Cam Christie = a young Quincy Lewis

That shot he hit when it was 45-40 MSU just jumps out at me every time I see it. That was a superstar move.

When he gets the strength and confidence to attack the basket off the dribble.....has a real chance to be a special player.
The one that jumps out to me was the quick pull to go up 51-48. He had been feeling it but patient for a few possessions… then just pulls the trigger with no hesitation in crunch time. Took guts since that wows like a 2 second possessions.

The kid is good! If he keeps playing like this we're tourney bound.

Lots of money being passed around college sports.
I think Cam’s not a hype guy and in his junior year would be option #1 on the squad, as currently constructed; Garcia would be the alpha if he came back next season IMO.

His dad played overseas IIRC and his mom has been successful in healthcare and live in a nice suburb of Chicago. I don’t think they’re hurting for cash.

He also had significantly better offers out of HS than us as the 84 ranked player/13 SG in his class. I think people forget what a big time recruit he was; especially then for us. He turned down Sparty to not follow in his brother’s footstep, indicative of being cut from a different cloth.

Sparty
OSU
Iowa
Illinois
Purdue
Virginia
Iowa State

He didn’t opt out like Evans did to chase a💰 before, so I think it makes it more likely he’ll stay, as it would have been easier to bail before getting on campus and building relationships,

He carries himself like a man on a mission and not a 17/18 teenager - he’s the next Bobby J - have some faith🙏. I see others as being higher risks.

I think Cam’s not a hype guy and in his junior year would be option #1 on the squad, as currently constructed; Garcia would be the alpha if he came back next season IMO.

His dad played overseas IIRC and his mom has been successful in healthcare and live in a nice suburb of Chicago. I don’t think they’re hurting for cash.

He also had significantly better offers out of HS than us as the 84 ranked player/13 SG in his class. I think people forget what a big time recruit he was; especially then for us. He turned down Sparty to not follow in his brother’s footstep, indicative of being cut from a different cloth.

Sparty
OSU
Iowa
Illinois
Purdue
Virginia
Iowa State

He didn’t opt out like Evans did to chase a💰 before, so I think it makes it more likely he’ll stay, as it would have been easier to bail before getting on campus and building relationships,

He carries himself like a man on a mission and not a 17/18 teenager - he’s next Bobby J - have some faith🙏. I see others as being higher risks.
Agreed there are higher risks of departing for money 💰 and Cam is the poster child for the culture Ben is trying to establish.

The cash available is what makes it hard to keep rosters of mid and low level teams together. It’s what we live with. I don’t like it and it does depress optimism about the future.

Agreed there are higher risks of departing for money 💰 and Cam is the poster child for the culture Ben is trying to establish.

The cash available is what makes it hard to keep rosters of mid and low level teams together. It’s what we live with. I don’t like it and it does depress optimism about the future.
It’s the world we live in now.

The serenity prayer has been helpful for me.

Sparty
OSU
Iowa
Illinois
Purdue
Virginia
Iowa State

He carries himself like a man on a mission and not a 17/18 teenager - he’s the next Bobby J - have some faith🙏. I see others as being higher risks.
I'm not sold Garcia would be the Alpha next year and I wonder if he wouldn't be content to not be the #1 option. He can take over games at times but he also fades into the background a lot.

Christie wants the ball in those clutch situations. I think we are seeing a changing of the guard right now as this is becoming Cam's team.

I'm not sold Garcia would be the Alpha next year and I wonder if he wouldn't be content to not be the #1 option. He can take over games at times but he also fades into the background a lot.
That wasn’t the main premise of my post; the gist was there are more reasons for him to stay than transfer. One of them being is that he will be option 1/alpha in his junior season and if he transfers, there’s much more uncertainty, as better teams frequently over recruit at your position as evidenced by Holloman, who is a backup PG and likely won’t be a full time starter ever in Sparty land, whereas Cam starts as a Freshman and his progression is accelerated by more minutes and being put in higher leverage situations.

It appears that recency bias and your Cam jersey, may be ☁️ you logic.

Garcia made the three that put us ahead of Sparty and he’s the main reason we beat NW -

Garcia sparks Minnesota in OT, Gophers rally to beat Northwestern 75-66​

Dawson Garcia drilled his first 3-pointer of the game with 2:31 left in overtime and followed it with five free throws as Minnesota came from nine-points down with under six minutes left in regulation to beat Northwestern 75-66 on Saturday.
Christie wants the ball in those clutch situations. I think we are seeing a changing of the guard right now as this is becoming Cam's team.
I think posters forget how much basketball Garcia missed his first two years until getting here, where’s he’s also missed a junk of games in both seasons.

