL:

At this point, we should all want him to stay in the Draft and hopefully get drafted. It allows us to claim Christie as "one of us", gives Johnson the ability to say he recruited and developed an NBA guy and it doubles the number of Gophers in the League.

The last thing we want is him pulling and out going Blue Blood and we lose our affiliation with him.

Go Gophers!!

Certainly if the alternative is him transferring to another program.

How many of them had a brother who went through the same thing?
Cam Christie doesn't have a brother that transferred in college.

If by "the same thing", you mean that they played high level college ball and then went on to the NBA, I don't think any of them.

Jameer Nelson had a dad that did though.

When I watched Voshon Lenard as a Freshman, you could just tell he had NBA talent. I haven't gotten that same vibe from Christie...yet.

If he gets drafted at all, he'll be stashed for at least a year in the G League.

NCAA basketball was a very different product then. Most players were staying three years before early entry, so you had to have a much more advanced game in order to see the floor as a freshman. The NBA also had a lot fewer players from overseas, and the G League did not exist, making the NCAA a de facto minor league. The direct line from playing in a power conference to the NBA was a lot easier to see than it is today.

The Ringer (Kevin O'Connor) just released its first NBA Draft Big Board. Cam Christie checks in at #44. If he's getting similar feedback from teams, I would assume he will stay in the draft given next year's class looks stronger. https://nbadraft.theringer.com/bigboard?_ga=2.264264263.999604189.1715363074-1230999385.1681230135

I'm that range, a guaranteed deal, he's looking at making over $1 million/yr, probably $1.5-1.75 million aav. If he's on a two-way he'll get around $560K/yr. If a team gives him a guarantee, even if it's the last pick, he should stay. That means a 3 year deal, with a 4th team option.

How in the world to sort out this mess of horse shit above .... well, let's try.

Starting with the dumbest of your stupid comments, European players are in Europe because they are born and raised there. There ceilings are not lower or higher than Cam Christie or anybody else born here.

So, how many better players are there right now eligible for the draft? Let's just start with the fact Christie was either the third or fourth best player last year for the Minnesota Gophers. He was probably in the top 30-40 in the Big Ten. Maybe.

In all of college basketball he was no where near the top 100. Then you have to had those pesky guys born in Europe, Africa, or Asia. That's a lot of dudes and a good number of them are better today than Cam Christie.

Maybe he'll get drafter for his length. Maybe Dennis Evans will too.
Ok

That makes me laugh! The main mock drafts do not even list him. He will not even get picked!
If he gets negative professional outlook from the NBA, we may never know where he would have been drafted, because he will bypass the draft until next year.

Screenshot_20240512-210201.png

"Not top 100"

That makes me laugh! The main mock drafts do not even list him. He will not even get picked!

Really incredible outlook from some purported fans on here to belittle a (soon to be former) Gopher about his professional prospects. He’s a really good player who - based on current info - would be drafted in the second round. That’s good for Cam and the program.

So, how many better players are there right now eligible for the draft? Let's just start with the fact Christie was either the third or fourth best player last year for the Minnesota Gophers. He was probably in the top 30-40 in the Big Ten. Maybe.

In all of college basketball he was no where near the top 100. Then you have to had those pesky guys born in Europe, Africa, or Asia. That's a lot of dudes and a good number of them are better today than Cam Christie.

Maybe he'll get drafter for his length. Maybe Dennis Evans will too.
This is so funny on so many levels.

First off, a majority of high caliber European players are actually American, lol I know what you thought I meant but hilarious none the less.

Also if you are gonna call someone else stupid at least use the right iteration of "Their"

Lastly, you keep throwing out top this top that, nobody cares about your opinion on prospects.

Another top 45 projection.
44th pick in that one

Cam Christie caught scouts' attention this year with his smooth shotmaking and passing flashes for a 6'6", 18-year-old. Other scouts wanted to see more to buy in this early—he rarely got to the rim, and he grades as the draft's worst finisher on lay-up attempts.
Positional size, built-in-shooting and age will buy him time with certain teams, but he'll likely need a strong showing during NBA combine scrimmages to generate legit first-round interest.

44th pick in that one

Cam Christie caught scouts' attention this year with his smooth shotmaking and passing flashes for a 6'6", 18-year-old. Other scouts wanted to see more to buy in this early—he rarely got to the rim, and he grades as the draft's worst finisher on lay-up attempts.
Positional size, built-in-shooting and age will buy him time with certain teams, but he'll likely need a strong showing during NBA combine scrimmages to generate legit first-round interest.
Key part is "18-year-old." He's exactly the type that a team with no immediate needs or stashed draft picks would take a flyer on.

The Pistons pick in the 2nd round at 49. I think that's probably his floor. They desperately need some shooting.

Really incredible outlook from some purported fans on here to belittle a (soon to be former) Gopher about his professional prospects. He’s a really good player who - based on current info - would be drafted in the second round. That’s good for Cam and the program.
Yeah, has been surprising the way some on here have taken shots at Cam. Now if he comes back to college and transfers to another school that would be very disappointing but if he goes pro it is a good thing for the program even if it sucks for the 24-25 version of the Gophers.

Yeah, has been surprising the way some on here have taken shots at Cam. Now if he comes back to college and transfers to another school that would be very disappointing but if he goes pro it is a good thing for the program even if it sucks for the 24-25 version of the Gophers.
When he was hot mid season, so were the gophers. Then he cooled off, and so did the record. There’s a lot more to it than that, but we were a competitive team when he was on.

Top Bottom