He’s just scratched the surface and is still figuring out how good he can be. He has responded well to his preseason All B10 accolade by avg. 17.3, 7th in the conference. Impressed by his improvement from last season to this.

Regardless, it’s nice to have “luxury problems” to ponder for the first time in I don’t know how long.

That wasn’t the main premise of my post; the gist was there are more reasons for him to stay than transfer. One of them being is that he will be option 1/alpha in his junior season and if he transfers, there’s much more uncertainty, as better teams frequently over recruit at your position as evidenced by Holloman, who is a backup PG and likely won’t be a full time starter ever in Sparty land, whereas Cam starts as a Freshman and his progression is accelerated by more minutes and being put in higher leverage situations.

Garcia made the three that put us ahead of Sparty and he’s the main reason we beat NW -

Dawson Garcia drilled his first 3-pointer of the game with 2:31 left in overtime and followed it with five free throws as Minnesota came from nine-points down with under six minutes left in regulation to beat Northwestern 75-66 on Saturday.

I think posters forget how much basketball Garcia missed his first two years until getting here, where’s he’s also missed a junk of games in both seasons.

He’s just scratched the surface and is still figuring out how good he can be. He has responded well to his preseason All B10 accolade by avg. 17.3, 7th in the conference. Impressed by his improvement from last season to this.

Regardless, it’s nice to have “luxury problems” to ponder for the first time in I don’t know how long.
Don't get me wrong, Garcia is a very good basketball player and he has absolutely carried the team for stretches this year. I just don't sense the killer instinct from him in a lot of games.

I’m totally fine with Garcia returning to play “Robert Horry” to Cam Christie’s “Kobe”!

In fact, I’m ok with Garcia missing all his 3’s prior to the end of the game if he keeps CB coming up clutch.

#Big Shot Dawson

Cam is very special and has enormous potential, more than anyone on the team, I think. I just watched a highlight reel of Kobe and Cam reminds me a lot of a young Kobe: huge drive to succeed and be the best, great form and hang time on his jump shot, amazing court presence and basketball IQ. He has lots to learn too. But the sky is the limit for him. Love watching the way he moves without the ball.

Sparty
OSU
Iowa
Illinois
Purdue
Virginia
Iowa State

Transfers are often not about money. They are more about playing time, team environment and where is the team going next year.

Cam will be here next year. He is instrumental in a very big turnaround for Gopher basketball. That is an experience NIL money can't match, especially for someone who knows he will make real money down the road.

Ben Johnson doesn't coach alphas and sled dogs. Everybody is involved in the offense. I think there will be more effort next year to get Cam open for threes through ball movement and screens. But Ben understands, just like football offense, you need balance to prevent the defense from loading up the lane or pushing out the perimeter.

Cam, Dawson, and all the others will get plenty of opportunity to score. Without being a shot hog Cam will still be the leader because of high percentage.

Would Cam consider a jump to the NBA after this season? He's putting up better numbers than his brother did as a freshman and may end up being a better pro prospect.

Would Cam consider a jump to the NBA after this season? He's putting up better numbers than his brother did as a freshman and may end up being a better pro prospect.
Assume he will at least explore what his prospects would be draft wise.

Hopefully everyone feels he would benefit from another year or two of college before going pro 😎

Assume he will at least explore what his prospects would be draft wise.

Hopefully everyone feels he would benefit from another year or two of college before going pro 😎
He gets a free eval on what pro scouts feel he needs to work on in his game by opting in to the process.

Unless he’s a sure fire first rounder, makes zero sense to go, as second round money isn’t guaranteed.

He gets a free eval on what pro scouts feel he needs to work on in his game by opting in to the process.

Unless he’s a sure fire first rounder, makes zero sense to go, as second round money isn’t guaranteed.
Unless he feels he'll have better development in the G-league.

He wants to lead us to a sweet 16 and be revered by middle aged men to the next millennium
Whether you meant that to be dead serious or not, it is the actual fact. Cam will be a Gopher next year.

Whether you meant that to be dead serious or not, it is the actual fact. Cam will be a Gopher next year.
It was in jest and I was trying to assuage the concerns of another poster; in previous posts, I provide a detailed summation of my rationale in post #36. Not everything is literal 😉

It was in jest and I was trying to assuage the concerns of another poster; in previous posts, I provide a detailed summation of my rationale in post #36. Not everything is literal 😉
I understand everything is not literal and that is why I said I didn't know how serious you were or were not. Not wanting to put words in your mouth and so on.

Top Bottom